Question for the local duck hunters

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Question for the local duck hunters

Post by micci_man »

What are you feelings on the current hunting rules for the 4 local lakes? Iamonia, Jackson, Miccosukee and Carr.

Currently there are different motor rules. No motors on Iamonia and Carr. 10hp or less on Miccosukee and no motor limit on Jackson. These 4 lakes are the only 4 in the state (not counting STA's or other water management areas) that are limited to 3 hunting days a week plus holidays. All 4 have a no permanent blind rule and this is unique to this area too.

Throughout the season several of us have been talking at the ramps about some ideas to take to FWC. Below are some of the things that people have mentioned, you may or may not agree with them but I'll list them because they were said. Feel free to say if you agree or do not and add anything that you would like to see different if anything at all. I don't hunt out of state but many of you do and see how things work in other places and may come up with good ideas.

open motors on Iamonia and Carr to 10hp or less. - this would take pressure off of Miccosukee and Jackson and spread hunters out.

Allowing at least 5 hunt days a week on all 4 lakes, possibly 7 if it means no hunting past 1 or 2pm to give the ducks time to rest.- Today everyone plans their hunts around 3 days. This would also spread out the pressure because not everyone can hunt every day of the open season. This is successful and works in other states.

Allowing blinds to be built out of vegetation only and them not be classified as permanent and can be left out and hunted without being ticketed. (I only know of 1 ticket given out in the last 3 years and it was opening day of this season. $550 and 4 months probation) - There are no private blinds or areas, first come fist serve like it is today to an area. It can be dangerous at times with high winds and 30+ reeds in your boat with children and older hunters. pop ups (bread boxes) only don't always work after a while

Motor restriction on Jackson to 10hp or less- Make it equal to all 4 lakes.

25 shells per hunter per hunt- this would cut down on the sky busting, if you can't kill 6 ducks with 25 shells shoot more skeet prior to the season.

FWC needs to dump corn by air over all 4 lakes at lease twice a month or allow.- All 4 of the public lakes are surrounded by plantations with planted/flooded ponds/lakes that hold the ducks all day long and only the yankee's and their guests can legally shoot them. :-D

There were some more things mentioned but I can't remember them at the moment but out of all of these listed I personally think allowing motors on Iamonia would be the biggest improvement to spread out the hunters/pressure but also the hardest to get passed. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about anything listed above and adding to it. Remember, this is for the duck hunters as a whole in our area, not just about 1 or 2 lakes.
Last edited by micci_man on January 28th, 2015, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Question for the local duck hunters

Post by silverking »

micci_man wrote:
25 shells per hunter per hunt- this would cut down on the sky busting, if you can't kill 6 ducks with 25 shells shoot more skeet prior to the season.
Thought that's what you meant. No harm, only a few page views so far. But just to clarify, only your lovely daughter has pink initials on her shotgun,right? :wink:
Last edited by silverking on January 28th, 2015, 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

:smt010 corrected!!!!
Bottomtime

Post by Bottomtime »

silverking wrote:
micci_man wrote:
Thought that's what you meant. No harm, only a few page views so far. :wink:
I was beginning to reconsider our future hunting ventures together :o
jafman65

Post by jafman65 »

I hunt Lake Iamonia all the time and think it is just fine the way it is. Motors would keep the ducks on the move even more to the local plantations, so be careful what you wish for. Boat blinds are not that difficult to use with a little preparation and thought.There are so many types of pop up blinds to choose from that work really well. Doubt the FWC would even consider building blinds again as hard as it was to get rid of them the first time. Worried about safety, use a larger boat or launch your boat at another landing that might be out of the wind and/or stay home when the wind blows 25 or 30 mph. Hunting 5 days a week is the worst of all your suggestions, in my opinion, because of the pressure would be so constant the birds would seek refuge to other places like the plantations after the first week of the season. Just look at Lake Seminole for a great example of this. Three days a week and hoilidays are plenty of days to hunt for 99% of the hunters. Once again be careful what you wish for. And last but not least, The FWC baiting the lakes with corn by airplane, surely this was some attempt at humor. Pretty sure the men and women of the FWC have a little bit more on their agenda than flying around spreading corn for you to hunt over. That is a good one man! These lakes you mentioned should stay the way they are, and maybe the plantations should be targeted more for their blatant violations of baiting and running airboats all over the lakes at the beginning of the season to run the ducks off the public waters to their ponds. This went on almost every day early on and was reported to the FWC. Not sure if it ever helped though.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

