Good Ol' Jack Loves The Ladies

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SeminoleDave

Good Ol' Jack Loves The Ladies

Post by SeminoleDave »

Waded Bald Point today. Huge variety bait and tens of thousands of greenbacks are in. The greenies are on the small side still (about 2 inches) but with patience, in a couple net throws can land you some really good silver dollar size pins and mullet from finger size all the way up to 10 inches from land. Started the afternoon throwing a chug n spook jr and got into a huge school of ladyfish landing 8 total, all good size. Made for nice cut bait! Threw the some quarter size chunks (swivel, no weight with 2ft of flouro) and picked up 3 monster jacks and 3 small flounder. Action started to die out and switched to the finger mullet splitting the caudal fin on a Carolina rig and landed two small reds right under or at slot (I don't have a ruler, I use markings on my rod to gauge and they were both close). Key is getting out to the bars and fishing on or near them, find the drop off! If you have a boat great, otherwise be prepared to blaze your own path and be ready for a good swim to get to the good spots as I had to. Huge bait pods of those small greenies were being thrashed by good sized fish all day. Once the water cools I only expect it to get better. GoPro or waterproof cam is gonna be my next investment as it is no bueno being alone and not having the ability to take pics. I will say be weary and swim at your own risk as I did have a blacktip (~3ft) and a bull shark (~4ft) swim within 20 ft of me when I was already at the bar spot I swam to. I've dove with large tigers and bulls in the keys and sw Florida where I'm from but in the tannin water where they can't tell what you are it's not the most comforting experience. Thankfully I brought a seal tight Tupperware for the cut bait and kept it out of the water or I'm sure they would've been more interested.
Edwade

Re: Good Ol' Jack Loves The Ladies

Post by Edwade »

Good report SD. Time to plan a wade trip again when your work schedule allows. Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Yes, excellent report. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Sounds like you're a real pro at the wade fishing. 8)
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

great report. Are you wading on the fishing pier side or the gulf side? I fish that area from my boat and would to see different action.
SeminoleDave

Post by SeminoleDave »

Hardly a pro but it was on the gulf side of the pier. I've fished the bars on the other side of the pier (bay side) and I've seen tailing fish and haven't done bad but the gulf side seems to be more where it's at. The bar closest to the shore makes an almost full circle horseshoe and that whole area is good for fish
topdaddy

Post by topdaddy »

Would love to have some fun catching a few Jacks! What is the best area to find them? Did catch one in Ochlocknee Bay the other day