Roll Gunnel Sea Chaser

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kom06

Roll Gunnel Sea Chaser

Post by kom06 »

Does anyone have any experience with the 21' Rolled Gunnel Sea Chasers. I found an 02 Sea Chaser 2100 RG with a single Suzuki DT 150 EFI Counter Rotation. Boat is in good shape. Any one here ever own one of these boats and/or motors and have an opinion on them? Price spending range is between $5 and 7k. So please don't suggest I buy a pathfinder or Everglades. Thanks y'all.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Roll Gunnel Sea Chaser

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I had a 22' Bay Runner which had a very similar hull & loved that boat. The fit & finish of the Sea Chaser boats is not a nice as the Pathfinders & Rangers but they are very solid boats.
Showboat hit a bunch of stuff with mine and it was no worse for the wear.
I can't comment on the Suk but the boat is probably worth the money depending on the care it's had.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Had a buddy with a Kenner roll gunnel. That thing was bullet proof.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
flatbrokeI

Post by flatbrokeI »

I have had a 186RG for about 5 years now and love it, we fish both inshore and on good days will run out 10-12 miles offshore. Smooth riding hull, good solid boat for the money.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I also have a 186 RG and love it. The boat is solid built, and has not given any trouble. I have the 90 Saltwater Merc on mine, and it too has performed just fine. The thing will also go real shallow, which surprised me...

If the boat is in good shape, 5-7 k is a great deal!

Dubble :thumbup:

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I've got the SeaChaser 1950 RG. It won't win any beauty contests but it is a great fishing and family boat. Mine is a 2003 hull with a 2002 Suzuki 150. It will run about 45 mph wot and handles 2 to 3 foot chop with a very dry ride. I'm sure it would handle worse seas but I prefer not to be out in them. I had it out in about 90 feet of water last week out of MB and I've fished in under 2 feet of water on the flats. It has a lot of room for stuff and or people. I get about 2.25 to 2.5 mpg out of the old 2 stroke and it amazes me at how smooth and reliable of a motor it is.

These are great boats. I love mine. If you aren't looking for fancy you won't be disappointed.

Mine had been sitting in the Lanark sun when I bought it. I got some new foam and vinyl and recovered the seats myself in plain white. It had some damage where the rub rail had come off so I cut that out and sealed it. I just need to put the rail back on. The engine has a little paint flaking on the section below the cowling. I've got the primer and paint to redo this.
Last edited by Rhettley on July 2nd, 2013, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kom06

Post by kom06 »

Thanks for all the replies. I love the boat but am worried about the Suzuki 150 EFI motor. It has a weld on the foot and I would guess that a regular rotation foot would be hard to find and expensive to buy. Apparently it was a problem with the DT Suzukis. Rhettley have you had any problems with your Lower Unit? The motor is counter rotation as well.0
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

My motor has worked flawlessly (knock on wood). It is a standard rotating engine- prop rotates clockwise to push boat forward. The only problem I had was originally I tried pumping the bulb tight to crank it. That's a no no with my engine. I pump the bulb 3 or 4 times, definitely no more than 5, which leaves it still soft but the engine fires right up every time and has never skipped a beat yet. I'm sure that day will come though...
mj7457

Post by mj7457 »

I have that exact boat with a 150 mercury! Absolutly love the boat handles great in anything less then five foot and has plenty of room to fish four comfortably offshore and three inshore for casting can fish anywhere from and foot and a half to as deep as you want to go. Love it!!!!!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Reel Cowboy wrote:Showboat hit a bunch of stuff with mine and it was no worse for the wear.
I can't comment on the Suk but the boat is probably worth the money depending on the care it's had.
You said it was a redfishing machine...I was just putting it through the paces. Doesn't go as shallow as I like to redfish
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
Reel Cowboy wrote:Showboat hit a bunch of stuff with mine and it was no worse for the wear.
You said it was a redfishing machine...I was just putting it through the paces. Doesn't go as shallow as I like to redfish
I believe we still caught fish and won a tournament in the barge. As such, your argument is invalid counselor!
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
kom06

Post by kom06 »

Unfortunately the boat sold today, but not to me. Couldnt make it over there in time. It was pretty nice. Check it out on the St. Augustine Craigslist. It is still up. Thanks for all the help.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

kom06 wrote:Unfortunately the boat sold today, but not to me.
Don't worry, kom06. I've come to understand that you don't find your boat; your boat will find you. 8-)
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.