silverking wrote: But just to clarify, only your lovely daughter has pink initials on her shotgun,right? :wink:
That would be correct but I may get some to flash around the lake to run folks off :-D
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

jafman65 wrote:I hunt Lake Iamonia all the time and think it is just fine the way it is. Motors would keep the ducks on the move even more to the local plantations, so be careful what you wish for. Boat blinds are not that difficult to use with a little preparation and thought.There are so many types of pop up blinds to choose from that work really well. Doubt the FWC would even consider building blinds again as hard as it was to get rid of them the first time. Worried about safety, use a larger boat or launch your boat at another landing that might be out of the wind and/or stay home when the wind blows 25 or 30 mph. Hunting 5 days a week is the worst of all your suggestions, in my opinion, because of the pressure would be so constant the birds would seek refuge to other places like the plantations after the first week of the season. Just look at Lake Seminole for a great example of this. Three days a week and hoilidays are plenty of days to hunt for 99% of the hunters. Once again be careful what you wish for. And last but not least, The FWC baiting the lakes with corn by airplane, surely this was some attempt at humor. Pretty sure the men and women of the FWC have a little bit more on their agenda than flying around spreading corn for you to hunt over. That is a good one man! These lakes you mentioned should stay the way they are, and maybe the plantations should be targeted more for their blatant violations of baiting and running airboats all over the lakes at the beginning of the season to run the ducks off the public waters to their ponds. This went on almost every day early on and was reported to the FWC. Not sure if it ever helped though.
Thanks for your reply
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

micci_man wrote:
silverking wrote: But just to clarify, only your lovely daughter has pink initials on her shotgun,right? :wink:
That would be correct but I may get some to flash around the lake to run folks off :-D

Thanks for being a good sport. Spellchecker works only on blatant errors and not mis-use.

I'm not a duck hunter (not by choice), but your post brings up some interesting observations. If I were you I would bring it to the attention of the FWC's waterfowl managers. The other response was insightful as well. Always two and often more sides to any wildlife issue like this, as the Lake Jackson spray post also illustrates.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

I would get behind the 25 shell rule and opening Iamonia to 10hp or less (to disperse hunters and make more of Iamonia accessible), and maybe afternoon closures, but just can't see the other rules benefitting the hunters or the ducks. The number of birds using the lake and the quality of hunting has gone down significantly in the past few years...most notably since they increased the HP limit to 10. Even now with the MWF/holiday rule, the birds get run off easily. Opening the lake to 5 day/week hunting would help disperse hunters (maybe), but it would ruin those lakes. I go every day that I can when I'm home and able, but on long, holiday weekends when the lake is open more than 2 days in a row, I can usually count on the majority of birds using to lake to be either gone or early to leave the roost on day 3-4.

I have mixed feelings on permanent blinds being built (even out of natural vegetation)--although they're almost unavoidable. For the most part we've eliminated the issue of navigation hazards that permanent blind frames created, but there's still an entitlement issue. I respect other hunters and try to avoid hunting from a blind that I didn't build, but if there's an area that I've scouted and know is holding birds, a few pieces of dog fennel and bamboo aren't going to prevent me from hunting it. I was lazy this season...instead of being one of the first 3 boats on the lake in the mornings, I was often in the 5th-10th bracket. Nothing makes me madder than having been on the lake early only to have someone cruise up an hour or less before LST and try to argue that I'm sitting in "their" spot or blind. No one should have to put up with that crap in the early hours of the morning, period. Unfortunately, that sort of nonsense will always be an issue.

