Will pay to learn how to catch a Sheepshead before Labor Day

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Will pay to learn how to catch a Sheepshead before Labor Day

Post by GaryDroze »

True confessions...

I have caught a grand total of ONE Sheepie in 22 years of fishing Apalachee Bay (mostly St Marks Refuge). Dave Lear convinced me to register for the CCA Star Tourney, which goes all summer and includes a Sheepshead division. I have located them in refuge creeks, and even got them to bite on fiddler crabs, but can't manage to bring one in. They either steal my bait or flop off. So frustrated that this has now turned into a bucket list venture. School starts up in five weeks (I'm a teacher), so I have until then to land one of these wily convict fish.

If there are any Sheepie experts out there who can help me, I will reward you with money, redfish tips on my best refuge tidal creeks, or a free meal, featuring one of the two the two items my track team kids request : largemouth bass ceviche or grilled redfish.

Gary
big bend gyrene

Re: Will pay to learn how to catch a Sheepshead before Labor

Post by big bend gyrene »

Gary, are you wanting/needing to keep the fishing restricted to land based?

Know of a boating spot that is very productive, but I only have targeted them in the winter. Will PM you with the details for whatever they may or may not be worth.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Kinda in the same boat. I have only caught one in my life but I had never targeted them until this year. Always wanted to catch them but didn't know how. I still don't know a lot about them but I can give you a couple tips. I think the best time to catch them is late winter/early spring. This is their spawning period. They like structure. As for fishing it's a must to use a small, strong, sharp hook. Live fiddler crabs or shrimp will be your best bait. They are very finicky eaters and have a subtle bite. As soon as you think you have a bite you better be setting the hook. They are notorious bait stealers. I too am in the STAR tourney and need to catch one but have yet to try for them this summer.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
mastercaster

Post by mastercaster »

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I am a sheepshead sight fishing expert.

I'll PM you, no payment necessary, the stories of your frustration with them will be good enough.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Fiddler crabs and small,sharp steel hooks. We used a small steel leader as they have been known to bite your hook off. I have always heard fish around structure around last part of falling tide works best. Me and Dad used to catch all of them we wanted around the old Cooper River Bridge in Charleston when I was growing up. Seems like when he bumped the line once, it was time to set the hook. If you wait too long, he will crush the crab and blow the empty hook out. In the wintertime, any rock piles in the rivers usually hold them. 1/8 oz. jig with small piece of shrimp works well. Good luck!
Yours in the South
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Pm sent
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

SG don't give away C's Sheepshead spots to Gary. He fishes 4 days a week. :lol:

If you look at the prizes available vs number of entries in the Sheepshead category of the CCA Star tournament.......you will see why Gary is on a mission. :wink:

I thought about doing the same thing, but I decided to stick with inspecting the local redfish looking for that little yellow tag that says "Hells Bay Waterman" or " 22 Pathfinder". 8)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Come on guys just tell him the super secret method... you have to set the hook BEFORE they bite... :-D

Warning my entire sheepshead experience is about a dozen caught in August at Snake Bight channel in ENP... on a popping cork no less and a few random ones up here. I'm thinking they were extra hungry or stupid that day at Snake Bight!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I'm not going to take the rap for Gary's obsession. He was a fanatic long before I met him. I just gave him an outlet, although Mrs. Droze is probably dog-cussing my name. :lol:

Used to catch sheepshead by the dozens around the jetties in Pensacola Pass. We'd get broke off so often that I'd tie multiple leaders in advance and wind them on to a piece of cardboard in preparation. Our trick was small live shrimp threaded on to a small J-hook and just enough of a split shot to get down into the rocks and concrete. They are crafty though. Maybe we should rename them El Chapo. My Big Bend track record is much more spotty. The last one I caught was in a creek at Hickory Mound on a Rapala Twitchin' Rap, no less. That fish definitely ate the plug, as it was hooked in lips. Thought I had a trophy trout the way it fought. Go figure? Sheepies will occasionally eat small crustacean flies like Gotchas, Crazy Charlies and little Merkins. Hookup ratio is very low, however.

Between having the boat on the market and staying on the billfish tournament trail nearly non-stop this summer, my own plan to compete hard in the STAR hasn't panned out. If only I could score points for verifying catches of yellowfin tuna and dorado, I would be kicking some serious hiney. :roll:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote:SG don't give away C's Sheepshead spots to Gary. He fishes 4 days a week. :lol:

If you look at the prizes available vs number of entries in the Sheepshead category of the CCA Star tournament.......you will see why Gary is on a mission. :wink:

I thought about doing the same thing, but I decided to stick with inspecting the local redfish looking for that little yellow tag that says "Hells Bay Waterman" or " 22 Pathfinder". 8)
Don't worry rocky, the only person that I know that knows that area better than K( not C), is Gary. And Gary is one of the most generous fishermen I've ever met. Always willing to share good knowledge that most others would keep a secret. :thumbup:
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Salty Gator wrote: Don't worry rocky, the only person that I know that knows that area better than K( not C), is Gary. And Gary is one of the most generous fishermen I've ever met. Always willing to share good knowledge that most others would keep a secret. :thumbup:
I am of the share your intel very wisely school. I firmly believe that if I had discovered those Tarpon at Turkey Point instead of my friend Gene I would be out there right now.....all by myself.... jumping fish after fish using multiple rods held high with Cajun Thunders showing and a couple of big landing nets flapping in the breeze as camouflage. :lol:

I also don't think Gary really needs any help. He is on the fish like nobody else I know. I just wish he would wave to me every now and then. :smt006
― John Dutton
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Call me Gary 509-3116

Thanks - Steve
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote:
Salty Gator wrote: Don't worry rocky, the only person that I know that knows that area better than K( not C), is Gary. And Gary is one of the most generous fishermen I've ever met. Always willing to share good knowledge that most others would keep a secret. :thumbup:
I am of the share your intel very wisely school. I firmly believe that if I had discovered those Tarpon at Turkey Point instead of my friend Gene I would be out there right now.....all by myself.... jumping fish after fish using multiple rods held high with Cajun Thunders showing and a couple of big landing nets flapping in the breeze as camouflage. :lol:

I also don't think Gary really needs any help. He is on the fish like nobody else I know. I just wish he would wave to me every now and then. :smt006
Those tarpon were here way before Gene
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Sorry.....Tarpon have been "there" for thousands of years.

Gene was the first person to figure out how to specifically target them in the traditional "keys" style. Flats skiff, staked out, sightfishing with a flyrod.
― John Dutton
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Thanks for the tips and PMs, guys. I'm out of town for track team stuff this weekend, but will try your hints next week and get back to all who are helping. Feel free to pump me for scoop on any creek east of the St Marks lighthouse in the refuge. I'm stupid on most of the bay, but know every inch of those refuge creeks. Gary