Which area has better fishing?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhodes

Which area has better fishing?

Post by Rhodes »

Me and a friend have the opportunity to fish in the Panacea area about 3 to 4 times a year. We have become somewhat familiar with the area and we usually fish out of Mashes Sands and fish the bay or either Rock Landing Marina and fish the Oyster Bay and Shell Point areas. We mainly target inshore but occasionally will run out to some of the near shore reefs if seas permit. But my question is this, I see a lot of post on this forum regarding the Lanark area which we have never fished. From where we stay on Ockloknee Bay we are only about 16 miles from this area and are considering fishing this area as well. I would love to know from those who have fished both areas what yall’s opinions are as to which area has the best fishing….Lanark or Panacea?
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Which area has better fishing?

Post by DEMON »

Lanark fishing is terrible all year. I would never go there or any where else that I have holes.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

When we have lots of rain, the Lanark area is better. If the rain isn't bad, they are fairly even on inshore production. For the possibility of going off-shore, Lanark wins that one hands down! You have MUCH more area that is closer in to off shore fish :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Lanark wins every time! :wink: :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Oh yeh, Lanark does have this little store at the launch with some quirky, strange dude running it :smt004 but they's got supplies fer ya :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I like Lanark. It is a bit of a haul from my regular haunts, so I usually only get out there 2-3 times a year, but the water is very diversified and easy to fish. The north end of Lanark reef on the gulf side regularly produces trout and reds. Bird Island will hold reds also. Like anywhere else, it takes some time and patience to locate the areas that produce.
The folks at Lanark Market are super! Carson has most everything you might need there. Great guy!
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

Lanark :thumbup:
LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE-LAWRENCE AUTO PARTS
BIG SLOUGH KENNELS
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

fishinfool wrote:I like Lanark. It is a bit of a haul from my regular haunts, so I usually only get out there 2-3 times a year, but the water is very diversified and easy to fish. The north end of Lanark reef on the gulf side regularly produces trout and reds. Bird Island will hold reds also. Like anywhere else, it takes some time and patience to locate the areas that produce.
The folks at Lanark Market are super! Carson has most everything you might need there. Great guy!
Carson has everything, except hot sammiches. Maybe one day :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Salty Gator wrote:
fishinfool wrote:I like Lanark. It is a bit of a haul from my regular haunts, so I usually only get out there 2-3 times a year, but the water is very diversified and easy to fish. The north end of Lanark reef on the gulf side regularly produces trout and reds. Bird Island will hold reds also. Like anywhere else, it takes some time and patience to locate the areas that produce.
Carson has everything, except hot sammiches. Maybe one day :thumbup:
Take sammich ... take a piece of aluminum foil ... spread said aluminum foil on the deck ... place said sammich in aluminum foil and allow solar oven to warm! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

I concur....Lanark offers many more possibilities. Only draw back is getting out on low tides if you draft anything substantial. If you go, talk to the folks there at the store. Good folk and will give ya some good tips.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

DEMON wrote:Lanark fishing is terrible all year. I would never go there or any where else that I have holes.
this

store is nice tho
LMFB

Post by LMFB »

Having fished both Alligator Point and Shell Point with some regularity, I've come to prefer Alligator Point...which is just east of Lanark. Last year the scallops were everywhere at Lanark BTW.

The only advantage Shell Point ever seemed to have for me was when the weather was bad and you could run over to the oyster bars and fish, or up spring creek for reds.

The advantage of Alligator Point has always been the marina with gas, and the closeness of the reef and shoals. It's a much shorter run to the fish.