Knife for field dressing deer

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Knife for field dressing deer

Post by lonesouth »

I've got several knives in different shapes and sizes and am curious about which will be best for field dressing a deer. Though I could use it as an excuse to buy another knife, I'd rather use one that I already have if it will do the job well.

Walther P99 Tactical

Crafted out of 440C stainless steel, the 11 inch Walther® P99 Tactical Knife is truly a versatile defensive tool. The 5-1/2 inch spear-point razor and false edged blade is partially serrated on one side and promises quick and decisive action with a bite. Sure-grip rubber Kraton® handle provides maximum control and the wide steel guard adds essential protection during thrusts. Comes with the popular Walther® ballistic nylon sheath rigged for boot, belt or shoulder harness carrying options.

NOTE: the back of the spear point is not sharpened.

Kershaw Leek

- Blade: 440A Stainless-Steel
- Rockwell Hardness Rating: 55-57
- Handle: 410 stainless-steel
- Finish: Bead-Blasted Stainless-Steel
- Blade: 3″ (7.5 cm)
- Closed: 4″ (10.3 cm)
- Weight: 3.1oz
- Warranty: Kershaw Limited Lifetime

NOTE: I am a little concerned that this would be slippery with blood on it, not willing to test this theory with my own though.

Kershaw Scallion

Steel: 420HC, bead-blasted finish
Handle: 6060-T6 anodized aluminum
Blade length: 2 1/4 in. (5.8 cm)
Closed length: 3 1/2 in. (8.4 cm)
Overall length: 5 3/4 in. (14.6 cm)
Weight: 2.3 oz.

NOTE:The handle on this one is better textured.
850-273-8818
RCS
Site Sponsor

Re: Knife for field dressing deer

Post by RCS »

I would go with one of the Kershaw's...they're going to be much more dextrous in the hand than the Walther, and will allow you to be more precise. I like the ergonomics of the Scallion, but I'm not a fan of serated blades for this application. I would most likely go with the Leek.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Case 2 blade trapper :thumbup: :thumbup:
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Gulf Coast wrote:Case 2 blade trapper :thumbup: :thumbup:
x2 on the trapper or similar style pocket knife. All you need is a small blade to do the job. Easier on the hands than a large knife too.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

above
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

of the three options go with the Kershaw Leek. If you try using a double sided blade you'll either pierce the membrane and enter the guts, making the process a heck of lot more difficult, or you'll have some holes in your fingers. Never been a fan of serated blades.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

Try a WYOMING Knife, it's easy to carry and will open a deer like pulling a zipper no worry about cutting Guts, and works great for skinning, only about $20.00 bucks and when the blade gets dull just put in a new one.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I just used whatever knife was in my pocket. As long as it is sharp, any knife will work. Cut skin from the non hair side to keep from dulling your blade. Just practice a little. Most of the skinning is by pulling rather than cutting.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Gulf Coast wrote:Case 2 blade trapper :thumbup: :thumbup:

If my pants/shorts are on this is what I carry and do all of my skinning with. find one with carbon steel if you can and not stainless. A case sod buster if you prefer a lock blade.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I am NOT an expert on this subject but I decided to spend $20 on this knife:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z5 ... 00_s00_i02

Sharp as heck with a finger guard. The knife is not a folder so you won't get stuff down in the joint or the hollow handle. Carbon steel blade will not stay pretty for long. Have to wipe with mineral oil after cleaning/sharpening and you're fine.