Shell Point Saturday 7/13

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfalcon

Shell Point Saturday 7/13

Post by fishfalcon »

Drove down to Shell Point to mow the grass and work on the air conditioner. I got my work done and decided I would eat lunch before driving back home. I also decided that if I was going to sit looking at the water, I might as well have a rod out. I threw the castnet and caught about 100 alewives. Changed my plans in a hurry. Quick check of the radar and things don't look too bad and the wind was way less than the 10 mph from the east that was predicted. Launched the kayak with high hopes. I paddled out to the flats after portaging the yak over the bar. First cast, pop the cork and down it goes. I set the hook into a solid fish and fight it for a while, but it is staying down which is not a good sign. Sure enough, it is a monster sailcat. I unhook it and rebait. Second cast, another solid fish and this time it is faster, but still not a trout. Turns out to be a 3 foot blacktip. I manage to get him free without either one of us getting hurt and go back to fishing. I paddle back for another drift as the rain starts to pick up. I hook another fish and this time it comes to the surface and starts head shaking. Big trout! I fight it around the kayak and finally get it close. I reach out for the Texas trout grab and I cannot hold it. I swing it around the kayak for another try and he comes up shaking his head out if the water and throws the hook. Dang it. I collect myself and go back to fishing. Another hook-up and it is another monster trout. Not wanting a repeat performance I loosen the drag and decide I am just going to wear the fish down. Works great until I have the fish alongside the yak and it makes one last run. I feel it bounce along the bottom and then we are disconnected. Having lost two trout over 2 feet long while sitting in the rain, I had to remind myself of why I like this sport. Fortunately, the fishing gods like fools who persevere. I paddled back out for another drift and proceeded to wear them out. I ended up catching a limit with one 16" fish and 4 between 18.5" and 20". The other excitement came when I hooked another big fish. It wallowed on the surface and shook like a trout, but it drug the kayak all over the place. Turned out to be an alligator gar nearly 4 feet long which is a sporty battle on a medium-light spinning rod. Got home later than I was supposed to, but after making sautéed trout and cheese grits for dinner I think I am out of the doghouse. Not a bad day for a work trip.
TLB2

Re: Shell Point Saturday 7/13

Post by TLB2 »

Great repot :thumbup:
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great report. thanks for sharing.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I enjoyed that adventure.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

great report! how was the water clarity? how deep were you fishing?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Stealth of a Yack and live Ly's, a deadly combination.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

Sounds like a great day! :thumbup: What kind of a 'yak are you running? I've been hunting for one for a little while now.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

I was fishing my ocean kayak single fishing kayak. Water was stained with some grass with visibility about 18 inches. I caught my fish on top of a flat in about 3 feet of water surrounded by 7 feet of water, but remember it was 78 degrees and raining. Do you serious yakkers carry a net or a gaff or a Boca grip for those up close encounters with the toothy critters?
cotton

Post by cotton »

fishfalcon wrote:Do you serious yakkers carry a net or a gaff or a Boca grip for those up close encounters with the toothy critters?
On tourny days I carry a net. All other days, a grip works fine.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I only use a net for fish I don't want to loose ( and I only brush the teeth I want to keep).
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

good report. I fish frm a yak and almost always bring a landing net,still tricky getting bthem in the net. a couple weeks ago I was fishing and not keeping any that particular day. Sure enough I hook and get to the side the nicest flounder that Iv caught in the last three years,after teasing me 2or 3 times he finally got his flip/flop right and was gone-- Didnt bring the net! I wouldve liked to mhave kept that fish! FROM THEN ON THE NET GOES. i let the big too9thy ones have it thier way, no room on the deck for something I ncant hold down w one arm that has a habbit of chompping!
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

I was trying to get my pliers out of my shirt pocket while holding the line keeping the blacktip from beating against the side of the yak. I had his head out of the water which gave him just enough lift so that when he began thrashing, he came over the side of the yak and into my lap. I kept the pressure on him and slid him right out over the other side (hence the note above about him being released without either one of us being hurt) and my interest in some way to control them at a distance. I do not want to put another one in the yak!