Carolina Skiff Owners ?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

T Smith
Site Sponsor

Carolina Skiff Owners ?

Post by T Smith »

OK Guys,

I probably already know the answer , but I just want to hear from somebody who actually owns a Carolina Skiff. There are a few things I really like about them. It seems like you get alot of boat for the money and can customize them pretty much however you want. There was a dreamboat article in Florida Sportsman Last month or so, and the guy basically did what I have in mind. Im just wandering if the ride is really that bad. Also if the semi-v takes chop any better than the dlx series. My buddy grew up fishing in an old 18' whaler and swears if hed of had cavities they would of been knocked out, and every time i mention them my dad says yeea but they ride rough and wet. Im trying to decide between buying a CS or finding and old mako or robalo( 19'-21') and fixing it up. Im young and amitious or young and stupid. Ive got a little money saved probably enough to get a boat and work on it some. Once I graduate and finally get a job I will hang a motor on it. This way when the kids come along my wife cant complain about a boat payment. I can use my Dads boat pretty much whenever but its about time to get my own. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
eat_mo_crawfish

Post by eat_mo_crawfish »

I don't own a CS, but looked at them a bunch when I was in the market. They sure seem like a good deal for the $$$.

I ended up buying a used 15' Whaler and have been very happy with it. The boat is dry and not at all rough. The only time I took a wave over the bow was a few years ago when I was doing my Chalkinator impersonation in St. Joe Bay, trying to run around in 4' seas. Duh.

The 18' version your friend grew up fishing in was probably an early 70's model (a Tashmoo or something like that), when Whalers were indeed a rough and wet ride. The company had not refined the hull at that time to have the trademark "smirk" that is now the standard on Whalers. Any post-1980 Whaler should be quite dry, and there are a ton of used ones around (not many here in Tally, though). I guess my advice is don't take Whalers off of your radar screen completely when you're looking.

Good luck finding a boat!!!
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

I have a 22ft sundance skiff ( similar ), it has the semi v front end, its not a bad riding boat, just like always, the choppier it gets the worse the ride, but for the $ i think it compares very well for a bay type boat. I've taken it offshore a few times and it does fine unless the seas get up, and i have got wet especially with the wind and seas going in the right direction, but generally for inshore, its real good.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

eat_mo_crawfish wrote:The only time I took a wave over the bow was a few years ago when I was doing my Chalkinator impersonation in St. Joe Bay, trying to run around in 4' seas. Duh.
That would be a Tincan :smt042 ....I was they one hollering YEEEEHAAAWWWWWW...Do it again :o :smt042
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

The boy ain't right. :smt011
What was I supposed to do today?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

the apple doesn't fall far ...
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:smt017
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I have a friend w/ a 21' Carolina Skiff, and he absolutely loves it. He fishes as much or more than anyone else I know, so it gets plenty of use.
jmay
Site Sponsor

Post by jmay »

I had a cs semi-v and liked it until I was told that the fish were biting in the east flats and I was at shell point. It was early spring and the morning temp was 55 and cloudy. GPS said we had 14 miles to go... we had gone .4 mile when everybody on the boat was soaked to the shorts and screaming uncle. Didn't make the rest of the trip..... A month later I traded for a CS sea chaser 1800 and have not been wet since... and that has been 12 trips since. I liked the 1765 except in the chop.
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

I've got the 2380 Semi-V and really do like it. I'd say the ride is a little better than the flat bottom series but its still rough and wet in a chop. I have to run slow in a moderate chop or it will beat you up pretty good but its very stable while drifting or while anchored. Its a trade off. I've been working on it for 3 years rigging it the way I want and it gets the job done with plenty of room. If I were looking to buy new though I'd consider the Sea Pro bay. I bought mine used 3 years ago and bought it for a lot less then a new one would have cost. I'm of the opinion that by the time you buy new and complete the rigging you'll spend close to what some of the better bay boats will cost. Just my 02.
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...