Boat stains

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Boat stains

Post by Salty Gator »

When we moved to the new house, I put up a pole barn to store the boat. I was excited to have it covered at my house. I soon realized there is some tree/ bush/ vine that is producing some sort of product that ends up on the boat and stains the bejesus out of it. They are small( about the size of pepper) and when there is moisture (dew) they bleed out a rust colored spot. At first the were relatively easy to remove with stain remover, but now they are almost impossible to remove. I'd love to get rid of whatever is causing it. The trees closest to the barn are a water oak, cedar trees, dogwood, sweet gum and a scuppernong vine. Any help would be more than appreciated. Here is a pic. Thanks again

Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
countrycorners

Re: Boat stains

Post by countrycorners »

I've a crepe myrtle in the back yard that stains up my boat.
I find that the fish don't care that its a mess.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Your picture doesn't give me a clue as to what size the spots are. If it is very small spots it could be house fly crap. If your boat is covered, under a shelter, it would about have to be some type insect. What have you seen that flies and rest on your boat? Is it all over are just one side, like the side near the outside of the barn?

I need more clues! This is interesting. Let us know what you find out.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Might be residue from the sweetgum or something that has been eating beauty berries( if they are nearby also) leaving their waste. salty gator posted something a year ago about magic eraser and something else that removed stains very well. http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... er#p290574
You might still have to cover the boat with a tarp to stop it from happening in the future. Kind of takes the fun out of having a covered storage area though.
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

Like you I was excited about my new pole barn to keep my boat covered, and especially out of the sun and rain. However, I soon discovered that it did not prevent all kinds of crap from the trees( we have lots of them nearby) from blowing in,some of which cause stains like you have. I added some side panels about halfway down which seem to be preventing most of it.
tcoram

Post by tcoram »

Mr.Cleans, magic eraser cleans all kinds of stains and grease from my boats upholstery, and about any thing else on the boat .
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SS-342 wrote:Your picture doesn't give me a clue as to what size the spots are. If it is very small spots it could be house fly crap. If your boat is covered, under a shelter, it would about have to be some type insect. What have you seen that flies and rest on your boat? Is it all over are just one side, like the side near the outside of the barn?

I need more clues! This is interesting. Let us know what you find out.
I don't see flies there but it is outside. It is always worse after a lot of wind. The stains start as a small roundish seed like thing that is the size of a small flake of pepper or grain of sand. I'd say 1mm x 1mmx1 mm. When they get wet they bleed out and form a spot maybe 2x2 mm. Next time the stains show up, I'll take a pic with a dime for perspective. I've considered adding that walls, but the bow of the boat gets it worse than the sides or stern. So I'll have to add a door. Jim, I tried the majic eraser and it worked, but I had to scrub each spot individually and there were thousands, so I needed something else. I'm not sure why , but the oxallic acid star Brite product, that worked great in the past, don't seem to work at all anymore. Thanks for the help gentlemen, I appreciate it

Here's a pic before it gets wet and stains, the dime got a little cut off. Should still give perspective
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I use a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water. Spray it on with a hand sprayer. Then wash and rinse. Gets most stains off. What it doesn't, I also use the Magic Eraser.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

What about a lightweight nylon boat cover. Cheaper than remodeling the boat shed. Should go on and off pretty easy.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton