St Marks Redfishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

St Marks Redfishing

Post by Dockwilson »

I launched from the lighthouse this morning just after daylight. A couple hours before low tide and windy. Headed east @3 miles and started working my way inshore. Got in 1-2' water around some rocks and oyster bars. I was using a Strike King Spot Tail Special Softbaits w/ a New Penny Gulp replacing the soft bait. Not much happening till right at low tide. Mullett everywhere. Noticed the only time I would get a bump is when I threw near the mullet. Finally I caught a short red near a rock pile. As I was landing it I saw 2 larger reds dart past the boat. Fishing by myself, I got on the bow w/ the trolling motor and pulled the Yammy up to move in @ 16" . I had another big red dart by and fumbled the cast.
Then I looked to my left @ 20' from me are 6-8 big reds tailing in one spot with all there heads together. I pitched just past them and brought it right to them. One hammered it and we were off to the races. The 10 lb braid was screaming my drag. What a blast. Wore him down and boated a nice 30". Saw a few more run past me in the next hour, but no more hook ups. But I want to do that AGAIN.
My first Red in this boat and my largest red so far. And my first time sight casting to them.
Would have been good to have a keeper, but still a blast.

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Redfishing

Post by onefishtwofish »

i think they fight better in the shallow water. nice fish
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice!
The Back Porch
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

Nice red. I saw you out there, you actually passed me in town too. I was pulling the light blue panga. That's a nice set up you got, how did it handle in that chop?
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

salty tiger wrote:Nice red. I saw you out there, you actually passed me in town too. I was pulling the light blue panga. That's a nice set up you got, how did it handle in that chop?
I had to throttle back a little on the way back. I was getting a little wet.
I did not see you, I was whipped on the way home. I think I missed a stop light too. :-D
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

salty tiger wrote:Nice red. I saw you out there, you actually passed me in town too. I was pulling the light blue panga. That's a nice set up you got, how did it handle in that chop?
Just looked up Panga. I did see you this am before daylight right? I saw" Andros" on your boat, did not know they were the same. Very nice rig you got. :thumbup:
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

We went for a little while Sat. A little breezy. Nice fish.