As far as the 10hp limit goes...I hope Jackson stays as-is. The boys with the big boats can still hunt it, and it gives some of them a reason to hold onto their larger boats and refrain from selling and buying a smaller hp setup. I would be in favor of opening Iamonia and Carr to 10hp or less to match Miccosukee, but truth be told, I wish they would limit them all to trolling motor only. Mud motors, particularly surface drives, were among the best things to ever happen to duck hunters, and the among the worst to happen to the ducks. Even the smallest surface drives (with a reasonable load) have enough torque to get you almost anywhere on Miccosukee, and with guys running the lake constantly to scout/hunt--which would be worsened by opening the lake to 5 day/week hunting--the birds have very few places to hide and get run up constantly.

Of the measures you mentioned, I think the one that would have the most positive impact on the ducks would be a 1-2pm closure. The last few years, the lake has been predominantly a roost, with the birds piling in well after LST. That hasn't stopped a few groups from hammering them illegally (which brings me to suggest another measure--increased FWC presence), but an afternoon closure would enable to birds to return to the lake earlier, unpressured.

Just my .02.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Great reply RCS and thanks :beer:

As i mentioned, the above things I posted came from several different hunters, not just me. I'll keep my mouth shut for a while on what my thoughts are. I'm wanting to see what the other local hunters agree, disagree with or new thoughts.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I think the flyover survey revealed more hunters on Iamonia than any other of the 4, so not sure greater access via allowing motors is necessary. I heard that may be in part b/c a greater number of permits were issued for Beadle Road. Also, we need to enforce the rules in existence. Saw motorized boats almost every day I hunted iamonia this year. If they all have Island permits then make sure they're going to islands. If not, ticket them. Also, no need for a permit if the island does not have a residence. I believe what I whitnesses was primarily plantations chasing ducks onto private ponds. Is Fwc allowed a boat? Seems like they only patrol the ramps....
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

micci_man...regardless of whether we share the same views, the points you brought up are all ones that need to be discussed and addressed at large. I'm in MS for most of the year now, and even having only hunted over here one weekend this season, I can tell you FL needs to take a page out of the Mississippi DWFP's playbook. Hunting is extremely well regulated over here, and the quality of habitat created by the state is superb. I realize we have to share the lake with fishermen, but ideally there needs to be a drawdown every X amount of years, and whatever number the state were to settle on, they need to stick to it and get it done. The lake will never truly regulate itself naturally...hasn't in my lifetime, and never will again due to he levy on the north end. If the state biologists were to come in every few years and draw the lake down, letting the south end and shallower areas dry out, there could be some great shallow water SAV and moist-soil habitat.

I rarely hunt Iamonia, so I'm not familiar with Beadle Rd or permits. I do know that I hunted Miccosukee almost every huntable morning for three weeks over Christmas break, and never saw FWC. They may have come and gone by the time I got off the water in the mornings, but they were non-existent at Rococo in the evenings, when most of the illegal shooting (and the most harmful to the birds) was taking place. Showboat, I'm certainly not calling you a liar because I didn't hunt Iamonia at all this season, but I would be shocked to see the number of boats out there exceed that of Miccosukee. Not that it isn't possible, I've just never seen it come anywhere close. There was also a problem with guys running motors far in excess of the 10hp limit this season...much worse than I've seen in years past. I can understand a 12-13hp motor. Because of the way some of the smaller HP engines are classified, it can be somewhat difficult to find one that the manufacturer has rated at exactly 10hp. That being said, there is no excuse whatsoever for running an 18-23+ hp motor, which I saw on several occasions.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Because they're public ramps, I doubt the state could implement or enforce it, but I would like to see ramp passes sold/made mandatory during duck season...the proceeds of which could be used to improve the quality of the lake's habitat. Likely will never happen, but it sure would be nice.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

I'm not calling SB a liar either and I didn't hunt Iamonia at all this yr but know several people that hunted both and some that live on Iamonia and only hunted it and there is no way Iamonia had as many or more boats on it. Several of the guys I know never even seen another boat on many hunts or only a few for the season.

