50 years ago today...where were you?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

50 years ago today...where were you?

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I realize many here were not even around.

I was in class at school and remember seeing the teacher come in crying.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
neckmoe

Re: 50 years ago today...where were you?

Post by neckmoe »

Given that I'm only 44 I guess I was still "hanging" out with my dad but I did spend a little time on the USS John F Kennedy. :-D
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
fredhey

Post by fredhey »

I was on a destroyer, the Charles R. Ware DD-865, in the Med. Was at the movie and we could hear something being announced over the ships speakers but could not understand what was being said. When I got back to my sleeping quarters I found out that the president had been shot while in Dallas, TX. Talk about some scared sailors, we were. We thought that Russia had done it and we were about to go to war.... I think I was more frightened for my wife and child back in the US than for myself.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WAS FISHING ON THE INDIAN RIVER LAGOON, HAD 5-6 RED FISH IN THE COOLER THAT WENT 26-44 POUNDS, CAUGHT THEM ON A YELLOW BANANNA TOP WATER PLUG. FOUND OUT ABOUT IT ON THE WAY HOME TO CLAY HILL.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I was too young for that one, but was in second grade when they got RFK five years later. We were stationed at Bunker Hill AFB in Indiana. I remember coming into the kitchen in our little base housing quarters, and seeing my mom softly crying over the sink.

Never saw my mom cry before. She raised six kids all over the world, following my dad from one base to another. Tough as nails. I knew something was bad wrong.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

If you can answer this question, then it's been in your life for most of it. I remember what a rude awakening it was the first time I asked someone who hadn't been born yet, talk about feeling old!

I was on the playground of my elementary school in Baltimore. We were leaving. A neighborhood friend told me. Don't think the news made it into my 3rd or 4th? grade classroom. That seems odd now.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I was attending college at NFJC, my second year after getting out of the Navy serving aboard the USS Chopper (SS-342). Seem I was walking across campus changing classes. I too, thought that Russia had killed him and was READY to stick a torpedo in them.

It has been a lot of water flow under the bridge since that day.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I was going home from classes at lake sumter jr. college , and heard it on the car radio
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I was walking with my cousin to his house.
We were under the overpass on Franklin Blvd. at Perry Highway. (now Apalachee Pky).
A car stopped and told us about what happened.
Got to my cousins house and called my Dad to come get me before the Russians got here.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Neckmoe, technically I think we were camping out within the confines of Compound Mom... Dad's contribution is more a daily thing. just saying. ;-)

Not having been born, can't share a "that day" story, but can share one quite related.

Many who skim the board may not realize my real name is John Kennedy. Older brother is named Robert. Neither of us were named for the politicians but instead South Carolina relatives and friends.

Anyway, while the Dr./Mrs. attended derm residency at Texas Tech we took a weekend to visit Dealey plaza in Dallas. Walking on the sidewalk to look at the spot in the road where Kennedy was shot, a car drifted close enough to us it hit the curb before pulling back to the center of the road. It came within about six inches of hitting me. Instantly thought how utterly bizarre it would have been for me to get hit there. :o That shared have heard the story many times from my Mom, about how (while pregnant with my brother Robert), she was ironing my Dad's work clothes at home when the news reached her and how just sat and wept.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

big bend gyrene wrote:Neckmoe, technically I think we were camping out within the confines of Compound Mom... Dad's contribution is more a daily thing. just saying. ;-)

Not having been born, can't share a "that day" story, but can share one quite related.

Many who skim the board may not realize my real name is John Kennedy. Older brother is named Robert. Neither of us were named for the politicians but instead South Carolina relatives and friends.

Anyway, while the Dr./Mrs. attended derm residency at Texas Tech we took a weekend to visit Dealey plaza in Dallas. Walking on the sidewalk to look at the spot in the road where Kennedy was shot, a car drifted close enough to us it hit the curb before pulling back to the center of the road. It came within about six inches of hitting me. Instantly thought how utterly bizarre it would have been for me to get hit there. :o That shared have heard the story many times from my Mom, about how (while pregnant with my brother Robert), she was ironing my Dad's work clothes at home when the news reached her and how just sat and wept.

Until earlier this week, all that marked the actual spots were 2 white X's in the road where he was shot. They were removed earlier this week and I don't think they are being replaced.
There's a fair amount of road work going on in that area of town and they might be replaced when the work is finished but the word is they won't be.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Was a Junior at Seacrest High School, Delray Beach, Florida, and in a History class, I believe. They announced it over the PA system.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

Some really cool stories of where everyone was and what a vivid memories of such an event. Nothing like that for us yungins except for 9/11...
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Capt Ron wrote:3 blocks from Dealey Plaza. We had skipped school to go to the parade.

3 blocks away from history and that is all? What did you do after? What was the atmosphere like?
Jeesh, don't leave us hanging.....I mean, you were in range of a stray bullet for gosh sakes!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.