Great day fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Great day fishing

Post by onefishtwofish »

Tried several times over the summer to get my daughter her first red. She lost a couple on the way to the boat and just seemed to be snake bit. Someone would cast next to her and catch one and she would come up short. She has caught a lot of different fish, just reds seemed to elude her. Lots of Spanish and trout and ladyfish and a few sharks over the years. Was with me on one trip to Choctawhatchee Bay and we tore up the blues.

Today broke the jinx and she wound up with 2. Her first ever Red had 16 spots (breaking her Dad's 13 spot record). She also added a new species - Jack Crevalle. She fought them like a pro in some pretty good current, did not horse the fish and let the rod do the work
kj first red 1.JPG
kj first red 1.JPG (39.12 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
And #2 which was a better fish.
kj red.JPG
kj red.JPG (48.38 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Her Jack Crevalle. This one tired her out.
kj jack.JPG
kj jack.JPG (163.62 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
I got to have a little fun too. We were about out of bait and it was time to go when a big fish grabbed my mullet. We pulled anchor and chased him for quite a while. I put the max stress on the 20# braid and fought him for a while. My mono backing was visible when we finally got the boat turned and ready to chase. About 30 minutes later he was tired enough to pose for a picture. I popped the line and we headed in. All in all, 8 reds, all slot size, 1 jack, 1 close to 6' shark.
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (47.83 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Great day fishing

Post by silverking »

Nice way to break the jinx. That one with 16 spots would be a contender in the upcoming Seatrout Shootout.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I told her that would be in the running at any spot tourney.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Very nice. I've never caught a jack but last year I saw a school of them near the St. Marks bouy line. Maybe I'll get lucky this year.
The Back Porch
buoy37

Post by buoy37 »

Good job to both of you
Reel Navy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Navy »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Dear Lord, please let me be the kind of person my dog thought I was .....