Blackfin Tuna out of Alligator Point

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

2true

Blackfin Tuna out of Alligator Point

Post by 2true »

My buddy recently sent me this pic. He said his neighbor caught this tuna 5 miles out of Alligator point. I am thinking more like 20 miles out. I didn't even know you could catch Tuna around here....

How far do ya'll think he went out....?

mastercaster

Re: Blackfin Tuna out of Alligator Point

Post by mastercaster »

The dolphin, blackfin and red snapper all came from 60ft + if not more, so yeah not 5 miles out.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I wouldn't call your buddy a liar, but 9 miles out form AP, it is about 55"( state waters). I've grouper fished there 3 out of the last 4 weekends and never even caught a short snapper. So my guess is they were out a good bit further, probably in 80 ish feet. The blue water is closer in this year. A lot of people have been going out for marlin and wahoo ( and tuna)and not needed to go nearly as far out as in years past. Had some bacon wrapped grilled wahoo last week, :lick:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Looks like your buddy's neighbor found something floating...i.e. debris or part of a weedline, and capitalized on it. All of those fish could have been caught within 5 miles of the point.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Just spoke w a buddy that's friends w the guy that tool that pic. He said they were way way further out than 5 miles, and not really out of alligator point
2true

Post by 2true »

Salty Gator wrote:Just spoke w a buddy that's friends w the guy that tool that pic. He said they were way way further out than 5 miles, and not really out of alligator point
lol I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would know who took that pic!
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Try to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and there ya go... :lol:
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Not that it happens a lot, but both dolphin and blackfin tuna have been caught off the piers in Panama City Beach. So they do at times come pretty close in. You just can't count on it.
weedline

Post by weedline »

he may have been 40 miles west and within 5 miles from shore in the panhandle we catch tuna dolphin and sailfish off the piers every year
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

weedline wrote:he may have been 40 miles west and within 5 miles from shore in the panhandle we catch tuna dolphin and sailfish off the piers every year
Maybe he coulda been, but he wasn't. Those fish were caught closer to 50 miles than 5 miles.