To run fuel out or not in an outboard motor?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fishman
Site Sponsor

To run fuel out or not in an outboard motor?

Post by Fishman »

I've always run the gas out of my motor when I'm done fishing and haven't ever had any problems.The one time I didn't and the boat sat for a month I had to have a carb rebuilt.According to the mechanic this was caused by not running the fuel out of the motor.But I have also heard its not good to do so cause it could dry out the gaskets ect in the motor.Whats yall's opinon on this?
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: To run fuel out or not in an outboard motor?

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I LEAVE THE FUEL IN MY OUTBOARD ENGINE, MAINLY BECAUSE I RUN IT IN THE WINTER ON THE RABBIT EARS HERE AT THE HOUSE AT LEAST 1 TIME A MONTH
THE LAST TIME I FILL THE TANK UP IN THE FALL , I ADD AN EXTRA OZ. OR TWO OF CONDITIONER, I USE ONLY ETHANOL FREE GAS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I'm like you! Both ways have problems and advantages. I doctor my gas with additives and leave it in the carb now but try to run the engine every two weeks.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Different engines can impact this too... back in the day I had an Evinrude 90 that was one of the early oil injection engines. Had always ran an old school 2 stroke with gas and oil mixed in the can so I would run the gas out when done... problem was the E-rudes oil injection mixed insaide the carb so I ran it out of gas but it was putting oil in the carb still so I gunked them up quickly. After that I ran Stabil and ran it once or twice a month and never had a problem. Now I have a 4 stroke Yammy and I run non-ethanol gas and stabilizer and I try to make sure I put it in some salt water at least once a month since life is too short to not fish!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
CarolinaJim

Post by CarolinaJim »

Been my experience that the motor quits before the bowls are completely empty. This leaves less fuel to evaporate over time and sludge forms at the bottom of the bowls. I leave fuel in and run at least once a month or more. My 1982 Johnson manual states that letting an outboard sit for extended periods without running will cause issues.
My electronics cost more than my boat,motor, and trailer.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:I LEAVE THE FUEL IN MY OUTBOARD ENGINE, MAINLY BECAUSE I RUN IT IN THE WINTER ON THE RABBIT EARS HERE AT THE HOUSE AT LEAST 1 TIME A MONTH
THE LAST TIME I FILL THE TANK UP IN THE FALL , I ADD AN EXTRA OZ. OR TWO OF CONDITIONER, I USE ONLY ETHANOL FREE GAS.
PA
SEMPER FI
Same here
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

My 2 stroke motors sit idle for 6 months at a time, then they get used for a couple of weeks and it's another 6 months in storage. I always run the gas out, and then I take the cover off and empty the filter jar. At that point I am hoping that they are bone dry. It seems to work for me.
Also I use Stabil, but I've never hesitated to pour 50 to 1 mix into a car or truck tank when I thought it was getting old. When I bought the Parker it had about 15 gallons of gas in the tank that I had no idea of the age. The trailer tags were over a year expired so that told me something. I emptied the tank 5 gallons at a time and put it in my half full truck tank. I don't think I'd do more then 5 gallons at a time, and a half tank in the truck is over 15 gallons so it's pretty diluted. I never noticed a difference, and the truck didn't complain a bit.
Boat tanks for outboards are easy to siphon. Pull the end off of the hose and use the squeeze ball to get the siphon going.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Concerning two stroke engines: I spoke with an outboard mechanic and we both agreed(I am an auto mech) that since the lubrication for a two stroke comes from the oil in the fuel, it might rob the internal parts of some lubrication if you run the fuel out. I also spoke to another outboard guy who suggested not running it dry, but instead, removing the bowl on each carb and emptying it between uses. A good fuel conditioner is a must.

As far as four stroke goes, use a good conditioner, ethanol free fuel when possible and run out all the fuel.
Last edited by fishinfool on November 15th, 2012, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

My concern with the oil in the gas has always been.....what is going to happen in the carburetor ports if the gas evaporates and leaves the oil behind? If that happens what is then going to keep the oil from hardening up?
Some guys run the gas out and then pull the plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinders. I don't, but I probably should.
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

fishinfool wrote:Concerning two stroke engines: I spoke with an outboard mechanic and we both agreed(I am and auto mech) that since the lubrication for a two stroke comes from the oil in the fuel, it might rob the internal parts of some lubrication if you run the fuel out. I also spoke to another outboard guy who suggested not running it dry, but instead, removing the bowl on each carb and emptying it between uses. A good fuel conditioner is a must.

As far as four stroke goes, use a good conditioner, ethanol free fuel when possible and run out all the fuel.

Was told the same thing. Dry was bad.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Everyone has an opinion. Here's mine. Whether you run the motor every two weeks or not, gas gets old, especially mixed with oil. It's been my experience to try not to have that full tank of fuel left over if your not going to fish for a few months. Mix a gallon or so at a time just to exercise the motor. Add Sta-bil or Seafoam or an additive if it's going to set. Try to crank the motor ever two weeks at least. That's for a two stroke. Never owned a four banger. Anyone with a little knowledge can smell the fuel and tell if it's getting old. It has a distinct smell. Huggins Outboard in Albany told me that any ethanol mixed fuel over one month old should not be used, and any ethanol free gas without additive, six weeks.

salute2
Semper Fi
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I was going to crack the bowl drains on my carbs, but I can't reach the bottom two, so gas stays in it. I do run ethanol free gas exclusively, and add seafoam, one can per tank.

that said, my dad always ran they gas out of his outboard, and I do run it out of my generator and pressure washer. No fuel shutoff on my boat so I don't bother.
850-273-8818