Carolina Skiff JVX18CC

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Willie

Carolina Skiff JVX18CC

Post by Willie »

Hi All - I'm hoping some of you boaters will have some advice on this boat. I'm looking for a good family bay boat to run around St. George. I'd like to have something that can handle the gulf side on a good weather day. Most of the time we'd be in the bay with the family fishing and playing around.

I live in Atlanta and found this for sale. The price is $16,500 for a 2011 model. It comes with a Yamaha F70LA four stroke. 50 hours on the engine and comes with a trailer. Does anyone have experience with Carolina Skiff's in the area?

Any comments and advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Willie
Fish Dawg

Re: Carolina Skiff JVX18CC

Post by Fish Dawg »

I have had 2 skiffs , DLV models, 198 and now a 238 with a 150 Yammy. I loved them both. The JVX is a flat bottom boat with low sides compared to the DLV with a semi-V hull and higher sides for a dry ride. You will get wet in a JVX .
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We have a 198DLV and love it. The boat you found may be a good close in boat for winter fishing. Close in meaning rivers, creeks and grass line on calm days.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

The JVX is not going to fit the demands you stated. It will be a rough ride in the bay on windy days. You can get a lot of boat in that price range.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I have a 17' skiff w/ 50hp Honda. The comment about the advantage of high sides is valid. Only thing I'm not crazy about: these are essentially flat bottomed boats, no matter how they dress them up. Handling is "different" than a v bottom. Example: I find getting on the trailer with cross current and wind to be a real challenge.
Willie

Post by Willie »

I really appreciate the advice everyone posted. I'll keep looking for a DLV model or another v-hull that will be better suited for the bay. It sounds like this model is better for the lakes here in GA.
two tooth

Post by two tooth »

Willie,

You should look at pictures of the jvx online. It is not a complete flat bottom boat like the traditional skiff. It has a modified v-hull. The biggest difference in the 18 jvx and the comparable size dlv (19 foot I belive) is the gunnells are about 6 inches shorter and the beam is about a foot more narrow. That said, they're built more for fishing than cruising and the dlv would likely be more comfortable for the family due to the wider beam.