Sheephead rigging

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Sheephead rigging

Post by Redbelly »

How do you like to rig up for catching the convicts? Hooks, lead, etc..... :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Sheephead rigging

Post by SS-342 »

Redbelly wrote:How do you like to rig up for catching the convicts? Hooks, lead, etc..... :D
:thumbup: :o
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Have only targeted sheepies with the fly rod lately, but in my previous life they were a mainstay winter fishery when I lived in Pensacola. We used to catch them by the dozens around the jetties and docks in the bay.

Since sheepshead are notorious for stealing baits and breaking off in the rocks, we'd pre-tie a bunch of rigs before the trip. My favorite for live shrimp (or fiddler crabs) is a 20-pound mono leader two feet long with a #1 Eagle Claw O'Shaughnessy bronze J-hook. I haven't tried circles, but I suspect they wouldn't work as well since the fish tend to nip the baits rather than inhale. Depending on the depth and current, I'd either slide a small egg sinker (as light as possible to detect the strikes, typically 1/4 or 3/8-ounce) on to the running line and then tie it to a small #7 barrel swivel (to act as a stop and minimize line twist) before tying on the tag end of the leader. If the current was slow enough, I'd simply crimp a couple small split shots on the running line above the swivel. These days I'd probably substitute fluorocarbon leader for the mono for less visibility.

For the pre-rig organization, take a large square of cardboard and cut slits on each side. Wrap the leaders through the slits and stick the hook point into the cardboard to secure. When you do get broke off, it's much quicker to add a weight and tie the running line to the new swivel so you're back in the water quickly.

Another old Cracker trick when fishing for sheepshead around docks and pilings: Take a shovel or hoe on board the boat and every so often, use it to scrape barnacles and oysters off the pilings. The bits of shell and scent act as chum and get the fish fired up to eat.

Sure others will chime in with their own variations, but this set-up worked well for me. My personal best using this rig was a 14-pounder taken on 8-pound line around the Perdido Key bridge fenders. It was a fun fight, and that guy sure tasted good battered and fried.

For you fly-flingers out there, try small shrimp or crab patterns in tans and browns. You might get one fish to eat for every dozen presentations, but when it does, it's fun!
bman

Post by bman »

My slight variations...
Fluoro leader is a MUST. both for sight and abrasion resistance
#1 Silver hook- just how I got taught.
Fiddler crabs are the way to go- put two on the hook. they get the first and come back for another bite ;-)
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Barry,
Fluorocarbon wasn't invented yet when I started fishing for sheepshead many moons ago. We still caught our fair share on mono. I'd definitely take every advantage and use it today, though. And I always preferred the bronze since it matched the baits better. But you've caught a bunch I know and you were probably taught by an old master (like your dad, right?). :wink:
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

One tip that I don't see mentioned above - when you get a hit from a sheepshead, don't set the hook right away. Instead, apply a slight pressure to your line and you will feel the sheephead begin to move away from you. Then drop the rod tip, let the line tighten again and set the hook. I was taught this by an old fishing partner who was hooking twice as many as I was several years ago and it definitely works.

Good luck cleaning the d@mn things. I don't keep them much anymore because they are tough as nails to clean and as prickly as a cactus.

- Steve Stinson
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I want to blacken some.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

I feel the hook is critical. 1/0 owner shiner hook baited with fiddler or crab, egg sinker of choice 8-10 inches from the hook on 20# flouro. Shiner hook is the equivalent to Kahle style. Eagle claw works for a short while but it will get crushed out of shape and dull in a hurry. The bend of the hook gets them right behind the front teeth set under the force of their jaws. Good luck!
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

And an saltwater electric knife if your successful as Steve states.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

Try cutting them into cubes and cooking in Old Bay Shrimp Boil. Mmmm. Poor man's lobster. Don't forget the drawn butter.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Mister Mullet are you saying boil the cubes in Old Bay Shrimp boil, drain and butter?

Sounds good enough to try!

Thanks
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Cut a piece of rubber sunglass holder and slide it on the shank of the #1 hook, they seem to hold it better rather than spitting it as they swim away.

Gut them and bake them whole with the head on. You can debone them with a fork. Also their roe is very mild compared to Mullet. Tasty!
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

In the winter time I fish with oysters around pilings. But with oysters the second you feel anything you set the hook. With crabs the sheep-head with bite and crush the crab and spit it out. Then they come back and take the soft meat. It's not that way with oysters, they just suck them in.
I use super strong black owner hooks. The lighter gauge hooks don't last very long with sheep-head. I do love me some sheep-head.