Florida Amendment One

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Florida Amendment One

Post by DEMON »

Part of the problem is that those two looters are not our representatives. We cannot vote them out and I'm guessing the people of Brevard County don't care or they would vote these clowns out.
That's one of the reasons that the the citizens of Florida have had to resort to Constitutional Amendments so that a collective Florida voice can be heard instead of just a few powerful locally voted on leaders screwing the rest of Florida.

Unfortunately it looks like we the citizens need to go even farther than just an amendment because the clowns are still running the circus and flat out ignoring the intent of the people. What's the next step to take control of these leaches?
two tooth

Post by two tooth »

Not to get in the way of a good politician tar and feathering, but wouldn't the clean up of ranching and farming pollution be directly relevant to the purpose of amendment 1? I just went back and re-read the summary and the text of the amendment, and it clearly says that the purpose includes the management and improvement of the land/water. I would think that pollution prevention/control would be part of it. It's been part of every article that I've ever read on the Everglades issues.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

The farmers made the mess let them pay to clean it up.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:The farmers made the mess let them pay to clean it up.
Agreed. The cattle and farming interests are an industry just like mining and chemicals, which are responsible for spills and damage to the environment. Private for-profit businesses shouldn't be subsidized to clean their own mess. Are they going to share their profits? Hell no, unless Hillary or Bernie is elected. The same goes for public municipalities (which are clamoring for sewage treatment money). The intent of Amendment 1 was to augment existing funds to ensure more natural Florida lands and waterways are preserved and protected, not to take away.

I really hope I'm dead before they cut every tree and pave the entire state in the name of growth, jobs and yet another strip mall/chain store. But with the current trend it'll be a close call if I live another decade or two.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Well said I think we could get you elected if you ran for office. Then you wouldn't have time to fish. Therefor you could drop that bad azz skiff you just acquired off on the curve. Gas tank and cooler full please :beer: :-D
two tooth

Post by two tooth »

silverking wrote:
THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:The farmers made the mess let them pay to clean it up.
Agreed. The cattle and farming interests are an industry just like mining and chemicals, which are responsible for spills and damage to the environment. Private for-profit businesses shouldn't be subsidized to clean their own mess. Are they going to share their profits? Hell no, unless Hillary or Bernie is elected. The same goes for public municipalities (which are clamoring for sewage treatment money). The intent of Amendment 1 was to augment existing funds to ensure more natural Florida lands and waterways are preserved and protected, not to take away.

I really hope I'm dead before they cut every tree and pave the entire state in the name of growth, jobs and yet another strip mall/chain store. But with the current trend it'll be a close call if I live another decade or two.
More than 2.5 million acres has been acquired by the state in the last 25 years. I think you'll have somewhere to go.

I agree that business shouldn't be subsidized like that. My point was that I had literally just read the amendment as presented on the ballot and it doesn't state what some are saying. Maybe it should have been more clear as to how the money could be used?
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

Maybe that column will run in the Democrat while the legislature is still in session so their peers can see what's going on...or not.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Ah nah, now we gonna get onto cow farmers. I am having New York Strip tonight. I will ruminate further on this issue while I chew said beef. While I am ruminating, I will remember, with the exception of sugar cane farming, mass population areas in Florida create more pollution than all the farms in America. I'll also remember that said stacked human beings do not produce their own food and instead rely upon farmers to feed their face. Wow, that is enough to ruminate upon for now!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Not targeting the cow farmers per se (even though I don't eat beef or pork) but industry in general. There's no such thing as a free lunch, as my economics professor used to say.

I also recycle more than I throw away and work from a home office, so my carbon footprint is pretty small. It's even smaller now that I'm running a 30-hp outboard instead of a 200. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

If only candidates for office could have the kind of civil, thoughtful, open and respectful debates that you can find here on a mere fishing column...
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

silverking wrote:Not targeting the cow farmers per se (even though I don't eat beef or pork) but industry in general. There's no such thing as a free lunch, as my economics professor used to say.

I also recycle more than I throw away and work from a home office, so my carbon footprint is pretty small. It's even smaller now that I'm running a 30-hp outboard instead of a 200. :lol:
What you are saying is that you want to raise the cost of my steak. That sir, is personal! Cows, except for feedlots, tend to distribute their waste over an extended area, which breaks down naturally and also acts as a nutrient for the grasses. Hogs, on the other hand, are almost raised like humans in concrete high rises with the excrement being run into holding ponds. I would remind you that we used to have animals roaming this earth who in one poop could literally cover you in brown fertilizer!

Even that excrement was good to fertilize lands with.

I seem to recall some 200hp's in your past, so you are a recent convert. I don't have a 200 now. The one I had before was co-owned, so I can't be charged with more than 112 1/2 hp. We used ring free in the gas to reduce it's carbon foot print or at least that is what is said on the can ... reduces carbon buildup.

I am all about the environment. Myself, I occasionally play bear in the woods to reduce the strain on municipal sewage systems. It is biological and it reduces my crap footprint.

Your exhalation of CO2 is your highest carbon footprint, but I would not advise trying too hard to reduce it.

That is enough ruminating. Now I must go and relieve my body of the stress of carrying that extra pond of NY Strip I placed into my system last night. Being a second hand vegetarian can be rough!

I pay enough taxes to clean up some chicken (*$#^%) manure, so I don't get no free nothing! BTW, what a crappy topic to start! :smt005
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote:
silverking wrote:Not targeting the cow farmers per se (even though I don't eat beef or pork) but industry in general. There's no such thing as a free lunch, as my economics professor used to say.

What you are saying is that you want to raise the cost of my steak. That sir, is personal! Cows, except for feedlots, tend to distribute their waste over an extended area, which breaks down naturally and also acts as a nutrient for the grasses. Hogs, on the other hand, are almost raised like humans in concrete high rises with the excrement being run into holding ponds. I would remind you that we used to have animals roaming this earth who in one poop could literally cover you in brown fertilizer!

I seem to recall some 200hp's in your past, so you are a recent convert. I don't have a 200 now. The one I had before was co-owned, so I can't be charged with more than 112 1/2 hp. We used ring free in the gas to reduce it's carbon foot print or at least that is what is said on the can ... reduces carbon buildup.

I am all about the environment. Myself, I occasionally play bear in the woods to reduce the strain on municipal sewage systems. It is biological and it reduces my crap footprint.

Your exhalation of CO2 is your highest carbon footprint, but I would not advise trying too hard to reduce it.

That is enough ruminating. Now I must go and relieve my body of the stress of carrying that extra pond of NY Strip I placed into my system last night. Being a second hand vegetarian can be rough!

I pay enough taxes to clean up some chicken (*$#^%) manure, so I don't get no free nothing! BTW, what a crappy topic to start! :smt005
Ring free to reduce carbon footprint, that's a joke right?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

MudDucker wrote: What you are saying is that you want to raise the cost of my steak. That sir, is personal! Cows, except for feedlots, tend to distribute their waste over an extended area, which breaks down naturally and also acts as a nutrient for the grasses. Hogs, on the other hand, are almost raised like humans in concrete high rises with the excrement being run into holding ponds. I would remind you that we used to have animals roaming this earth who in one poop could literally cover you in brown fertilizer!

Crap happens. I gladly yield to your extensive knowledge about this deep--and brown--subject matter. :lol:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hey wait a minute, I think I've been crapped on here! :smt005 :smt005