Ecofina - Wednesday

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

charlie tuna

Ecofina - Wednesday

Post by charlie tuna »

Left the ramp 7:00 AM during the last hour of the incoming tide. Water was 73 degrees - wind blowing out of the East at a "CONSTANT" 15 mph, overcast sky with a few rain drops just here and there. Ran North and started casting artificials on some points. Saw very little bait and no surface activity. Tried an assortment of lures. had a few follow ups with surface plugs, but no strikes! Finally, reached for a white gulp shrimp, and that showed some results. Quickly i caught a 26 inch red(kept) and a 20 incher which was released. I think the tide hit full high and the fish shutdown? Moved around and went up two different creeks without seeing any action and zero hits. Went back to the points and caught another red 22 inches on the white gulp which was released. Lost two rigged gulps to mackrel. Was loaded back on the trailer by 11:00 AM. Good trip, little chilly though !
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Ecofina - Wednesday

Post by SS-342 »

CharlieTuna, thanks for the good fishing report! Seems to be the story lately about the bite shutting down after high tide. If this is true, does anyone know the reason?

We went out of Keaton Tuesday. Beautiful day but the bite was very slow. White /chart tail gulp the go to bait - if there was one. Got in late and fished after low tide to high tide when the bite stopped almost completely.

Thanks for the report!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

There have been times when i could see the reds, and they would follow the lures, but seldom strike them. Then hit a 30 minute period of solid action, and right back to following anything you throw at them??? I think that is why, whatever you are throwing at "THAT" time, you automatically figure this is the "go to" lure??? As long as they are eating, you dare not change to something else?? Tide and current sure has it's effects on redfish in particular!!!
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Yeah, every time I think we have figured out the tides & moon, we get handed a day that yields only 25' of action w/ live bait when we thought the conditions were much more favorable. Oh we'll, that's why it's called fishing instead of catching. The weather means everything, though. You can have the optimal tide w/ a good moon phase, then match that up w/ an east wind @ 15 to 20 it's.& it blows everything else out of the H2O.
Tight lines

Bullet