which trolling motor

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

which trolling motor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

well, looks like my 80# MinnKota SF has bit the dust at just shy of 4 years old. I think it is mechanically fine and was running Saturday, but I knew structurally it was hurting based upon its posture in the front of my boat. Saturday morning it locked up and I couldn't get it to release, so I had use the quick release mount to pull it out of the water. Repair service wants $500-600 for the bracket. Looking at reviews, the SF appears to have the best feedback of all MinnKota motors, but none of the reviews are very good. Anyone have a great review or experiencing good quality from their motor? Has MinnKota's quality gone down in recent years? I want a hand tiller and at least 80#s out of a 24v.
Last edited by SHOWBOAT on April 28th, 2015, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: which trolling motor

Post by Salty Gator »

SHOWBOAT wrote:well, looks like my 80# MinnKota SF has bit the dust at just shy of 4 years old. I think it is mechanically fine and was running Saturday, but I knew structurally it was hurting based upon its posture in the front of my boat. Saturday morning it locked up and I couldn't get it to release, so I had use the quick release mount to pull it out of the water. Repair service wants $500-600 for the bracket. Looking at reviews, the SF appears to have the best feedback of all MinnKota motors, but none of the reviews are very good. Anyone have a great review of experiencing good quality from their motor? Has MinnKota's quality gone down in recent years? I want a hand tiller and at least 80#s out of a 24v.

Forget the hand tiller and get an I pilot. I really wanted a hand tiller also, but the remote is a piece of cake and the spot lock is the coolest feature ever. I know you don't fish deep water much, but man, it is sweet
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I second the I pilot. best investment I ever made on my last boat.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

My opinion is they ain't all that...if you don't have you controller or batteries go out its useless.you can't steer it or turn it on/off.Anchor mode is nice sometimes...the track back you would like on your boat. As far as fishing the creeks go I would get the tiller and put a big foot or something to steer with my knee, at least you have to hands to fish with.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Gulf Coast wrote:My opinion is they ain't all that...if you don't have you controller or batteries go out its useless.you can't steer it or turn it on/off.Anchor mode is nice sometimes...the track back you would like on your boat. As far as fishing the creeks go I would get the tiller and put a big foot or something to steer with my knee, at least you have to hands to fish with.
It is a good idea to have a few remote batteries on hand. That is one thing I would change, if your battery dies in the remote , you don't have a tm. But, I wouldn't go back for anything( but I do offshore/ nearshore fish some). Good luck
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

I love my iPilot but I do wish it didn't wander so much before tracking back to where the anchor mode was engaged. When the current is strong, the back and forth motion is aggravating when trying to hold a spot.
The Back Porch
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have an i pilot and although I do love the spot lock feature, the battery issue is a pain to me. When the battery goes out you are literally dead in the water.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

tallykenj wrote:I love my iPilot but I do wish it didn't wander so much before tracking back to where the anchor mode was engaged. When the current is strong, the back and forth motion is aggravating when trying to hold a spot.
I'm not sure if this is true, but I was told to stand on the bow, close to the tm before hitting the button. i was told you would lock where you are standing when you hit the button, not where the tm is when you hit the button. Part of the problem may also be that your on a 30 something foot tooner. The wind likely affects it more than a lower profile bay boat.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Salty, I have not had a dead battery, just say one could have a dead battery and be dead in the water. I know how Showboat fishes, so my commit weren't really for you(no kill). It's just plan hard to fish when your constantly reaching for the controller in a tight creek. Now in your offshore/nearshore application they are nice. :smt004
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Gulf Coast wrote:Salty, I have not had a dead battery, just say one could have a dead battery and be dead in the water. I know how Showboat fishes, so my commit weren't really for you(no kill). It's just plan hard to fish when your constantly reaching for the controller in a tight creek. Now in your offshore/nearshore application they are nice. :smt004
I hear ya. I've had a dead battery and luckily had a spare. Also, they do make a foot controller for the I pilot.
I've used it in creeks, and it is easy once you get used to it. You can reach for a tiller handlel(unless you use your knee) just like the remote. But if you aren't on the bow, you don't have to run up there. Also looking at getting a tower, so driving from up top would be a plus. GC, I really wanted a tiller handle also, but they don't make one w a spot lock, but once o got used to the remote, I like it better. I really don't use any of the other features, someone else may chime in on those
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Just like a boat ....nobody makes an all in one boat, everyone likes a little different . :thumbup: :thumbup:
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

thanks for the feedback.

GC-you know my set-up. Bigfoot and steering with knees is the way I do it now.

appreciate all the comments re: iPilot. If I were in a glass boat, then I think I would go that way. I've been thinking about moving towards a larger glass boat, so I'll put that in the thought bank. My boat gets to nearshore spots so rarely that I don't want to add any complexity to a necessary tool for its primary purpose, chasing shallow fish in "4 wheel drive."

Sounds like everyone still prefers Minnkotas. The SF has the lift assist and is a bit more expensive, but I think I have to replace my quick release bracket if I go to a different model....

Sounding like I may just go with a new SF for now.

Thanks.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Ipilot is hands down the way to go. Battery last a very long time and at $3.50 a piece, why wouldn't you carry spares. It takes seconds to change and has a battery meter. I change mine before it goes dead. As far as in creeks, it's the cats meow! I use the cruise control to control speed. I like .3 mph. Also, use the classic autopilot feature to control direction. If you get I link you can set it to follow contours. The Ultegra will even stow and deploy from remote and trim.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I was a Minn Kota man before I started using the motor guide on my boat. I could easily kill a set of batteries with a MK - I can't with the motorguide. I fished Saturday in gale force winds figured the were way down - can never get the batteries below 50%.

Have used an ipilot and it is nice - if I go 36 volts plan to get the same in a motorguide. Stand on a tall platform and steer with the remote - better than using my foot lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I recently got the ipilot and so far really like it. I went ahead and got the foot pedal in case the remote ever malfunctioned.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc