Throwing cold water on somebody's nice catch...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Throwing cold water on somebody's nice catch...

Post by Rhettley »

It seems to be happening on here quite regularly. Somebody catches a nice trout and keeps it for supper and the "should have released it" comments get posted. Worse yet is when someone's wife or child catches a gator trout, probably their biggest fish ever, and here come the calls of "should have released it to lay more eggs". Imagine if you were a kid and caught your biggest fish ever and an adult tells you that you were wrong for bringing the fish home and enjoying a couple of meals with your family from that fish. Don't take the wind out of someone's sails.
If you are good enough and get to go often enough that you catch gator trout all the time then please do throw most of them back. Keep a couple of smaller ones for supper. Most of us don't get to fish that often and gain the knowledge and local experience of what the fish are doing to be able to consistently get a limit, much less catch a gator trout. If you want to complain about resources being depleted look at the commercial guys who can keep 25 per trip. Go tell them to release the breeders instead of bashing someone's wife or kid for catching and keeping their biggest trout ever.
I apologize for being argumentative and try to post mostly positive stuff but this has been getting on my nerves for a while.
big bend gyrene

Re: Throwing cold water on somebody's nice catch...

Post by big bend gyrene »

Absolutely not the only one feeling this way, Rhettley. :thumbup:

Lest anyone want to throw a stone at me, I've sent in 20 cobia tags in the last 12 months. I could have kept many of those fish, but didn't because I had meat in the freezer. That said, if I'm low on fish in the freezer I keep an occasional fish. GOD knows I've paid a ton more for what I keep than I would by simply paying for it at the store.

My take on the whole issue is, if it's absolutely within the legal letter of the law those voicing dislike over keeping legal catch would be far better off speaking out against a litany of other issues, such as destruction of fish holding rigs, crooks actively illegal netting and / or keeping fish over legal limits, snagging of tarpon, etc... heck, even spending the time seeking legal changes against keeping gator trout with those who can actually do something about it (legislators) if they're that convicted makes a heap more sense than dishing out grief to wives and kids keeping fish perfectly legal to keep, and during a time where recreational fishing is being asked ever more and more to sacrifice at the behest of commercial interests.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Just think, if that fished was released then someone else's kid may be able to catch a fish of a lifetime. I know here is no guarantee of that. A shark could eat it etc. But if it goes in the cooler then it is over. I'm not sure how keeping a trophy fish for the table makes the catch more enjoyable. Heck, it was probably Loaded w worms anyway. If a kid catches a gator on my boat, a pic gets taken and a lesson in conservation is learned, when we gently handle it and it is released. And if you really really need the meat then by all means take it. As far as commercial trout fishing goes, I think that is terrible also. Big breeder trout do not taste better than a nice 19 incher. It is perfectly within the law to harvest them, I understand. But posting pics of big trout in the cooler, whether it is on a forum or in the newspaper, sends a message that most sport fisherman don't want. What i dont want John Doe to think is successful day is a limit and a big gator and anything less is a bad day. That is what I fear pics like those propagate.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

And rhettly I apologize if "good report, it is a shame it wasn't released to fight another day" is bashing someone's wife. Ill try to choose my words more carefully in the future. And take a look at the Aug Florida sportsman. That is a good way to take a pic of that trout, they may have put it in the box, but it implies that the fish was released.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Salty Gator wrote:Just think, if that fished was released then someone else's kid may be able to catch a fish of a lifetime. I know here is no guarantee of that. A shark could eat it etc. But if it goes in the cooler then it is over. I'm not sure how keeping a trophy fish for the table makes the catch more enjoyable. Heck, it was probably Loaded w worms anyway. If a kid catches a gator on my boat, a pic gets taken and a lesson in conservation is learned, when we gently handle it and it is released. And if you really really need the meat then by all means take it. As far as commercial trout fishing goes, I think that is terrible also. Big breeder trout do not taste better than a nice 19 incher. It is perfectly within the law to harvest them, I understand. But posting pics of big trout in the cooler, whether it is on a forum or in the newspaper, sends a message that most sport fisherman don't want. What i dont want John Doe to think is successful day is a limit and a big gator and anything less is a bad day. That is what I fear pics like those propagate.
I would say BS, but I think that a full bullshit is needed here!! If that's the way you want to do things, that's fine. But to try and complain about or shame someone for not doing things your way is not only wrong, it's self-righteous of you :smt012 :smt009
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

