Beavertail Micro 16 on order!

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Beavertail Micro 16 on order!

Post by silverking »

Will and Elizabeth Leslie, owners of Aeon Marine/Beavertail, have been an absolute delight to work with. I've been finalizing all the details for the new boat and it will be going into production this week. This is a true technical poling skiff for one or two anglers with a weight of 400 pounds and draft of 5 inches loaded. Power will be an Evinrude 30-hp E-TEC tiller model with a max speed of around 30 mph. I've added the latest push pole from Carbon Marine, the G3LR weighing in about 3.5 pounds, a MotorGuide Xi5 bow trolling motor (55 pound thrust with remote fob steering), Garmin echoMAP 44dv sonar/plotter combo and an Engel 35 Deep Blue cooler, which will double as the passenger seat.

I'll post photos of my boat as it is being built, but until then here are a couple other Micros with similar set-ups.
BT-Micro-Trailer1-690x460.jpg
photo-21-690x460.jpg
IMG_2680.jpeg
IMG_2681.jpeg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Beavertail Micro 16 on order!

Post by Harmsway »

I'd like to complement your boat, but first I have to wipe the drool off the floor.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Harmsway wrote:I'd like to complement your boat, but first I have to wipe the drool off the floor.

X2

Silverking, I'm sort of looking for a saltwater winter boat but we may be to old to stand on a fishing platform. Do they mount chairs on these boats. Looks like a very nice shallow water boat for younger folks.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

These boats have a 60-inch beam so good balance and careful maneuvering on board is necessary. The forward casting platform is an option. They do come with the cushioned helm bench seat and can also be ordered with a side console instead of the tiller steering. The grab bar/command pod will give me a place to hang on to for stand-up operation.

Haven't seen any with mounted seats. Guess you could install the removable bicycle lean seats like a bass boat. They do build some larger models with wider beams, though and more comfort considerations. The Micro is the specialty version for extreme shallow water poling.

Here's the web site if you'd like to check out the other models. I've been very impressed with their customer service and fit/finish. And their attention to detail really shines.

http://www.beavertailskiffs.com
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

:thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

So it'll run shallower than a Hobie, it's just about as stable as a paddleboard, and it can be towed with a Volkswagen. What's not to love?

And congrats on the sale of the Bayshore too; did you ever break the bbf post views record? :lol:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Much more stable than a paddle board but not quite an aircraft carrier like my previous boat.

And at 7,959 page views on the Bayshore as of this afternoon, I think my new record will be safe for a long time. :wink:
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Reading the specs and looking at the pics of that skiff reminded me of a tribute I heard a few years back at the Maverick Boat Owners Tourney in the Keys. Apparently there was a long time owner who made every tournament for years and years and who always fished Flamingo in one of their early technical skiffs... he had died weeks before the event so people were commenting on their favorite recollections and based on the comments the guy was someone who shopped in the "Portly" department if you catch my drift.

The guy speaking was sort of overcome with emotions and made a comment about not seeing "Bubba" coming back in this year from the long ride back across Florida Bay from Flamingo to Islamorada. One of the less emotional guys jumped right in and said "yeah, you could always tell it was Bubba coming in cause it looked like the Pillsbury Dough boy riding a flip-flop across Florida Bay" to which the crowd all agreed :-D

Apparently it was a sight to behold but hope your patience is rewarded with a nice flip-flop SK!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Heard from Beavertail last night that my skiff will be ready on December 16th.

Finalized details and all the accessories are already at the plant except the MotorGuide Xi5 trolling motor, which was supposed to ship this week.

Beavertail just delivered 10 skiffs for a lodge in Central America and were waiting on the Awlgrip for my top cap. So I should have photos of the parts being pulled from the molds next week.

21 days and counting. Can't wait.
bman

Post by bman »

zload wrote:yeah, you could always tell it was Bubba coming in cause it looked like the Pillsbury Dough boy riding a flip-flop across Florida Bay"
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Got my first batch of build photos from Beavertail. She's coming along nicely.

Both finishes in Awlgrip, hull in haze gray and the deck/cap will be real light gray. Projected completion next week. Can't wait. I've got the boat shed all cleaned and organized in preparation.
IMG_4111.JPG
IMG_4112.JPG
IMG_4113.JPG
IMG_4114.JPG
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

nice!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks CC. The boat is assembled and headed to finishing. Here are the latest pix.
IMG_4126.JPG
IMG_4127.JPG
IMG_4128.JPG
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Getting closer. The command pod will be finished today and they've already mounted the MotorGuide Xi5 trolling motor.
IMG_4174.JPG
IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4181.JPG
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Lookin good :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven