Aucilla River

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DoubleR

Aucilla River

Post by DoubleR »

I would like to start fishing the flats around Aucilla River. I have heard it is tough to navigate the river entrance. Does anyone have any tips? I do have small boat 17 ft boat with trolling motor. I am just worried about rocks and oyster bars. Thanks
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Aucilla River

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WOULD GO WITH SOMEONE WHO IS FAMILAR WITH THE RIVER FIRST BEFORE TRYING TO GO ON YOUR ON. LOOK ON THE MAPS ON THE HOME PAGE AND SEE IF THEY HAVE ONE POINTING OUT WHERE THE BAD ROCKS ARE IN THE RIVER.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I second what Pa said. That is a tricky river to navigate, even when you've done it a while. But the flats around the mouth of the river are great fishing most of the time.
Yours in the South
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Found this map the other day.
aucilla782.JPG
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

now you know those rocks are not in the same spot now as they are in that map!

Here's my ode to Mandalay...

Travelling down Aucilla, following my usual path
hoping not to encounter these rocks' wrath;
inch to the left, inch to the right,
BAM!
...THESE MOTHER EFFERS HAVE GOT TO MOVE AROUND AT NIGHT!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I wish this modification I made to that map were a joke, but it is true.

My advice would be run at idle everywhere you go until you are comfortable with water depths and rock locations. Then run at idle for 5 more years. :D

Also, get an insurance policy on your boat and make sure striking rocks is covered. Mine was, thank goodness. Farm Bureau should have smacked me in the head for being dumb, because I knew better and was in a rush. new Bob's low water pickup and Tempest prop.
Aucilla.jpg
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My nephew and I went in together on a 14 foot aluminum and a 9.9 old Johnson. We haul arse everywhere we go at the speed of smell. We call it our Aucilla boat.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

There goes the neighborhood again.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

This is the Captain Randall Leger/Captain Randy Peart Aucilla Route map.
As with any navigational map it should not be relied upon and used with caution.
Having said that,it is the most accurate route you can find while creating your own route.
FOOTNOTE::: Captain J.R. Walker pulled a boat back to the ramp on Saturday that lost a foot in the Aucilla.

Another note..........grease your trailer hubs.
Stinson and I saw a hub burn out and tire flattened when returning from Aucilla on Saturday
Check your trailer springs and axle too.

p.s. The twin palms referred to on the Aucilla route map are barely visible now as the tops were blown off in a storm several years ago.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Hmm. Despite getting spanked in the last two tourneys, I think I'll stay with my canoe paddling strategy. At least my worst days don't involve expensive repairs.
DoubleR

Post by DoubleR »

Wow, I feel lucky. :o I did venture out of the lower Aucillia river landing on Memorial weekend. I proceeded at idle speed and carefully watched depth finder. I did not encounter any problems until I reached the mouth of the river. It was like a wall of oyster bars all the way across. I skirted west for about a mile until I was able to exit past the stake line. I did the same on the return trip and safely returned with out damage. However, I did idle in and out of river. It was frustrating at the mouth, especially watching several guys buzz in and out. It is a beautiful river and I managed to catch 3 keeper trout 1 red and two flounder. I hope to try it again when I am felling lucky. :D
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Me and the Wife went out there two Saturdays ago and had no problems or rock encounters. Exited through Gamble Point and went over to Grey Mare and returned through the West Pass (Cut). The fish didn't cooperate, but that's ok, it was a beautiful day on the water/sunshine and palms. When you go out and rerun, you must pay close attention to BOTH the TIDES and the WINDS as they both have a major effect on water levels in the coastal zones. If you really want to "learn" that river, put your boat in at the ramp in January on a negative low tide (with a strong wind out of the north 15-20) and you can strike every rock between the ramp and the gulf. (I did it and it hurts) :hammer: :hammer:

Regardless, I love that area and it will always be in my soul.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY MIKE, I HAVE A PART INTEREST IN THE AUCILLA, THE LOWER SECTION ON MY 200 EVINRUDE WAS LOST GOING AROUND THE ISLAND. WENT BACK DOWN IN THE CANOE THE NEXT DAY AND IT WAS GONE, THAT LITTLE EXCURSION ONLY COST $2,800.00. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I DO NOT GO DOWN THE AUCILLA ANYMORE. SAME THING CAN HAPPEN ON THE ICCONFINA IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. WONDER IF WE COULD GET THE CORP. OF ENGINEERS TO COME IN AND DEEPEN THE CANAL AT THE LIGHTHOUSE, DREDGE THE AUCILLA, DEEPEN THE ECONFINA. I HAVE PAID THE GOVERNMENT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN THE PAST, SEEMS LIKE THEY AUGHT TO RETURN SOME OF THAT IN KEEPING MY FAVORITE RIVERS AND LANDING CLEAR OF ANY OBSTRUCTIONS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:HEY MIKE, I HAVE A PART INTEREST IN THE AUCILLA, THE LOWER SECTION ON MY 200 EVINRUDE WAS LOST GOING AROUND THE ISLAND. WENT BACK DOWN IN THE CANOE THE NEXT DAY AND IT WAS GONE, THAT LITTLE EXCURSION ONLY COST $2,800.00. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I DO NOT GO DOWN THE AUCILLA ANYMORE. SAME THING CAN HAPPEN ON THE ICCONFINA IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. WONDER IF WE COULD GET THE CORP. OF ENGINEERS TO COME IN AND DEEPEN THE CANAL AT THE LIGHTHOUSE, DREDGE THE AUCILLA, DEEPEN THE ECONFINA. I HAVE PAID THE GOVERNMENT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN THE PAST, SEEMS LIKE THEY AUGHT TO RETURN SOME OF THAT IN KEEPING MY FAVORITE RIVERS AND LANDING CLEAR OF ANY OBSTRUCTIONS.
PA
SEMPER FI
I gotcha PA ! That would be a great thing, but at the same time it would make the river "more accessible" and apply even more "fishing pressure" on the fish in the area. The Aucilla should remain a "non-commercial" waterway in my humble opinion. I only put in at the Fort in St Marks, no more lighthouse as the saltwater-rust "ate" my trailer. It was a bear to rebuild it and I don't want to ever do that again either.

Sorry about your lower unit. I've been outright lucky and only lost part of my skegg on my first or second motor. I'm on the third, and likely the last.

Good Hearing from you PA ! salute1
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

No Guts....No Glory!

Run those rivers with reckless abandon! Remember: boat and motor repair folks got to eat also! :-D :o

I'm not sure what the dues are but I guarandamntee you I've paid mine over the past 45 years! :-D :o

Methinks the element of danger helps keep us young!!!!!!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.