Puppy found

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Puppy found

Post by red_yakker »

My daughter's first birthday is coming up, and I have decided I want to get her a puppy. My wife has settled on Golden Retriever, while I'm intent on getting a Lab (Black or Chocolate preferably, but will consider Yellow). I prefer a full blooded, but I'm not interested in becoming a breeder, so I don't care if they come with papers, and I prefer not to pay more than a few hundred.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks.
Last edited by red_yakker on September 21st, 2013, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Re: Puppy wanted

Post by yardman32317 »

Here is where I go to adopt http://www.ecgrr.com/
Good people.
Sua Sponte
RLTW
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Thanks, I didn't know about them. Only problem is they don't adopt to people with children under 6.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

I am partial, but I love my golden. Much less hyper than labs can be, but that may have a lot to do with the way we raised her.

If living inside, be prepared for the hair! Another plus for the golden is long hair is easier to pick up than short lab hair. My next golden may be a "goldendoodle" due to no shedding.

Either way, good luck and make sure to post up pictures. :thumbup:
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

And I didn't answer your question. Our breeder who just happened to be in the family is no more, as the father dog has passed, and the mother dog got ran over. I will keep my eyes and ears out though.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I'm not sure of the name of the place, but the best Labs come from Monticello, FL. You should look at English Cocker spaniels too. New breed and love attention. My son has one and I baby sit it some. I'm a fan of that breed now.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

red_yakker wrote:Thanks, I didn't know about them. Only problem is they don't adopt to people with children under 6.
And there is a reason for that. Wait a few more years for your new family member.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

redbelly7 wrote:I'm not sure of the name of the place, but the best Labs come from Monticello, FL. You should look at English Cocker spaniels too. New breed and love attention. My son has one and I baby sit it some. I'm a fan of that breed now.
Tealbrook Kennel, and yes they are awesome Labs. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We got our puppy from the Animal Shelter in Lee, Florida. Don't know what it is breed wise but is a loving dog. She was just a puppy but older dogs are there as well. Any thing poodle would be hard to beat. You have made a wise start by posting on this forum. Keep your eye and ears open and one just right will come along. You might need to adjust your date of arrival or spend the money to meet your parameter of time.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted.

Just thought of something. My neighbor tried to give me a puppy just this week. A male, mixed and white with spots. Bull, hound and who knows what. Both parents are loving, gentle dogs. Nice, healthy looking puppy.

FREE!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
ggoodman

Post by ggoodman »

red_yakker wrote:My daughter's first birthday is coming up, and I have decided I want to get her a puppy. My wife has settled on Golden Retriever, while I'm intent on getting a Lab (Black or Chocolate preferably, but will consider Yellow). I prefer a full blooded, but I'm not interested in becoming a breeder, so I don't care if they come with papers, and I prefer not to pay more than a few hundred.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks.
Have u had labs before, work with gun dogs? I only ask becuase this could potentailly be a massive headache for you. My boy(the lab) is now 10 years old and gets along awesome with out 13 month old. Really unless your familiar with an commited to raising a dog with gun dog disapline your going to have a super hyper bouncy lab wanting your attention and knocking your kid over.... or a dog that lives in a yard/crate/closet all the time with no attention. I have grown up with labs and I am now on my 4th. none of them truly settles down untill they were 4+yrs old. In fact unless they got their daily excersise(5 mile run with me or retrieval training) they are a stupid energetic mess. they can only bottle all that energy up so long and it's not fair to the dog. I'd strongly advise adopting an older purebred lab or spend the money on good blodline dog. Beau is now 10 and has zero health issues and is in far better shape than dogs I see half his age.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

ggoodman wrote: Have u had labs before, work with gun dogs? I only ask becuase this could potentailly be a massive headache for you. My boy(the lab) is now 10 years old and gets along awesome with out 13 month old. Really unless your familiar with an commited to raising a dog with gun dog disapline your going to have a super hyper bouncy lab wanting your attention and knocking your kid over.... or a dog that lives in a yard/crate/closet all the time with no attention. I have grown up with labs and I am now on my 4th. none of them truly settles down untill they were 4+yrs old. In fact unless they got their daily excersise(5 mile run with me or retrieval training) they are a stupid energetic mess. they can only bottle all that energy up so long and it's not fair to the dog. I'd strongly advise adopting an older purebred lab or spend the money on good blodline dog. Beau is now 10 and has zero health issues and is in far better shape than dogs I see half his age.
This wood have been my first purebred lab, and I was hesitant because I know how crazy they can be, even though I've got about an acre fenced (and electrified) for him to roam during the day while we are at work. That's how my wife was able to convince me to go Golden. She is partial to them because her family bred Golden Retrievers when she was little. We found this guy, Hank. Six weeks old and a chunk. I did pay quite a bit more than I had originally planned, but I decided that getting a proven bloodline with papers was worth the extra "investment". Don't worry, my baby will have limited and well-supervised exposure to Hank while she's little. He'll live outside with the rest of the animals in a locked pen.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Attachments
IMG950839.jpg
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Puppy found

Post by Juan »

Got this from another forum.... better hurry if interested: Free 13 week old black lab
Full blooded but don't have papers(mom was never registered). Have pictures of both mom and dad. Has had all his shots since 6 weeks of age and have shot record. Great pup, just want to give him a better place to live(more space) and someone to be able to be around more for him. Retrieves well already and likes to swim. Would make a great hunting dog or just a great family dog. Text for pics eight50-six99-eight485

Whoops... I should have read the entire thread.. enjoy the pup
Last edited by Juan on September 21st, 2013, 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Puppy found

Post by Harmsway »

red_yakker wrote:He'll live outside with the rest of the animals in a locked pen.
Yeah . . . right. :lol:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.