pontoon boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rocket
Site Sponsor

pontoon boat

Post by rocket »

I have owned 3 or 4 boats in my time, however I don't know much about pontoon boats. I used to take the wife out quite a bit, and she would like to do so again. The only catch is we have a 19 mo. boy, and the boat I currently own is not very kid friendly.
It seems to me a pontoon boat would be about the most kid friendly boat you could find. I could trout fish off the front, while the wife and kid play, seems like it would be perfect for scalloping, plenty of shade, dry, plenty of room, and pretty inexpensive.
Those are the pros I can think of. I guess I am looking for some cons. I know it's not fast, and I can't troll up and down the shore line in search of reds, but that's about all I can come up with. Any other help would be appreciated.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Why not a deckboat, a fancy poontoon. Something like this.

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

What about one of those 27' Carolina Skiffs? You could bring everything including the kitchen sink in that.
Ken
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I'd suggest a hurricain, hurriane, (where is the spell check when ya need it) deck boat. :lol: I see a lot of pontoon boats out there, and I've fished a few time out of them on the Gulf. I just keep remembering an incident about 10 years ago at Keaton. A pontoon boat with a family on it was running when a wave went over the front portion of the pontoons. The boat dove straight down like a submarine, washing everyboady overboard, and drowning a small boy and the father. It's the only time I've ever heard of that, but once is enough to make me scared of them in rough water.
Semper Fi
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

If I ever buy another one, it will be either a Deck boat or a Carolina Skiff. The Pontoon boats just don't ride that well if the surf kicks up "and you know it will" and the Deck boat is much more versital than a Pontoon :-D

This site may help yo out a little.
http://www.pontoon.net/
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Just read your post CS, it reminded me of a couple experiances that we had with our pontoon :-D The first one was during the fireworks in Sopchoppy, we had around 10 or 12 folks on board "24 footer" and got a late start, headed to the park going only around 10 mph when the fireworks started 8 of the folks ran to the front for a better veiw and we dove under before I could throttle down :o no one hurt, just got everything wet and a few lost drinks :-D The other time, 6 of us fellas went out of Mashes Sands and over to Mud Cove, the wind and waves started picking up so we headed back, waves got to around 2 to 3 foot and had a few break over the bow, got to close to land and had to turn directly into the waves and dove through two 3 footers in a row, at one point we had waist deep water IN a flat bottom pontoon boat :smt011 That was the last time it went in the Bay and convinced me that they are made for inland fishing only :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

Rocket,

I owned a 24 ft pontoon up in TN for freshwater for years and having 2 small children, it was great for freshwater! Recently, I helped a friend spec out a 24' JC Tritoon (which had the 3 tank down the center, and it was a good choice), again for freshwater. Pontoons are great for kids; Plenty of room for the kid stuff and it's nice to have that bimini top or hard top for those sunny days; however, as the other post's suggest, don't load them up too much if you are going to be in the salt because the weather is much less predictable. Safety first!

Anyway, for Salt, I know of a manufacturer that has an aluminum, tongue and grove deck, with baffled, foam log filled 'toons'. If I were in the market for a pontoon for the salt, this would be the direction that I would pursue. I can't think of the manufacturer that offers this right off hand; but I know it exists. Maybe a little seaching on the internet or someone else with more 'salt-water' pontoon experience will post.

Good Luck

Dale Hollow
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I've been on a pontoon boat in the gulf...........once. The guy had it because his sister was confined to a wheel chair. The aluminum panels on the front guard rails had been beaten out by waves coming over the front. The day I was with him it never got over 2', but was the wettest ride I've ever taken. Water was constantly coming over the front, and washed everything not tied down out of the back of the boat. The deck boat or 27 ft. Carolina Skiff sounds like a much better option.
What was I supposed to do today?
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I didn't realize they took on so much water. I've seen one take a nose dive, it was behind me on the river, and everyone was on the front. Once it started to take on water, they all ran to the back. I thought that was a freak accident. I also did not know they could'nt handle 2' to 3' seas.
I guess that settles that, no pontoon boat. Thanks for all the info guys.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

You may want to consider a Twin Vee cat from Wefings also :-D
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/9/1601349.htm
We almost bought one, but I didn't think I could Bass fish out of it to well :o :-D
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I'm thinking maybe a big Carolina Skiff. Something wide and stable with plenty of room. And most of all, affordable. If anybody knows of one for sale, please let me know. In the mean time, I'll check out boattrader.
Thanks
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

There is a 20 somethin footer at RMS for sale :-D
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to get down there this weekendand check it out. First, and for most, does it have a Yamaha on it? I've had them all, and nothing runs like a Yammy.
Thanks,
Rocket
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Looked at it today "as I passed by", it has a fairly new four stroke Honda 90 on it, didn't see the For Sale sign though. You may want ta give em a call before driving down ta look at it :-D There is also a Deck Boat just before the new red light in C'Ville on the left that is a possibility for ya :beer:
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Thanks for the info. I don't think a deck boat is what I'm looking for, however I will call about that skiff. I'm starting to think a Carolina Skiff, or Polar is going to be the route I will have to take. I have a buddy that has a 21' Carolina Skiff, and he says he loves it. Fishes the Sea-Trout tourneys with it, and takes his 5 yr. old, and wife other times.
The only bad thing I can tell about the boats is that flat bottom will beat the crap out of you, but nothing you can do about that.
Had my eye on a Polar, but the man sold it today :(
Thanks again for the info.