Close Airboats

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redbelly7

Close Airboats

Post by redbelly7 »

Have any of you had experiences w/ airboats coming extremely close to you while fishing? Yesterday the same guy came within casting distance twice right over where we were casting to. Is this proper etiquette? And how is the best way to handle this type of behavior?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Close Airboats

Post by fishinfool »

Not sure about how to approach the captain, but it certainly is not good etiquette. I put it in the same league as jet skiers that come within casting distance. Had a bass buddy who ripped a jet skier's vest with a treble hooked plug....he got the idea. Not that I am suggesting anyone do that.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I could have easily cast right in their face, but there were two teenish looking kids down low and didn't feel it was worth it.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Next time make the cast. If the teens do not learn respect early in life,they will act just like the idiot.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

fishinfool wrote:Not sure about how to approach the captain, but it certainly is not good etiquette. I put it in the same league as jet skiers that come within casting distance. Had a bass buddy who ripped a jet skier's vest with a treble hooked plug....he got the idea. Not that I am suggesting anyone do that.

I have seen a few bass boaters that needed their clock wound too....WOT passing boats through channels too narrow to do so....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

Not had the problem with airboats but while fishing at st. marks this week we had a boat run between us and the shore... We were 25 yards from the shore! Makes ya think if their crazy enough to drive that close then their crazy enough to retaliate if you do something to em.
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

MuleTrainGA wrote:Not had the problem with airboats but while fishing at st. marks this week we had a boat run between us and the shore... We were 25 yards from the shore! Makes ya think if their crazy enough to drive that close then their crazy enough to retaliate if you do something to em.
That was JT51, that is his route to the rock garden from what I hear.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Next time make the cast. If the teens do not learn respect early in life,they will act just like the idiot.
This :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

it doesn't matter it's airboats ,bass boats or whatever some people are just rude
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Next time make the cast. If the teens do not learn respect early in life,they will act just like the idiot.
Bingo, we have a winner.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

This ruins my entire trip!! Because i go way out of my way to respect another boats safety and fishing grounds, if i am in that much of a hurry, i shouldn't be fishin!! And most of the time it is someone who "knows better"!! Last time i fished Jacksonville, a fishing guide(name on the side of his boat) kind of went out of his way to run between my boat and the shoreline that i was obviously "working"!! Well i took it "to say" this is MY fishing area - get out".... Later, after i stopped "boiling", and was on my way in, this same boat was fishing off a nice quiet point. I acted like i didn't even see him and did two circles around his boat, then continued on to the ramp...
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Then there is the flip side of this where you have people fishing in the river channels and get all pissed off because you are running on plane by them. In these rivers at lower tides, if you don't run on plane, you stop!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I agree Dubble, I was on my way in and felt bad about not slowing down for folks in the river, but there was nothing that I could do. I really feel that they understood.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

then you have those who insist on anchoring in the middle of the channel
CarolinaJim

Post by CarolinaJim »

I agree that people should be more courteous in all boats. However, air boats are a whole subject to themselves the noise they produce is enough to cause permanent hearing damage. Those guys run that close wearing ear protection knowing you, me and others are not. That is an act of violence in my opinion and fully warrants swift overwhelming violent retaliation in self defense. This especially true if children are on board my boat.
My electronics cost more than my boat,motor, and trailer.