Keaton 4/10

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

Keaton 4/10

Post by tin can »

I intentionally fished by myself today so I could do some experimenting.

Launched at the Keaton public ramp at 0625 this morning. Ran north to the Yates Creek area. The water was slick, stained, 70 degrees, and no wind early. I stuck with hard baits most of the day. The first fish came at 0715 in 2.5 feet of water. A 23" trout caught on a rattling jerk minnow. I stayed in the area until 0815, and started moving out, as the tide was falling. I caught a few shorts along the way. What low tide there was happened about 1130. I didn't land another keeper until the tide started moving in. During the low tide I ran south to meet up with a friend and his son. I was going to speak to Redmann and Wet Jet, but they heard me say I was headed their way, and left. I guess they didn't want to be around me today. :smt102 I fished the rest of the day in the Piney area. The water was near gin clear and 73 degrees. The next keeper came at 1215 in 4.5 feet of water. A 16" trout, released to be caught another day. Occasionally I would pick up a Cajun Thunder for a few casts. The CT never produced a solid keeper for me, today. I threw a Catch 2000 and a Catch Jr. most of the afternoon. At 1700 I had a limit of keeper trout, all over 18", and one 23" spanish. I also missed several fish, and had numerous fish follow the bait to the boat, and not take it.

The bite was slow for me today. I never found any concentration of fish. But I'm now thoroughly convinced tht even on a slow day a hard bait will produce larger fish than soft plastics.
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Sounds like you had a good time and I agree completely with your conclusions.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I'm always game for experimenting :o , sounds like a good time on the water. :thumbup:
ALMAR

Keaton fishing

Post by ALMAR »

Hi John,, glad you were able to get a few today, looked like it was going to be a good day. I have always caught more larger trout on top water hard baits that with the plastic . I do not know where the trout have gone to, the last 3 trips to St.Marks just have not produced fish, we only caught one this last trip, it was 24" but that was the only strike we had. The trip before we did not even get the first strike. I guess I am going to move to another spot next week. Maybe over to Mashes Sands, we caught 33 over there week before last fishing by moonlite, havent tried that spot during the day.
Pa
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: WTG, John.
Sounds like a good day, even if it was slow. the last big trout I caught was over at Keaton on a catch jr.
Yours in the South
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great report John. :thumbup: I agree with the rest of the folks that the moving hard baits attract larger fish. :-D I'm glad to see the water temp improving :-D
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I agree that most of the fish caught on hardbaits seem to be good sized, but I fished a soft plastic on Friday and today. I landed about 12 trout yesterday that were over 18, with three of those over 20. I also caught a 9lb, 29in Red that had to be released :cry: . I caught very few fish under this size yesterday. Today, I had one 22incher, and a dozen or so between 15-18. Almost completly opposite results as the day before, aside from the one nice trout .
Also, I believe that 80% of the really big trout I have caught(4.5lbs+) have been on soft plastics. So I would'nt count the soft plastics out of the big fish game by a long shot. Who knows what the fish want from one day to the next.
Fish Masterson
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Fish, I agree with you. Who knows what they want?

Thanks for reminding me to be versatile. I know that what worked yesterday might not work today. I suppose that's why I carry four rods and a storage box full of tackle. :o
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Would anyone agree with the theory that good sized hard baits are better at NOT catching small trout? Seems plausible to me that if you aren't spending time catching and releasing the small ones you increase your odds of a bigger fish taking the bait.

Yeah, I know, I've caught a six inch trout on a Top Dog too. : )
Ken
wetjet

Post by wetjet »

hey TC - jody said you were around and i was looking forward to seeing you but we had to leave early cause my folks are in town for Easter so we took off

see you at take a kid fishing this weekend??

wetjet
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Wet Jet, Jodie said you heard I was coming your way and you left. Something about not having to look at someone that ugly. :wink:

See ya Saturday.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Nice report John.. :thumbup:
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Sorry I missed you TC. How did Jodie wind up doing?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Good job TC. We stayed north in the dark water Sat. and Sun. Almost headed to Piney Point when I saw all the black water at yates, but stuck it out. Turned on my radio a few times, but mostly kept it off for the peace and quite. Wish I'd known ya'll were at Keaton. Sounds like we had a full BBF crew over there Saturday.
Semper Fi