Please Read And Help Out If You Can

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I sent the below short email to Governor Scott this evening. I'm hoping others will contact his office as well. Our Chairman of our BOCC advised he will propose a referendum at tomorrow night's BOCC meeting seeking assistance with this request. Furthermore, a couple of other folks in the political scene at the State level said they will reach out as well. However, I believe it will be better received if the Governor's Office hears from the folks impacted directly, so if you are so inclined and support this proposal, please feel free to reach out to the Governor's Office.

Good Evening Governor Scott, et al:
Due to the impending Tropical Storm Colin, a vast amount of the Gulf Coast of Florida will be negatively impacted. More specifically, the 9 day Federal Gulf Red Snapper Season will be impacted for at least 3 days, which will prohibit thousands of Florida residents, business owners, tourists, etc from realizing the benefits of having the full 9 day season. In turn, I would like to respectfully request that you contact NOAA and the other federal officials responsible for determining the federal fishing season and ask them to extend the Federal Gulf Red Snapper season 3 days to account for the missed opportunities caused by the impacts of Tropical Storm Colin. Therefore, if approved, the Federal Gulf Red Snapper season would be extended until midnight on Sunday June 12th.
Please do not hesitate to contact me via email or my cell phone, should you or your staff have any comments, questions, or concerns, pertaining to this request.
In advance, thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
Respectfully,
Chris Russell
Wakulla County

I can tell you this, the Snapper Season has been a boom for our economy here in Wakulla County and hopefully it won't be cut short by a third due to a Tropical Storm.
Here's a photo of our catch from Friday. We also had a pretty good day Thursday. We tried it today but had to turn around due to the weather...
Attachments
Snapper.jpg
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Re: Please Read And Help Out If You Can

Post by roadtrip »

Haha , I like your style but your trying to reason with folks that set the nine day season to begin with. This storm is doesn't effect their thinking one bit in fact they probably like the fact less fish will be caught. I'll give it a try with you though!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

While you are at it, ask him to have them abolish the IRS. That would probably be easier to get through! :lol:

I applaud your effort though.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bman

Post by bman »

BRAVO!!!

I'll make it easy on you guys..

Here is the contact link - http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott/ ... -governor/
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

There's no doubt that I'm an eternal optimist and suspect this may not happen, but IMHO it never hurts to try.

Thanks BMAN for the link folks can use. Feel free to contact your local State reps as well. My State Rep, Representative Beshears (who is one heckuva a fine fella) has advised me that he will reach out to Gov. Scott's Office.

We may not be able to get the season extended for this week, but we may be able to gain those 3 days back later on this year.

For our friends up in Georgia, etc a call down to the Governor's Office indicating that you all would come on down this weekend to fish for snapper if the season is extended would be helpful.

Here's the bottom line, here in Wakulla County we rely heavily on the fishing industry and having another weekend of Snapper Season in Florida would help us out tremendously. As a disclaimer, I have no economic interest/benefit from the season being prolonged, (recreationally, yes as I love to fish) other than seeing folks in my County and the other small counties on the coastline benefit from this coming to fruition.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Wish you could find an elected official who actually would pressure their own appointees to vote for the family fisherman over restaurants. They won't, even though they talk otherwise. Any personal red snapper harvest, even 9 days or less, is far less important than year round on the menu for tourists.
No harm in trying but don't expect much. Ask Rep. Beshears if he is willing to support cancelling the commercial season or the special commercial guide boat extended season so the rest of us 20 million folks get a couple of months to fish for ourselves instead.

If not, we get nine days, tropical storm doesn't matter.

That's the choice.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Who is setting this season, the state or the feds? Red snapper can be caught in state waters, but the bulk of them are further out.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

How about that!
image.png

TEAM "Duck Season!"
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I was wrong! You helped! Thanks a lot to scoop!
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice, now let's all hold our breath and wait for the reply. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bman

Post by bman »

SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
(Gulf of Mexico)

FB16-040

Sustainable Fisheries
727-824-5305

June 8, 2016

NOAA Fisheries Extends the Private Angler's Red Snapper Recreational Fishing Season for 2 days in the Gulf of Mexico

NOAA Fisheries is extending the red snapper recreational fishing season for private anglers in the Gulf of Mexico due to impacts of Tropical Storm Colin. The private angler component's federal-water fishing season was scheduled to close at 12:01 a.m. (local time) Friday June 10, 2016. NOAA Fisheries is extending the federal season for two additional days; the private angler red snapper federal season will close at 12:01 a.m. (local time) Sunday, June 12, 2016. This extension is in response to requests the agency received from concerned anglers.

PLEASE NOTE: This extension applies only to Gulf of Mexico federal waters (seaward of 9 nautical miles). Regulations in state waters vary among states. Please refer to state regulations when fishing in state waters.

TEAM "Duck Season!"
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Some of my buddies knocked me pretty hard for trying to get the Snapper season extended, but like I told them, I wouldn't have ever had the chance to marry my wife if I hand't ever asked her on the first date.

We had some fine folks helping us out on this issue. First of all, Governor Scott did an outstanding job working on this and he actually asked for the full 3 days I outlined in my letter to him, asked for 3, got 2 and by-gumby that's great. . State Rep. Beshears helped out, our local Wakulla County BOCC got on board, as well as our local Chamber. Had some folks get with Congresswoman Graham's office and she helped out from her end.

In a nutshell, it was a common sense move and I'm glad the Feds got on board.

Now the question is this: who all is fishing Friday or Saturday for Snapper?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Scoop Sea wrote:Some of my buddies knocked me pretty hard for trying to get the Snapper season extended, but like I told them, I wouldn't have ever had the chance to marry my wife if I hand't ever asked her on the first date.

We had some fine folks helping us out on this issue. First of all, Governor Scott did an outstanding job working on this and he actually asked for the full 3 days I outlined in my letter to him, asked for 3, got 2 and by-gumby that's great. . State Rep. Beshears helped out, our local Wakulla County BOCC got on board, as well as our local Chamber. Had some folks get with Congresswoman Graham's office and she helped out from her end.

In a nutshell, it was a common sense move and I'm glad the Feds got on board.

Now the question is this: who all is fishing Friday or Saturday for Snapper?
Kudos! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

Way to go Scoop! I'll be out there!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Exhale. Nice work scoop. You never know :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven