Migratory grouper?

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bream Reaper

Migratory grouper?

Post by Bream Reaper »

I have heard several opinions on this and I would like to hear yours. during the cool months I have no problem catching grouper but, as soon as season opens I begin to struggle catching keepers. Same goes with red snapper. I have done a little diving during the summer months and I don't see the numbers I believe are there in other months. Do the bigger ones move deeper in search of cooler water. Do red grouper have worms because they stay behind in the warmer water?
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Re: Migratory grouper?

Post by Rhettley »

Can't sleep so I'll take a crack at an answer. I was told by a buddy who dives that basically they stay put. Some might move to deeper or back to shallower water due to the heat, storms, wanderlust, whatever, but a lot won't. The reason the bite gets tough in the summer is the rocks, reefs, and natural bottom are loaded with bait fish this time of year. The grouper can be lazy and picky about what they eat during the summer whereas during the winter the abundance of bait isn't there so they are in a more energetic take what I can get before somebody else eats it mode.
One way I've found to get the bite started is to have most everyone drop down a dead bait first instead of going for that big lively pinfish in the baitwell. The frozen boston mackerel or LY chunk is smelly and oily and the little fish start pecking it to pieces. The smell in the water and the activity of the smaller fish feeding get the bigger fish in the mood. Send that big pinfish down then and see if you get better results.
Ifishtoo

Re: Migratory grouper?

Post by Ifishtoo »

Rhettley, I'm 62, I think you have hit it on the head. Can't say about those fish under 2 lbs, but I believe the others don't "migrate". The rough weather and water temps might send them wandering. Often wondered if they move any during episodes of Red Tide? Do they try to move, but don't escape it? They must move around some, but moving more than a mile, over open sandy bottom, seems unlikely

Summer time full moon might be some of the best times to catch them....... but I'm talking sun down, during the night, and at dawn. I've have many good bites during summer time............ but few ever happened during 8-5. Deeper waters, forget it. Never have caught grouper at night in 200+ ft.