Droid, IPhone, what's the real deal?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Droid, IPhone, what's the real deal?

Post by Rhettley »

I'm hitting the upgrade time on Dec. 20th. I'll probably just keep the Droid X I have now but I've been wondering if the newer phones are really any better. The wife has the Droid Razr and it seems to be decent but I've never really picked it up and played with it. I do like the turn by turn gps you get for free. I'd hate to give that up. The camera on both Droids pretty much sucks. The teen princess has the Droid razr too but she's not really a wealth of info on electronics. What color it comes in and if it's cool is more important than if it works. As long as it texts, tweets, and she can take pictures of herself she is good with it.
What about an IPhone? I'm not an Apple fan. I don't own an Ipod and my computer is an HP. Seems like the camera is superior but we do have a very nice Canon for pictures. I keep hearing apps are free on Droid but have to be purchased on Iphones. True?
So what I use a phone for is... well a phone if I can get a signal..., texting some, checking and writing emails, camera for spur of the moment pics, google for finding info, often store locations, hours and phone numbers, and directions there, surfing the web on fishing forums and facebook. I have a handheld Garmin so I haven't tried using the phone gps on the water. Got seatow app but not navionics.
While I'm at it, has anyone tried one of the unlimited talk, text, data smartphone plans from Verizon, Walmart, etc? Some say unlimited but it appears you have to purchase more minutes once you hit a mark. I might be better off keeping it on the wife's plan which is about $75 per phone after her hospital discount.
Badbagger

Re: Droid, IPhone, what's the real deal?

Post by Badbagger »

I use my Samsung Galaxy SII which is an AT&T phone. I use it on Straight Talk and have now for a good long whil as does the wife. $45 per month and we have NEVER had to buy more minutes. It's NOT the phone from Walmart since that's on the Sprint Network. I bought the phones on fleabay and then the Sim chip from straightalksim.com. Popped in the sim and programed the phone. Voila and done. I'm on the AT&T network WITHOUT the AT&T prices. BEST thing I ever did. Cost us $90 per month for two phones. I have zero issues with service anywhere in the area.

Have a look: http://www.straighttalksim.com/
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

My Droid Bionic takes better pictures than the iphone. The apps sometimes take more figuring than with apple. The google maps are FAR superior to the new crappy apple map. I am on verizon, because their coverage beats ATT hands down around here. Price at verizon stinks! I will be switching to the verizon version of straight talk when my contract runs out. I've not heard anyone having to buy anything extra. My son uses it now and loves it. Iphone is easy to use and has a lot of easy apps. You can put them on straight talk after your contract runs out as well.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I have an older Iphone and really like it. I use Mapquest app for directions instead of the Apple mapping feature. I'd get another Iphone, if I upgraded.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Simple.

If you like doing it the way Apple decides you do it, buy the Iphone.

If you want to do it your way, get an Android.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

I made the "switch" away from Verizon last year. Best thing I ever did. I use PagePlus(you can do everything over their website). I pay $55 per month for unlimited Talk, text, and data. That's all I pay. No taxes, fees, contracts or other crap. With Verizon, the same plan cost me about $120 per month after everything, so thats a savings of $65 per month or almost $700 per year--wow!

Pageplus uses the Verizon tower network(the best in my opinion), so there is no difference in coverage. My wife's line is $39 per month for unlimited talk and text plus enough data for emailing and some web stuff.

The best thing is we still use our Droid X phones that we had when we were with Verizon. We can transfer any phone we want over to the new network. The Droid X has been a pretty damn tough phone. I have used mine for work for two years now and it's still running strong. I have also heard good things about the new Razr and Galaxy II phones. I just like that I can go buy a new Droid X on Amazon for under $150. They still work great, so why spend a lot more $ for one of the newer designs?
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Unlimited Verizon Iphone, have yet to ever need anything this phone would not do. speed galore - I am a fan. More than 75 dollars per month though. Good luck with your choice, I think you can't go wrong either way.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Had BB, Droid...now I'm on my second iphone....it just works, simple to use
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

Been through 3 different iPhones and 2 Androids and I prefer the iPhones. The last thing I want to do is deal with my phone like it's a crappy computer, and that's how Android can be.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Droid MAXX
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

As far as phones go, my Casio Commando is awesome. There are some features that others have that are not available with the Commando, but it is rugged! Water proof to 10 feet, dust and shock resistant. As a mechanic, I drop it on concrete frequently. Have bounced wrenches off it. It has been salt water soaked a couple of times, and it keeps on ticking. I have taken it in the shower and washed it to get the salt and shop grime off it, and it looks like new again.
I will leave one caveat, the battery life leaves a lot to be desired. There is not an extended life battery available. I keep an auxiliary battery pack with me on the boat, just in case. Other than that, I am happy with it.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have an iphone and am very happy with it. There are a lot of free apps with the iphone but in my opinion I will usually spend the $0.99 or $1.99 for the full blown version to avoid the ads that come with the free apps. A lot of people bash Apple just because they have become so large but there is a reason they have become this large, their products work and are simple to use.
Daybreak

Post by Daybreak »

Droid

Daybreak
CarolinaJim

Post by CarolinaJim »

Bought my daughter an iPhone 5 for her birthday 9 days ago, on Friday had to send it back to apple to be repaired. If something goes wrong and it is not fixed with factory reset or new sim card it is back to apple. They are not exchanged in the carries store no matter what protection/apple care you buy, all other brands are exchanged in store. Also, expect if not fixed in the store apple is going to make you try to fix it on at least 3 computers before they will let you send it back. Also, expect to stand in line behind other i phone 5 owners trying to get theirs fixed. Also expect both your carrier and apple to try to upsell you on additional apple care even though you still have to send your phone back to apple to be repaired. You can take it to an actual Apple store for repair and at their discretion than can replace from their stock but they do not have to.
My electronics cost more than my boat,motor, and trailer.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Good info. Thanks! I'm reading em.