In town on business, where to fish :)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SeeRockCity

In town on business, where to fish :)

Post by SeeRockCity »

All,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times, but a couple quick searches didn't turn up anything (visiting, business, etc.) so I thought I'd ask directly.

I will be in town off and on for a few months on a consulting job. Drive in Sunday, Drive home to Atlanta Thursday night and would like to pass the evenings exploring the area fishing holes. Since I'll be driving (my preference), I have plenty of room in the truck to toss a bunch of gear. I have freshwater / bass, saltwater shore, saltwater spinning gear, fly fishing gear (trout) but no boat/kayak just my legs :)

Time will be somewhat limited based on sunset times. Off work at 5-6 and fish until dark kind of thing, maybe drive down early a Sunday or two or maybe even a Saturday to have an extended time, but mostly looking for things within 30 minutes of the city that are accessible by feet. I'll be working in the northeast right around where 261 and 10 meet but could stay in any part of the city as long as the commute isn't too bad.

So what are some options? Is there somewhere to look online for more information? Is there a thread somewhere I can consume?

Would really LOVE the opportunity for Redfish / Drum, flounder or speckled trout but I'm not really that picky. Just getting a few hours staring at some body of water or running stream is a victory.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any replies.

Tight lines

-Russell
cotton

Re: In town on business, where to fish :)

Post by cotton »

Piney Z for bass bank fishing.
SeeRockCity

Post by SeeRockCity »

cotton wrote:Piney Z for bass bank fishing.
Thanks cotton,

Looks like access would be from Lafayette Heritage Trail Park. Looks very nice.

Although, pictures indicate way too much good holding water to sit on the shore. Could be torture. May have to look into getting a cheap used Kayak and throwing it in the back of the truck ... :)

Thanks!
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Welcome. Yes, I'd park at the park you mentioned. Piney Z has some mowed fingers designed for fishing off the bank. Also there's a long dike on the east end. I've watched people catch average-sized bass off that dike. Heading north from the dike is a new foot bridge over the railroad tracks leading to the hiking trails. They did a nice design on the foot bridge so it's worth the quarter mile walk to get a nice elevated view of the lake. I haven't freshwater fished in years, but i think some people like to striper fish below the Talquin Lake Dam (Ochlockonee River) from the bank.

I stumbled upon this video showing underwater footage of plenty of fish in the Ochlocknee River, and a gator that the guy swims up to. The gator didn't seem to be threatening. He would've never been able to find me to bite through the cloud of brown. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2an-xEcLTI

But overall, your idea for the kayak is the best. There's many really nice places to kayak, and great way to access fresh and saltwater fish. I bet someone on here could rent you one or rent you a place to store it in their garage.
Last edited by lordsfisher on April 17th, 2015, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
SeeRockCity

Post by SeeRockCity »

lordsfisher wrote:Welcome. Yes, I'd park at the park you mentioned. Piney Z has some mowed fingers designed for fishing off the bank. Also there's a long dike on the east end. I've watched people catch average-sized bass off that dike. Heading north from the dike is a new foot bridge over the railroad tracks leading to the hiking trails. They did a nice design on the foot bridge so it's worth the quarter mile walk to get a nice elevated view of the lake.
Great! Thanks for the additional details. Any Saltwater within striking distance?
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

SeeRockCity wrote:Any Saltwater within striking distance?
Yes there's plenty of saltwater. I'd read this recent thread on the topic. I'd invite you on my boat too, but I usually stay out longer than a couple hours.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... ne#p294471
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

My neighbor was walking the west dike yesterday morning and found himself between two bellowing gators one on each side of the dike. He described the gator on the Piney Z side as "easy 10 ft. ". So , make sure you don't get too close to the waters edge particularly at dusk.
SeeRockCity

Post by SeeRockCity »

lordsfisher wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:Any Saltwater within striking distance?
Yes there's plenty of saltwater. I'd read this recent thread on the topic. I'd invite you on my boat too, but I usually stay out longer than a couple hours.

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... ne#p294471
Wow, very generous offer lordsfisher, but then I guess I'd expect nothing less based on what I've read so far in this forum. Thank you. I'll check that thread out this morning.

-r
SeeRockCity

Post by SeeRockCity »

TallyFish wrote:My neighbor was walking the west dike yesterday morning and found himself between two bellowing gators one on each side of the dike. He described the gator on the Piney Z side as "easy 10 ft. ". So , make sure you don't get too close to the waters edge particularly at dusk.
:o
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

SeeRockCity wrote:found himself between two bellowing gators one on each side of the dike. He described the gator on the Piney Z side as "easy 10 ft. "
Don't worry, they were just looking for a hand out, if you know what I mean. :D

Seriously, I agree about the dusk comment, better to err on the side of caution. But, you don't have to worry much. The odds of being attacked in Florida by a gator is 1 in 24 million. They do become protective when they have nests or young in the area. If you see a baby or hear one squeaking for it's mother, it would be good to ease away. Also, an alligator that has been fed by humans quickly becomes very aggressive and losses its fear of humans. Alligators (and sharks) do inhabit saltwater flats and marshes, so common sense there too. I came face to mask with smaller gator when snorkeling in murky saltwater when I was a teenager. We surprised each other and both put it in reverse. :lol:

I have room for one more on the boat for tomorrow if you're still in town. We'll be out most of the day.
SeeRockCity

Post by SeeRockCity »

lordsfisher wrote:
The odds of being attacked in Florida by a gator is 1 in 24 million.
With my luck, those are short odds :lol:
lordsfisher wrote:
I have room for one more on the boat for tomorrow if you're still in town. We'll be out most of the day.
Again, very generous offer but I'm not down there yet. Not exactly sure when I'll start, but just lining things up. Thanks again for the info.

Looks like Bald Point might be the closest option in terms of what was mentioned from the thread you linked, however, looks like it's probably 1.5 hours from work to wetting a line when you consider traffic, setup, parking, walking etc. which puts me on a fish no earlier than 6:30 on a good day. Probably a little ambitious with sundown at 8-9(ish) :(

Anything closer from a saltwater perspective?
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Good wade fishing at the St Marks Lighthouse area as well.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I've seen people catch some nice redfish from the shore at the state park at St. Marks. You can also go down to the light house and wade out from there. St. Marks should only be about a 30 - 45 min drive for you.
SeeRockCity

Post by SeeRockCity »

ugadawg wrote:I've seen people catch some nice redfish from the shore at the state park at St. Marks. You can also go down to the light house and wade out from there. St. Marks should only be about a 30 - 45 min drive for you.
Thanks guys,

Looking into this option. Looks like it's potentially in scope given the distance. I can see the lighthouse on the map, but how far north in the park can you still find Redfish and (without asking for someone's favorite fishing hole) what access points are you referring to?
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Just know that I have never fished off the bank at St. Marks. I just see people fishing here when I am passing by in my boat or waiting to load my boat. That said, I have sat in the river and seen people pull in much nicer fish than I caught in the boat that day. I always see them in the red circle at the point.
St Marks.JPG
Now, if I were fishing from the shore, I would go down and park by the lighthouse and wade out on the oyster bars at high tide. Also, if I were fishing from shore I would probably get pissed off pretty quickly at the places I couldn't get to and go buy me a kayak :lol: :lol: .