And that's how the fight started
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Rhettley wrote:It seems to be happening on here quite regularly. Somebody catches a nice trout and keeps it for supper and the "should have released it" comments get posted. Worse yet is when someone's wife or child catches a gator trout, probably their biggest fish ever, and here come the calls of "should have released it to lay more eggs". Imagine if you were a kid and caught your biggest fish ever and an adult tells you that you were wrong for bringing the fish home and enjoying a couple of meals with your family from that fish. Don't take the wind out of someone's sails.
If you are good enough and get to go often enough that you catch gator trout all the time then please do throw most of them back. Keep a couple of smaller ones for supper. Most of us don't get to fish that often and gain the knowledge and local experience of what the fish are doing to be able to consistently get a limit, much less catch a gator trout. If you want to complain about resources being depleted look at the commercial guys who can keep 25 per trip. Go tell them to release the breeders instead of bashing someone's wife or kid for catching and keeping their biggest trout ever.
I apologize for being argumentative and try to post mostly positive stuff but this has been getting on my nerves for a while.

What he said.... :thumbup:
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Rhettley wrote:It seems to be happening on here quite regularly. Somebody catches a nice trout and keeps it for supper and the "should have released it" comments get posted. Worse yet is when someone's wife or child catches a gator trout, probably their biggest fish ever, and here come the calls of "should have released it to lay more eggs". Imagine if you were a kid and caught your biggest fish ever and an adult tells you that you were wrong for bringing the fish home and enjoying a couple of meals with your family from that fish. Don't take the wind out of someone's sails.
I'm right there with you. It is the 1st thing that came to mind after reading the report! If you have nothing good to say about a GREAT report, dont post! :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Salty Gator wrote:And rhettly I apologize if "good report, it is a shame it wasn't released to fight another day" is bashing someone's wife. Ill try to choose my words more carefully in the future. And take a look at the Aug Florida sportsman. That is a good way to take a pic of that trout, they may have put it in the box, but it implies that the fish was released.
"It is a shame it wasn't released"... So her act of keeping a legal trout was shameful? Something to be ashamed of? I don't think you can choose your words any more carefully and not come across as sounding holier than thou. A sugar coated turd is still 99.5% turd.

As far as the pictures, I saw a family out having a great day together on the water and bringing home a couple of fish and some scallops to enjoy a meal of the bounty the good Lord provided. I don't think the public wants to see some elitist snob hook, fight, then release a fish as opposed to the smiles of a family enjoying a day together.
bman

Post by bman »

The attitude annoys me too...

My take is If your in the law ok...

If you want to lead by example and release fish then good for you.
I want to see post showing them releasing 25" trout...

LEAD BY EXAMPLE don't bash someone within the law.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

And I'm sure releasing that trout would have spoiled an otherwise perfect day. I've been called a lot of things, but never an elitist. I will pm h&m and apologize. I will refrain from making any comments on whatever is within the law. So keep those big trout, and hang those bull reds and breeder snook by the lower jaw to get a pic. And let's hope the good lord decides to fix the mistakes that we make, cause no one else will.
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

Salty Gator wrote:And I'm sure releasing that trout would have spoiled an otherwise perfect day. I've been called a lot of things, but never an elitist. I will pm h&m and apologize. I will refrain from making any comments on whatever is within the law. So keep those big trout, and hang those bull reds and breeder snook by the lower jaw to get a pic. And let's hope the good lord decides to fix the mistakes that we make, cause no one else will.
:roll:
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

there is slot fish tournament this weekend if you ya'll need some time outdoors to blow off steam. No big fish will harmed....just saying :beer:
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Salty Gator, anyone who knows me well knows I've got a fairly decent sense of humor, and surprise or no surprise I actually find some light hearted humor in the discussion of saving only the gator trout...

Begs the question what mortal sins did the fish specifically sized from 15" to 20" inches do that was so egregious that ONLY they deserve to die! ;-)

Semi-joking (semi-not)... way I see it is much like soldiers dying for their country. Much sadder to see an 18 year old Soldier or Marine die who never got to marry his high school sweetheart, never got to have kids, or as Garth Brooks would say never got to experience "the dance", than it is to see someone who lived a full life pass. Just food for thought. :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Every time we have a span of rainy days, everyone gets a little testy around here. Reminds me of the flounder gigging thread a few years ago.

I am a huge advocate of catch and release. I grew up trout fishing in VA and that was just what folks did. When fishing in someone's farm pond for bass, I also catch and release. With that being said, I believe that the good Lord provides us with fish for us to eat. If the state biologists are comfortable with the bag limits that they set, then we should be too. I think you should only keep what you plan to eat and nothing more. It drives me crazy when folks fish for Sand Trout and keep hundreds, just because they can! We are all sportsman here and should do what we can to conserve our fisheries for the future. People have been catching and keeping fish for a very long time and they are still around. :-) We must remain responsible and not abuse the wonderful gift that we all enjoy.
Team Jolly Mon