St Marks 19 March 16

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

St Marks 19 March 16

Post by spothogg »

Woke up to rain early Saturday morning. Would have been tempting to sleep in but had company from out of town and had promised a day on the water. When we arrived at the fort, there was not one rig with trailer in the lot. I wondered if that was a bad sign. Glad we stuck it out. Great bite that day with some nice reds and black drum at East River. And, the weather later cleared and warmed to a beautiful day.
Attachments
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_4234.JPG
Last edited by spothogg on March 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bman

Re: St Marks 19 March 16

Post by bman »

Sweet- the spring bite has started!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

spothogg wrote:Woke up to rain early Saturday morning. Would have been tempting to sleep in but had company from out of town and had promised a day on the water. Glad we stuck it out. When we arrived at the fort, there was not one rig with trailer in the lot. I wondered if that was a bad sign. Glad we stuck it out. Great bite that day with some nice reds and black drum at East River. And, the weather later cleared and warmed to a beautiful day.
thanks for the report. Do u care to share what bait did u use to catch them?
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Ttt wrote:
spothogg wrote:Woke up to rain early Saturday morning. Would have been tempting to sleep in but had company from out of town and had promised a day on the water. Glad we stuck it out. When we arrived at the fort, there was not one rig with trailer in the lot. I wondered if that was a bad sign. Glad we stuck it out. Great bite that day with some nice reds and black drum at East River. And, the weather later cleared and warmed to a beautiful day.
All the ones we landed were caught with live shrimp, fished off the bottom on Carolina rigs. I caught a nice one a Mambo Mullet, but lost him. What a disappointment! If anchored up, I usually fish shrimp off the bottom and let it sit in rod holder while fishing an artificial.
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

spothogg wrote:
Ttt wrote:
All the ones we landed were caught with live shrimp, fished off the bottom on Carolina rigs. I caught a nice one a Mambo Mullet, but lost him. What a disappointment! If anchored up, I usually fish shrimp off the bottom and let it sit in rod holder while fishing an artificial.
Thanks a lot! The last red fish that I caught was last October. Wish me luck tomorrow!!!!!!
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

Ttt wrote:
spothogg wrote:
Ttt wrote:
Thanks a lot! The last red fish that I caught was last October. Wish me luck tomorrow and any advises would appreciated.
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Ttt wrote:
Ttt wrote:
spothogg wrote:
Ttt wrote:
Thanks a lot! The last red fish that I caught was last October. Wish me luck tomorrow and any advises would appreciated.
Good luck! Redfish are plentiful and there really aren't "secret spots". Pick an area and focus on getting to know it well and it will pay off. I tend to return to areas not because I think they hold more fish, but because I know the area well and have an idea of where there will be fish. Scouting at low tide will give you a better idea of structure in the area.
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

Got on the water at 12 to 530 and I manage to catch 2 catfish only. I was using live shrimp and a cut mullet. I am starting to get discourage with this hobbie . If anyone know the area well and would like to fish with me please pm.
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

Spothogg thanks for the advice.
Bigdog
Site Sponsor

Post by Bigdog »

Ttt take a few trips with a guide this help alot.
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

A couple of other things that might help would be to get out early or later in the day. Also check the feed times and the tides. I never catch anything on a slack tide and early in the morning and later in the evening produce much better for me usually. If you want to catch a red anchor up by an oyster bar and look for a place where the water is flowing, possibly between cuts in bar. Then soak a shrimp.

Good Luck and tight lines
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

luckywsp wrote:A couple of other things that might help would be to get out early or later in the day. Also check the feed times and the tides. I never catch anything on a slack tide and early in the morning and later in the evening produce much better for me usually. If you want to catch a red anchor up by an oyster bar and look for a place where the water is flowing, possibly between cuts in bar. Then soak a shrimp.

Good Luck and tight lines
Thanks for the advice but I guess I have to learn and understand what to look for in the area. Yes I try to fish in the incoming tide and outgoing too. Thanks to all who are willing to help.Great forum with great people.