New Rod/Reel report

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

New Rod/Reel report

Post by Chalk »

Got to try my new Abu C4/Bass Pro XPS Combo (7 foot rod, medium action) this weekend....In a nut shell, I love it, it threw jigs and stick baits very well, tried a few flukes, did okay, still getting used to the combo, should do okay as soon as we get better acquainted (more fishing :-D )...Drag was good and smooth, had one good trout make several good runs on me, no problem...Only complaint is having to get used to the bait clicker button on the reel and the line looked like it was touching the blank near the end of the rod. I'm planning on ordering another one (Medium Heavy action) for strike indicator fishing ( :roll: ) and live baiting.....

I spooled it with Trilene Big Game, but after three mishaps this weekend, I'm gonna try some Triple Fish, I will let you know how it works out for me... :thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Kewl.. Sounds good. How about Ande back country for line.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

That is what CSMarine uses so I got to try something else :wink: :lol:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Yeah ds, after his 2nd mishap I tried to treat him to a free spool-up of Back Country, but he said something to the effect of "No thanks, I believe your the one that got me to use this sorry ole big game."
I did, I admit it. However the last few spools of the gun metal gray color Big Game in 12lb was pretty sorry. Acted like it was old.
I'm sold on the "blue" Ande. (Back Country)
Semper Fi
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

:thumbup: :thumbup:I'm sold on the "blue" Ande. (Back Country) :thumbup: :thumbup:
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Chalk, I have about seven or so of the C3's in 5500 and 6500. I was wondering how the C3's stack up against the C4's. If you've had experience with the C3's, post a comparison so I can decide if I want to buy a C4. I have to buy at least one new combo a year, so I will one day be able to have a rod on my boat rigged with every bait imaginable, and always at the ready. :lol:
Fish Masterson
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I don't have any C3s FishMasterson, I have an old 5000 and a 5600CL. I had to get use to the thumb bar and bait clicker button, my other two do not have either. It looked like some of my dads old Abu's as far as style and appearance, pretty smooth reel. I'm going to buy another combo like it in a medium heavy for rattl'n cork and bait fishing.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I use mostly C3"s FM. There is a big difference. The only C3 that has a thumbar as far as I know is the 4600C3. The rest have push button. Last weekend, Chalk could chunk the C4 a good deal further than my C3's. I picked his up to admire it, it was amazing how much smother the C4 was compared to my C3. Plus as Chalk mentioned, the C4 has the bait clicker. I have a small problem with my right thumb. I have to use the push button reels. My bum thumb won't stand up all day with a thumb bar, so I have to stick with the C3's or else I would get a C4. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
LEDSLED

Post by LEDSLED »

Just my opinion but there both fine reels, I would however recommend a C4 to a person who was unfamiliar with baitcast reels due to the fact that I thought it had a little better cast control also I may be wrong but I think the blue is an anadized coating
Rip Them Lips!
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Thanks for the reports guys, I think I'll have to save up those pennies and get one of those C4's. I just hope I won't like it to much more than my C3's or I will have a whole lot of wasted money in the collection I have so far. :lol:
P.S. The C3's have the bait click in the 6500's. I have three of these and usually use them when I'm draggin live bait. The 5500's don't have the clicker, but that's not a problem because those are the ones I chuck lures and grubs with. Do all the C4 models have bait clicks or is it certain models as the C3's have?
Fish Masterson