Spiral wrapped rods.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Spiral wrapped rods.

Post by Ken K »

Most everything I see about these relates to heavier tackle. How do they work for light rods, like you would use to throw jigs and topwater plugs on the flats. I can see it would work great for fighting fish but it seems like it would have to shorten your casting distance at least a little.
Ken
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I'll be honest and say that I haven't built but a few light spiral wrap rods. One of them is my own and I like it. It is a 6'6" Lamiglass composite blank rated for up to about 12# line. I have a Curado 200B5 on it with 10# mono and love it. I mostly use it fishing jigs for trout and flounder and it has worked well. I don't really think it reduces casting distance much if any, but it does increase accuracy I believe. It is also much better on the rod. Without the twist in the rod blank they tend to last longer. Just my experience.

Nathan
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I used to have a couple of two piece casting rods, I wish I would have experimented with using them with the tip rotated so the guides were down. I have since converted them to one piece rods via epoxy.
Ken