RCS- yes we may not agree on all of it and a draw down is one of the things I don't agree on. do you remember what the lake looked like before the first draw down in 89? Duck and fish haven. Since then after each of the other 2 drains the lake has been taken over with pads, arrowhead bonnets and maiden cain which that has been delt with with spraying but it also has killed the dollar bonnets which isn't good.

I agree with FL needs to look at how duck management is done in other states. My friends that go several times a year tell me about it. Daily hunting with a close time doesn't even affect the birds but then again we aren't in a flyway either.

Enforcing rules/laws....... This is what get me the most. It has been 3 years since anyone has gotten a blind ticket. Early and late shooting in the norm anymore and big motors are showing up more. Opening day there was 5 FWC boats with 8 officers. That is the day that the blind ticket was given. I hunted just about every holiday and weekend of the season and I NEVER saw FWC again. If there are going to be laws they need to be enforced all of the time, daily, not once a year or every other year. heck, they know when people will be hunting and when to be out there. There are only 4 public ramps and 3 private on the entire lake.

I know that there are lots of local hunters on this site and I hope that they will chime in with their likes and dislikes. Thanks for those that have.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

A shell limit would SUCK in my opinion. You say go to the skeet range and get better at shooting. Well, some of us enjoy hunting coots as much as we do ducks. And there're often other birds that are in season at the same time, that do fly over (snipe, crows, doves, and on the very rare occassion I've even seen woodcock). And we've all had birds that we cripple and spend too many shells on trying to kill so we can retrieve our birds. You can bet that with shell restrictions there will be FAR more cripples in the marsh because people won't make that effort to kill the bird if they think it'll take more than one more shot. Sad, but very true. So, that doesn't help the duck population any if there are suddenly tons more cripples swimming around the lakes because folk don't want to use one of their precious shells that they've been told they're only allowed so many of. Merritt Island has a 25 shell limit and I very rarely hear of anyone getting checked on that. I was down south for the second to last season and I was across the river from the Shilohs. CONSERVATIVELY in the first hour, we heard 1000 shots. Then the rest of the day there was still steady shooting though not as fired up as that first hour. There's little to no enforcement of the current rules and all it does is hurt the people who follow the rules. Limits them even more. "Punishes" them in a way.

I don't know why Iamonia shouldn't be a 10hp motor restriction....it's certainly big enough. And you're not allowed to shoot off the islands there? Unless you have a permit? Where do you get a permit? Where can I find the info on that? And here's a question. If it's a no combustion motor lake during duck season, then why aren't people ticketed for having a combustion motor on their boat while they're hunting? Would you get a ticket if you had one, but removed the propeller so that it was obvious there's no way you could use the motor? That's what struck me about Miccosukkee. No more than 10 HP but the day I was out there just glassing from the ramp it was OBVIOUS that the majority of boats out there had motors bigger than 10 HP....by A LOT. Why aren't people ticketed for that?

IF they open more days up, then I think they ought to close at noon or 1. And personally, I've disliked the "nope you can only hunt during the week on wednesday here in leon county....there were several days I thought about giving several woodduck places a try in the morning before work, but it wasn't Wednesday and this year seems like my Wednesdays pretty much were I gotta be at work at this time.

As far as permanent blinds. No way. Doesn't matter what kind. Like has been stated before, it brings with it senses of entitlement to that blind and all it does is create more strife. Though I don't think that palmetto blinds should be considered permanent.

If you're going to have ramp passes, then they ought to be mandatory all year. That's one thing where I think you'd be "sticking it" to duck hunters. Make ALL users pay, all year long, because the proceeds go to benefit them ALL. Or, do like they do down in South FL and in some parking lots in downtown cities where they have kiosks where you pay for and get your parking permit there at the lake. So you only fish/hunt that lake one time a year, you only pay one time. You hunt or fish there all year long, then perhaps you have a yearly pass. BUT that only works when LEO is out there enforcing and writing tickets, not warnings, for people deliberately not displaying their parking pass. Don't make it one of those put your money in the envelope things. Make sure it's one where they take your money or credit card and THEN it issues you a parking pass.