Concealed carry question

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Concealed carry question

Post by Redbelly »

So, if you get pulled over or are in a traffic stop for license checks, is it a law to tell the officer you are carrying? Do you have to show your permit?

Are you legal if you choose not to reveal this to him?

Ga/Fla regulations/laws?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
fishfalcon

Re: Concealed carry question

Post by fishfalcon »

I have always shown both licenses when going through checkpoints because I thought that was what you are supposed to do. The first officer asked me why I showed him my carry license. The second said that in Georgia your car is an extension of your home and you do not have to show it. I still plan to show both if pulled over and then do exactly what the officer tells me to do after that.
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

I would let the officer know I have a weapon, where it is and I am licensed law or not. I try to head trouble/issues/situations off before they get to me.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

FL & GA are both known as "on demand" states, you are not required to advise a LEO that you are carrying or that there is a firearm in the vehicle and I understand that a CWP does not flag on your DL or vehicle tag in FL, don't know about that in GA. You are required to answer if asked by a LEO in both states, other states such as SC and NC require that you notify the officer immediately on "official contact".

A good resource for CWP holders and other gun owners is the Travels Guide for Firearms Law, you can download a PDF copy for about $15 at http://www.gunlawguide.com it is updated annually. Even with that you are still required to know and obey the law where you are at, I don't think the Clinton "Intent" rule will apply to us common folks.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Hunt Nasty

Post by Hunt Nasty »

You can legally carry a gun in your car without a carry permit in Georgia. No, you do not have to tell the LEO you have a weapon but it would probably be a good idea to.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgia ... questions/
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

There is no obligation for you to show your permit, or notify the officer that you have any weapons. If he asks, then by all means inform him of the location and condition, then ask how he would like to proceed.

I don't see how volunteering that information makes anyone safer. You know you aren't going to shoot the cop, he probably already assumes that you might, so confirming your capacity to do so only puts him on higher alert. Not to mention that should he decide to disarm you, you are at risk of being shot with your own gun via negligent discharge as a result of the cop drawing an unfamiliar weapon from an unfamiliar holster in an already awkward physical environment. Sure, that may be a bit far fetched, but if your gun stays in the holster, concealed, there is no chance it could happen.
850-273-8818
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

I've asked two TPD offices this questions - both said no need to show permit - and rather not know unless asked specifically - said if you're just getting pulled for speeding - he wants to get on with it and move on.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

zload wrote:FL & GA are both known as "on demand" states, you are not required to advise a LEO that you are carrying or that there is a firearm in the vehicle and I understand that a CWP does not flag on your DL or vehicle tag in FL, don't know about that in GA. You are required to answer if asked by a LEO in both states, other states such as SC and NC require that you notify the officer immediately on "official contact".

A good resource for CWP holders and other gun owners is the Travels Guide for Firearms Law, you can download a PDF copy for about $15 at http://www.gunlawguide.com it is updated annually. Even with that you are still required to know and obey the law where you are at, I don't think the Clinton "Intent" rule will apply to us common folks.
Great answer. The law in most states is that a weapon in your glove box or console does not require a permit. Now Illinois, Maryland, New York, New Jersey and DC have some crazy laws regarding this. I don't leave my weapon visible. Myself, I rely upon the 2nd Amendment and the old adage that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

My experience is telling them you have a CC license and are carrying makes them more relaxed.
They know you passed a background check and are not hiding anything.
It has nearly been a "get out of jail free" card for me - I've not received a ticket since showing my CC at a traffic stop.

I leave my hands on the wheel, roll the window down and tell them I have a CCP and a weapon in the vehicle.
I ask them if they want to see either. I've been stopped a few times and have never had an officer ask for my firearm.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I am from Arkansas and there you are required to tell the officer and show your license. I had one give me crap for telling him and not having my license. Fl and GA officers have been very nice about it and just say ok keep the weapon where it is and then ask where it is. Most officers are cool about I was late for a hunting trip once and got stopped doing 85 in a 55 good thing he wasn't on the other side of that hill. Told him we where going hunting and had a lot of weapons besides my many concealed weapons. His response was as long as you don't start shooting at me we are going to be alright. I couldn't help it without missing a beat I said buddy if I start shooting at you I'm still gonna be alright. Luckily he laughed and went to right my ticket. Most cops are just guys like us with families. I support all LEO. Guess I got off track there.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I use common sense. If it is in the glove box or lockbox, I say nothing. If I have it on my hip (mostly), then I will tell him it is there before I reach for my wallet, and ask him what he wants my next move to be, since I will be going right by my holstered gun to get my wallet in my RH hip pocket.

LOL, the BEST way to not have to deal with it is not to invite the man into your life at all by speeding. :lol:

If it is a license check, I already have my driver's license in hand when I roll the window down.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE LAW IS NOW BUT BACK WHEN I WAS ON THE ROAD , ABOUT 20 OUT OF EVERY 24 HOURS, IT WAS THE LAW IN ALL THE STATES I TRAVELED IN, THAT A WEAPON IN THE GLOVE BOX WAS CONSIDERED TO BE A CONSEALED WEAPON AND YA HAD TO HAVE A CONSEALED PERMIT. IF THE WEAPON WAS VISIBLE IN THE CAB, ON THE DASH, HANGING FROM THE ROOF OF THE CAB IN A HOLSTER , WE DID NOT HAVE TO HAVE A CONSEALED PERMIT. I ALWAYS CARRIED A LEG HOLSTER AND A WEAPON HANGING IN A HOLSTER FROM THE ROOF EVERYWHERE I WAS DELIVERING CARS TO DEALERS. HAD TO USE MY LEG HOLSTERED GUN 1 TIME WHEN A COUPLE OF YOUNG BLACKS TRIED TO STEAL A CAR I HAD JUST UNLOADED. I HELD THOSE BOYS AT GUN POINT AND STARTED MY HORN BLOWING AND IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 5 MIN. BEFORE LAW ENFORCEMENT CAME. THINGS CHANGE, SINCE I RETIRED I BOUGHT MY CONSEAL PERMIT AND CARRY MY 357 IN A HOLSTER ON THE SIDE OF THE DRIVER SIDE SEAT.

PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO