Banded FloridaMallard/Mottled duck

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Banded FloridaMallard/Mottled duck

Post by bman »

I've been hunting Lake Okeechobee with friends this week. The lake is huge, just a mind blowing amount of habitat. We have been targeting ringers, teal and Florida Mallards.

Yesterday was a crazy morning that started with me getting the boat stuck just before legal time. Made a wrong turn and ran into thick head high cattails and button bushes. The boat skidded to a stop about 60 yards in. Lots of pushing and pulling, 45 minutes later we ran to the spot we wanted to shoot.

It was daylight when we were throwing the decoys out. I sat away from the other guys frustrated that I had blown our hunt. A few birds worked the decoys and I felt a little better the other guys were getting some shots. But it was obvious we had missed the first light flight. I was sitting there beating myself up.

Then a Mottle Drake cupped in from my left. I shot twice and it dropped 20 feet from me. I could see the band before I got to the duck!
Its an old worn band and I can just barley make out the number. Its going to be interesting to find out how long this one has been flying around.

Beautiful bird that redeemed the morning and made the entire trip for me!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
micci_man

Re: Banded FloridaMallard/Mottled duck

Post by micci_man »

60 yds in?!?!? you must have been moving pretty good to do that :-D

Congrats. let us know the info when you get it.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
beerfish

Post by beerfish »

Congrats! That would definitely make my trip too.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice Barry!

That looks less rusted than your normal gun; did you upgrade :D
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Congrats, Barry! It will be interesting to see how old the bird was and where he was banded. I killed one down there two seasons ago that was at least five years old, banded on Loxahatchee.
Steve Sutton

Post by Steve Sutton »

Neat stuff Barry Have been hearing from Dani that you're trip South was "interesting". If things go as planned I'll be there next year so if you have the permits to do the extended trip you'll have a place to stay in Central Florida and I'll be able to pay you back for the hunts you took Dani and I on this season.

I like seeing Mottled Ducks and Wood Ducks that are banded in Florida taken by people I know because Dani and I have had the opportunity to band with Jamie Fedderson and we've seen two of the birds we have banded recovered...one a Wood Duck and one a BlackBelly...we only know from the ones that get posted on the net so I'm sure more but its neat to see them posted and wonder if that was a bird I handled....cool stuff...

Time to start fishing I guess...I'll unexpectedly be in Florida for the month of February. If I make it to the Panhandle I'll be begging a spot in the boat.

Steve
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Suweet bird. I had a trip planned to Big O because we had an STA draw, but a talk with regulars in late December said that water was too high and birds scarce. I plan to try again next year.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

Got the basic info on the band back.. The bird was banded 8-28-2006 is Weston FL
The guy at the call center said the certificate will give me some more info...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Way cool!!!
An 8 year old band is a trophy that few will ever have.!!
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.