Bay fishing?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

gdiddy

Bay fishing?

Post by gdiddy »

My summer trip to the bend is finally planned. For the first time I will be bringing a boat. (I settled on a 18' procraft fish & ski with a 115 merc, for those of you involved in the previous post "Which Boat to float").
My question is, are there any species I can fish for in Ochlockonee Bay, besides reds and trout the latter part of June?
I have read of Sheephead, flounder, gray snapper, and sea bass; but have yet to catch any of them.

P.S. Dog Island Reef looks like an inviting fishing spot if the weather is right. Does it hold fish? Would it welcome the effort of a small vessel in the right conditions? And finally, can you tell I don't know a lick about the gulf? :oops:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

If the weather is good, you have a lot of range in an 18' ProCraft. You could easily run to Piney Island from Ochlockonee Bay. Or, go the other direction, to Mud Cove. Also, there are other places to launch within easy driving distance of Ochlockonee Bay. You could put in at Panacea, Bottoms, or a little longer drive to Lanark. You should have no problem fishing Dog Island Reef on a calm day.
What was I supposed to do today?
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Dog Island Reef is one of my absolute favorite places. You're actually in range or closer to Ochlocknee reef if you're coming out of the river/bay. Both reefs, really shoals, are consistent for spanish & blues. I use topwater most of the time. I'd also really suggest setting up a chum line out there for other critters, cobia, sharks, kings...
In June I wouldn't fish in the bay.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

I've had decent luck with spanish (and a cobia now and then) at the tripod that's about a mile or so out from Ball Point. Just anchor up in the area and chum 'em up. I would think the oyster bars there at the mouth would be decent for reds, spanish and flounder in June but others here would probably know better than me.
gdiddy

Post by gdiddy »

Thanks for the help, these were exactly the replies that I was hoping for.I am having trouble finding 3 of the areas suggested though. First is Mud Cove, secondly is the tripod(south of Bald Point), and lastly is Ochlocknee Reef. Bare in mind I am using the area map provided by this site. Just trying to be prudent, I would hate to end up rolling cigars for Castro because of navigational ambiguity :smt028 .

Thanks again for all your help