Ecofina Report

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

baylitter

Ecofina Report

Post by baylitter »

Put in about 7:30 am on the low tide,managed to get out of the river with all the pieces of my boat connected. Water was flat as concrete so decided to pitch top water around the bars for reds. Managed one hook up and a few bites but nothing to show for it. Moved to the flats and the going was Tuff. No breeze to be found and not much water moving , had to troll several times just to cover ground drifting. Ended the day with 9 trout 15 to 19, most on new penny / chartreuse, little deeper in 5 to 7,more shorts than usual, 1 flounder and couple sea bass so can't complain. On a side note had a C130 over us for about 2 hrs and smoke and flares on the horizon, never heard a mayday or any traffic for that matter. Anyone have any idea what was going on?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Ecofina Report

Post by Dubble Trubble »

baylitter wrote:Put in about 7:30 am on the low tide,managed to get out of the river with all the pieces of my boat connected. Water was flat as concrete so decided to pitch top water around the bars for reds. Managed one hook up and a few bites but nothing to show for it. Moved to the flats and the going was Tuff. No breeze to be found and not much water moving , had to troll several times just to cover ground drifting. Ended the day with 9 trout 15 to 19, most on new penny / chartreuse, little deeper in 5 to 7,more shorts than usual, 1 flounder and couple sea bass so can't complain. On a side note had a C130 over us for about 2 hrs and smoke and flares on the horizon, never heard a mayday or any traffic for that matter. Anyone have any idea what was going on?

Good day on the water!!

On the C 130 thing. One of two things:

1: We were there about a month ago and there were two choppers that did the smoke thing and would go and hover low on the water, They did this most of the afternoon we were there.

2: There ARE two bodies out there somewhere from two different incidents in the last week. I don't think they have found either one yet.

Dubble :thumbup:

Links:
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Florida ... 64231.html

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Coast-G ... 86661.html
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
cast-n-stone
Site Sponsor

Post by cast-n-stone »

Headin that way shortly, hope to have as good a day as you! Will report findings.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Sounds like a good day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

baylitter wrote:On a side note had a C130 over us for about 2 hrs and smoke and flares on the horizon, never heard a mayday or any traffic for that matter. Anyone have any idea what was going on?
Sure it was a C-130? There could be multiple aircraft conducting searches, but I had a P-3 Orion fly over twice yesterday and the second time it banked and headed off in the direction of Keaton.

Same engines, but the P-3 is distinguishable by the pointy prong extending below the tail section.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We saw and heard the choppers and heard the aircraft. We were a few miles south of Rock Island and the choppers flew over us toward land. In an hour or so they came back, went out to the same place and competed with the airboat inshore with their noise making. :D

Don't know which is worse!

We had two FWC airboat petrols ahead of us headed towards Keaton but they were not in the parking lot when we arrived. Those boys are equipped to handle whatever comes alone.
As many insects as there are now close inshore, I'd hate to go where they might have gone.

Good report baylitter. Keep um coming!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

silverking wrote:
baylitter wrote:On a side note had a C130 over us for about 2 hrs and smoke and flares on the horizon, never heard a mayday or any traffic for that matter. Anyone have any idea what was going on?
Sure it was a C-130? There could be multiple aircraft conducting searches, but I had a P-3 Orion fly over twice yesterday and the second time it banked and headed off in the direction of Keaton.

Same engines, but the P-3 is distinguishable by the pointy prong extending below the tail section.
Are there Russian or North Korean subs hanging around Econfina again?
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

zload wrote:
silverking wrote:

Are there Russian or North Korean subs hanging around Econfina again?
Could be. Those sneaky commies are probably poaching reds and trout. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

"Are there Russian or North Korean subs hanging around Econfina again?"

I doubt the Econfina but you can bet they are somewhere off our coast. We are off theirs!

I heard stories of WW11 German subs sank off our coast and Miami movie ticket stubs were found in what came up.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
baylitter

Post by baylitter »

I should have said a really big plane rather than c-130 like I knew what I was talking about when I don't :D It was a big plane with 4 motors that looked to be military. Very very low!! Not sure if any espionage was taking place but did circle twice when I pulled out my new gulp colors.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Maybe they just running drills. We say them Thursday from st. Marks. We had 7 keeper trout. Most pretty nice. 17/19 inches. We beginners but hopefully gettin better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Air Force C-130 Hercules has much longer wingspan, bigger tail, and shorter length than Navy P-3 Orion. That tail extension on the P-3 is all avionics (electronics) equipment. P-3 is a bit faster, but the Hercs are more versatile, being employed for 5 decades as gunships, cargo mules, troop transport, and weather recon. Not that I'm biased or anything.

Gary
US Air Force Academy, Class of 1983
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Navy P-3 Orions are a four-engine turbo prop multi-use platform that provide advanced warning of submarine patrols and threats to the surface fleet. They are also used to track storms as hurricane hunters or in search and rescue missions, flying crews of 7 to 30. They can fly low and slow to stay on station for hours, often feathering a couple engines. The majority of P-3s are used in anti-submarine warfare squadrons, although modified versions are also integral for recon duty.

Fly Navy! :wink:

SK
USN, 1980-1988
VQ-2 and Naval Aircrew Candidate School Drill Instructor, 1,200+ hours in P-3s.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

One of the reasons I love fishing that area!!!

We've had F22's, 35's, A10s, 18's, P-3's, 18's, various whirleybirds, etc...

My favourite was definitely the A-10's we've had overhead.. they banked and lapped us a few times, making low passes... reminded me of when I lived in South Mississippi and being out on the field late afternoons for baseball practice and having the A-10's fly overhead... man I did a lot of bearcrawls for not paying attention to practice :lol: :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I heard a helo coming at my house on Wednesday and it sounded like a Chinook. Maybe not quite as whump whump whump, but close-did not sound like the typical Life Flight helo. Turned to see what it was and it was not a helo, it was a V-22 Osprey. First I have ever seen in flight in person. Flew right over my house and fairly low. I had a phone in my pocket and was so surprised I did not even video it.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?