Green Cove Springs shrimping with (a) Pork Butt…… 10/9 2014

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Green Cove Springs shrimping with (a) Pork Butt…… 10/9 2014

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Just a fun post……not a serious skrimp trip or report…..

Plan A: stay at the house like most afternoon/evenings and just have dinner followed by the kids doing homework…..

OR….

Plan B: go skrimping after skool……

Plan B sounded the most fun so….. with the wifer heading to a conference I thought the three of us would go skrimping and have dinner on the water. During the day I smoked a Boston Butt for dinner and once the kids got home from skool I pulled it off the smoker, wrapped it in foil and newspaper then we hitched up Plan B and hit the road for Green Cove Springs (GCS). It seems shrimping out of GCS lately is slowing down so I kinda figured we’d not tear up the skrimps but I did know we’d have fun trying for an hour.

I left my camera in my hunting pack so these photos are from my cell phone so the quality is a tad low.

Heading out

Kaitlyn throwing her 6 ft skrimp net

Casey with an average representation of our short time

Pork & river crickets

Cold beer & pork sammitches

Fun short trip

We started on the southeast side of SR 16 moving around throwing from 28 to 18 feet but didn’t find large numbers. The shrimp were large-just not concentrated and low in numbers. So we headed over to the northwest side next to Shands Pier. Here the shrimp were more numerous but also smaller. There was a line of boats throwing in 12 feet of water and that’s where we started. With the sun setting we broke out the pork butt & buns. As we did so it was kinda funny as the two guys in the boat behind us smelled the pork and yelled out “Are you guys packing ribs?” Too funny.

Effort: one hour of throwing with two skrimp nets; a 6 footer (3/8” mesh) and a 9 footer (5/8” mesh) and finishing with just shy of a gallon of mediums and a few larges. We culled the smalls out.

We didn’t slay em but we enjoyed some quality time on the water plus kicked some “butt” (pork that is).

Brian
Quality Time
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Green Cove Springs shrimping with (a) Pork Butt…… 10/9 2

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Forget the fishing trip -- tell us about that pork butt !!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Outstanding report. Thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Damn I like you roll:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

have you been to ck lately
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

DID YOU USE ANY BAIT BALLS OR JUST CASTING BLIND? WE USE TO GET SEVERAL #2 WASH TUBS FULL IN THAT GENERAL AREA CASTING FOR ABOUT 4-5 HOURS USING CLAY BALLS WITH HOG PELLETS , WE DID MOST OF OUR CASTING AFTER SUNSET TO ABOUT 1 A.M.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

JIm Smith wrote:have you been to ck lately
No. I cancelled a CK trip last weekend due to not knowing exactly how the red tide had impacted offshore. Looking forward to my next visit to work Seahorse Reef for macks & trout.
FUTCHCAIRO wrote:DID YOU USE ANY BAIT BALLS OR JUST CASTING BLIND? WE USE TO GET SEVERAL #2 WASH TUBS FULL IN THAT GENERAL AREA CASTING FOR ABOUT 4-5 HOURS USING CLAY BALLS WITH HOG PELLETS , WE DID MOST OF OUR CASTING AFTER SUNSET TO ABOUT 1 A.M.
PA
SEMPER FI
Just throwing blind. While we where throwing in 12 feet I wouldn't want to bait in any deeper water as the current lately has been kicking (full moon). You are right though that baiting with hog pellets is the way to go in shallow water in the early am or late pm.
Brian
Quality Time
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

going this fri thur Monday to Ck let you know