Help!!! Which motor??!

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

blind9

Help!!! Which motor??!

Post by blind9 »

Guys, been thinking forever now I would repower with 4 stroke ( probably Yamaha). After some talking to Fred at Parkway about options, really been researching about the Evenrude Etech and really liked what I read. Anyone got any opinions that can help me decide? Right now with a 7 year warranty and every thing a 4 stroke has it seems like a no brainer......and about the same money.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Help!!! Which motor??!

Post by Salty Gator »

You probably can't go wrong with either. But I wouldn't trade my 4 stroke yammy for anything
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I might be mistaken, but isn't the E-Tec a 2 stroke engine?
blind9

Post by blind9 »

Yea UGAdog it is and is one reason I'm asking for help. Been totally against going back with 2 stroke but have heard and read some really awesome things about these new Evenrude that are hard to ignore. The Yammy's are solid too!!! I'm like a kid in the candy store with only one choice I can make and so much to choose from!! :lick:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I know a couple of guys w etechs and they are happy with them. I doubt you will hear anything bad about either of them
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have been running Evinrude E-TECs on my personal boats now for 10+ years. I also test boats for a living so I am regularly on models with four-strokes. Yamaha, Mercury and Suzuki are the dominate players in the four-stroke market, with Honda and Tohatsu having a presence as well.

The four-stroke technology is constantly changing. The most significant improvements are lighter weight (better power to weight ratio) and improved torque (hole shot). Very dependable, quiet and excellent fuel economy.

The E-TECS are fuel-injected two-strokes (as are the Mercury Optimax). Lighter than comparable four-strokes, outstanding torque and mid-range performance. Fuel economy is very close to four-strokes, as is engine noise. The E-TECs sip the oil. Very dependable and totally a different ownership group than the old OMC. Bombardier makes all Evinrudes now and they also build Seadoo jet skis, Skidoo snow mobiles, high speed locomotive engines, corporate jets and other high-end industrial products.

You really can't go wrong with either. But if you're like me, where weight and an inch or two of draft is important, the Evinrude E-TECs are hard to beat. The current 7-year warranty program is another strong selling point as well.
Last edited by silverking on January 29th, 2016, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Which make and model of boat are you looking to re-power?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
blind9

Post by blind9 »

Thanks Silver. Lots of good points on each. I guess the big decider for me is dependability. In they can stand behind their product for 7 years, and I realize there will be limits on that, that is a huge statement in its self.
blind9

Post by blind9 »

Silver I have an 18 1/2 center console made by Off Shore power boats ( I believe out of business now). Was looking at going with 115 hp.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

If it has a deeper V-hull, draft may not be as big an issue. Or it may be if you want to get shallower on the flats.

I had a small block 200 on my custom flats boat and it was nearly 85 pounds lighter than the same horsepower four-stroke. That made a world of difference in terms of draft. The 115-hp E-TEC is one of the strongest and most dependable in the Evinrude line-up. I now have a 30-hp E-TEC in the 20-inch shaft on the new super-light skiff and it's been great so far. Just got a new stainless prop for it and can't wait to try it out.

Again, you can't really go wrong with the dependability of today's outboards. Both technologies have their pluses and minuses, so it comes down to how you use the boat and personal preferences.
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

I have a 115 HP ETEC on my 18 ft cc I love it...Have had ) issues since day one!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :smt023 :smt023
blind9

Post by blind9 »

Thanks guys. Yes I fish flats a lot so draft is one of the things Fred brought up about the weight of the Etec. My boat is actually rated up to 150 hp. Have an older 125 Mercury on it now. Never has been the best of running engines ( carborators) so I feel like the 115 hp will be enough. Any opinions?
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I'd go with the etec, get the115 ho. I don't think the Yamaha is worth the extra money. Half as many moving parts and a 7 yr warranty would do it for me.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I'm a firm believer in maximizing horsepower. It's always better to have more and not use it than constantly have to push an engine to its top-end limits to achieve acceptable performance. Less wear and longer life generally.

If the boat is rated for 150 and you can afford it, I'd go that route. You'll notice a big difference between a carb engine vs. a direct-injection. But if the 150 is beyond budget, the HO would be a good compromise.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

If I was to buy a motor in that power range right now it would be the Mercury FourStrokes, lots of power and they seem very easy to maintain. They are getting really good reviews.