Opinions wanted-repower

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Opinions wanted-repower

Post by onefishtwofish »

This will take a bit, but bear with me.

I have a 2001 Ranger Cayman 184. I love the room, the ride and the layout of the boat. It is a nice mix of stability in chop and can run as shallow as I need to. I am not a poler, we run the TM and do fine, so a lighter boat is not really needed. Have a removable dive ladder rigged to the side of the poling platform that works even for my big tail. It is an 01 and of course little things go wrong here and there and may be thinking about upgrading gauges and such. But that is kind of the life of saltwater I guess. I am very happy with the boat and have all the toys I need on it.

I have an 01 Merc 200 hp carb. (not efi). It has on 04 power head. It came on the boat. It can be aggravating and tends to be a little frustrating, but has never left me stranded. My mechanic is a Mercury guy. I make some so so runs, but never go offshore outside of Dog or St George.

1) I am having the mechanic remove the oil pump and going to mix my own as the pump unit going out is a known problem with these motors.
2) He is ordering me a new jack plate (mine has been broken for years)
3) The motor, when it is running well is all I need for this boat. I have played a little and got it to 51 mph, without the jackplate working. I never run it that fast though, I cruise at 30-35 everywhere I go.

So, after a lot of reading on the web, I have narrowed my choices.
1) New Merc Optimax 200 - 15,000 with trade on the motor, 7 year warranty. that is with new throttle (which I could use).
2) He has a brand new 07 Mercury 200 that he got, never been run. It has 2 hours on it. No warranty. 8,500 with new rigging.
3) New mercury 150 4 stroke - 10,500. Going down on power concerns me and worried more about hole shot than top end.
4) Live with what I have. If I blow the motor, it is worth nothing, but best case is 1500 trade it, so I don't see that as a super big gamble. Just starting to worry that he will have it more than me. Start watching for used late model fuel injected engines and wait for a deal or until I blow my motor and then get what I can.

FWIW, I am cheap, but will spend the $$ if I am getting my money's worth. If I go new, I will stay Mercury as this guy, that I trust completely, can only do warranty on Merc. If I found a Yammy, that would be my pick for a used engine, so don't sell me on a new Yamaha. I like dealing with people rather than companies and I trust him to do right by me. If I buy new, like the mech said, I am committing to this boat for 10 more years to make the investment wise. I can afford any of the options, but I don't WANT to waste my hard earned money. I have a LOT of hobbies.

Any thoughts? Shoot straight with me. I know it is my decision, just tell me what you would do or if anyone has made a similar choice on a repower.

I fish 0-2 days per week all summer and usually put the boat away for all but a couple of trips from Oct-Mar.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
flatsbroke22

Re: Opinions wanted-repower

Post by flatsbroke22 »

If you can afford it with no worries and are sure your going to keep her for another ten years I would buy new. The comfort of not having to worry about any major problems for the next 7 years would be a huge deal for me. I would also consider dropping down to a 150. A new 150 is going to have a lot more power than that old carbed 200 I would think plus save you some cash.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

BUY THE O7 MERK. YA CAN'T BEAT THAT PRICE WITH A STICK.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Don't think you're going to be happy with a four-stroke with less horsepower. Just not enough hole shot from what you're used to, plus I always like to go with more power and not push it than labor the engine constantly. A 200 4S on that hull is going to be very stern heavy.

The OptiMax is a great engine. Light, strong and great fuel economy. With the increasingly stricter environmental standards, it may be obsolete by the time the warranty is out, but you'll have that piece of mind and dependable service in the meantime.

I'd avoid the used engine with no warranty. You say it hasn't been run, yet it has 2 hours? Hummm. I'd spend more and go with the sure thing.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Based on my experience with the new 4 strokes that Merc 150 would surprise you.

I hear it is a beast.

I just got a new F115 and it has great hole shot power on a 18' fiberglass hull.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Check with the shop in Quincy - he quoted a 250 proxs for 15 and was giving 5 for my 200. Best deal I have found and what I"m going to do in the next week or so.

http://www.speedncustommarine.com
coolchange

Post by coolchange »

I blew a power head about 2 years ago with my Mercury Optimax 115 and replaced with the new Evinrude 135 HO. I received free rigging and a 5 year warranty through Brett at Shields. Best move I ever made.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have an 07 Optimax 200. Haven't had any problems with it all. I am very meticulous about the maintenance replacing the impeller every year and I always flush the motor after saltwater. I only run non-ethanol and replace the plugs every two years (which, by the way, are very expensive). Even though I have had great service from my opti, I would repower with a four stroke. Some of my friends have them and it sure is nice to be able to talk to someone while running.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Thanks Chalk, that is my guy.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I would consider the 150 4S, from what I have seen its a very powerful 150. I have the same motor you have but a 2002. It's been rebuilt once. Next motor will be a 4S. My boat is heavier than yours, 2002 Cape Horn 22 Bay,otherwise I would get the 150 Mercury 4S. Maybe they will make a 200hp version.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Mercury's new four-strokes are impressive. Much lighter and better acceleration than the earlier versions.

Optimax 200 V-6, 3.0 liter, is 497 pounds.

The four-stroke 200 is an inline 4, 3.0 liter and tips the scales at 455 pounds.

It all depends on performance expectations and trade-offs for weight-to-power ratio.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Where do you see that spec Silver? I am looking on the Merc site and see the 200 Verado inline 4 as 510 pounds (but that may be the 175 version - it says lightest model available). My current engine is 408 pounds. I would lose the weight of the oil reserve though, so maybe add an extra 50 ish pounds.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/eng ... ke/150-hp/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. The Optis are in another section of the site.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

10-4. That is the 150, I thought we were talking the 200.

I have decided to go the route of mixing my own oil (had the pump and sundries removed), milking the old engine and then repowering when I have to. I am going to get a new jackplate right now as that is an expense I would do with a new engine. Probably not too far in the future.

Thanks for all your thoughts folks.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I'd put a used optimax on it.

They seem to run between 3-6,000. I even found good running twin 150's for 3500.