Official Scallop report thread!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Re: Official Scallop report thread!

Post by flatsbroke »

Gonna try and take the kiddos this week, should I go to the North toward Dekle or South toward grassy?? It's their first time, would just love to put em on some scallops. Or will they be picked over by mid-week/ :/
Flatsbroke
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Image. Today at Keaton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

flatsbroke wrote:Gonna try and take the kiddos this week, should I go to the North toward Dekle or South toward grassy?? It's their first time, would just love to put em on some scallops. Or will they be picked over by mid-week/ :/
. Don't know about south. But north has been good.

KLONG
Site Sponsor

Post by KLONG »

Went to the rock garden on wed. the 1st and found a few. Only about a gallon for three people in about an hour. It was all I wanted to clean by myself. They were there but not as many as in years past. The water was super clear and there were a lot of boats for the middle of the week. Looks like Keaton is the way to go.
BTW, saw no gators at the light house ramp.
Jdobbertien

Post by Jdobbertien »

I am new to this forum but i went out of st. marks (just SW of rock garden) last Thursday 7/2/15 and it appears that the FWC .1 scallops per square meter was pretty accurate. I would search an area of about 10 square meters and find one scallop. We ended up with about 1/2 a persons limit between me and my buddy after about 2-3 hours in the water. I'm wondering if anyone has done better in the area and if they have any pointers.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Yeah. Prett tuff hoeing at St Marks. Keaton the place to go..
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Headed down in the a.m. with the kids(first trip btw) and from what I'm reading it doesnt matter whether I go North OR South to put the kiddos on some scallops, it being their first time and the youngest being only 6, I was just looking for the best clarity to make it more enjoyable for them. Can anyone help me with this? I heard Dekle was a tad stained while grassy was clear. If anyone can shed some light that has either been in or heard about clarity in the past day or so, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, T. Braswell.
Flatsbroke
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

flatsbroke wrote:Headed down in the a.m. with the kids(first trip btw) and from what I'm reading it doesnt matter whether I go North OR South to put the kiddos on some scallops, it being their first time and the youngest being only 6, I was just looking for the best clarity to make it more enjoyable for them. Can anyone help me with this? I heard Dekle was a tad stained while grassy was clear. If anyone can shed some light that has either been in or heard about clarity in the past day or so, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, T. Braswell.
. I have not been to grassy yet but Dekle is pretty clear( not crystal ) No trouble seeing them at all. Just needs to be around 10:00 or so for good sunlight angle. Put them on needle grass instead of the large wavy grass and they are easier to spot. Needle grass looks darker than the surrounding grass from the boat.

flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Thanks, Greg. Maybe we'll have a great report.
Flatsbroke
Connie.itworks

Post by Connie.itworks »

Are there any scallop sightings at Port St. Joe?
Little grasshopper

Post by Little grasshopper »

Actually went to Keaton today and got out scallops up by dekel but it was kinda cloudy about the time we jumped in and the water was fairly cloudy. Took about an hour and a half to get our limits but we moved about 5 times hunting the right bottom.

We found them everywhere we stopped. Seemed like the taller grass still had big bunches (could find 6-8) once you got to the bottom. My wife prefers the thin needle grass so that's where we would stay the longest.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

flatsbroke wrote:Thanks, Greg. Maybe we'll have a great report.
post it up.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Little grasshopper wrote:Actually went to Keaton today and got out scallops up by dekel but it was kinda cloudy about the time we jumped in and the water was fairly cloudy. Took about an hour and a half to get our limits but we moved about 5 times hunting the right bottom.

We found them everywhere we stopped. Seemed like the taller grass still had big bunches (could find 6-8) once you got to the bottom. My wife prefers the thin needle grass so that's where we would stay the longest.
Good deal.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Image. Image. Keaton today. 7/11/15. The ramp was a cluster.

lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

i know Keaton is loaded, but was hoping someone had a report from St. Marks recently.
850-273-8818