Best spinning Reel for +-$120

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Post by bbb »

Christmas gift for somebody.

Looks like my go to Stradic's are out of this price range.

This would be for trout and reds.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Best spinning Reel for +-$120

Post by Steve Stinson »

For that price, I like the Shimano Symetre. I have about 4 of them that are still working fine after several years.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

bbb wrote:Christmas gift for somebody.

Looks like my go to Stradic's are out of this price range.

This would be for trout and reds.
#1 Penn Battle II
#2 Okuma RTX (or BTX if you can find them)
#3 Pflueger President/President XT
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Steve is right, the Symetre would be a good choice. You might be able to find some on the web or local, but that line of reels has been phased out. The replacement model is the NASCI and they retail for $110.

The Shimano Saros is another good choice for a solid trout/reds reel, although they list a little above your budget at $150.

I'd recommend checking with Linn at Kevin's to see what they have in stock.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
cotton

Post by cotton »

Steve Stinson wrote:For that price, I like the Shimano Symetre. I have about 4 of them that are still working fine after several years.
Steve, I don't know if they have changed this reel. But I and many others I know have had lots of trouble with this reel.

I love all Shimano with the exception of the Symetre. I have 2 of them.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

silverking wrote:Steve is right, the Symetre would be a good choice. You might be able to find some on the web or local, but that line of reels has been phased out. The replacement model is the NASCI and they retail for $110.
Sounds like the Shimano engineers have realized what you've experienced.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

cotton wrote:
Steve Stinson wrote:For that price, I like the Shimano Symetre. I have about 4 of them that are still working fine after several years.
Steve, I don't know if they have changed this reel. But I and many others I know have had lots of trouble with this reel.

I love all Shimano with the exception of the Symetre. I have 2 of them.

I have to agree with Steve, I love the Symetre. Have used and mine have been trouble free.
Lately I have been looking at the Okuma Helios. Trying to decide between the HX30 or the HX40...

I also looked at the Shimano Nasci the other day, I must admit it seemed very smooth.

Good luck !
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I got my Shimano Stradic 4000 FK for $140 new in box. My buddy grabbed a Quantum Smoke PTs casting reel also for $140 NIB. The Smoke and the Stradic both retail for around $210ish at a big box store, point being the abundance of deals online. The Quantum Smoke PTs spinning reel is sweet too. Again, if you can find a deal online I'd take those 2.

I like the Penn SSV over the Battle II, the 3500-4500 SSV is an awesome value, though not as lightweight as the Shimanos in similar size. The SSVs have much better drag and water resistance, I've seen a Battle II destroyed (mostly from neglect) in less than 2 months from the salt. I believe the 4500SSV geartrain can be upgraded to the 4000 Clash geartrain as well. SSVs are all over online stores and should be well within your budget.

As far as Pfleuger is concerned, I've never them in high regard quality wise. But I do have a little Pfleuger Trion that I grabbed from a buddy who was moving for $30. I've caught more and bigger fish from that reel than my $300+ Stradic rig, and I'll keep using it till it implodes. All I do is spray some PB Blaster into it after I hose it down. Never gets old catching big fish with a $30 rig.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Smoke's been a good reel - I have 2 and will never buy another Stradic due to them not holding up like the old white ones used too, My newer gold Stradic sounds horrible and the rubber grip on the handle has started to leak glue or something - and is permanently sticky. AS other said, you can usually pick up the Smoke for 140ish online
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Speaking from a reel repair point of view, this is what I am seeing:

The newer Symetre FL has a bushing on the right side plate holding the drive gear (the left side still has a bearing), instead of a bearing on the older FI and FJ models. The pinion gear now has a bearing in the base that the FI and FJ models do not. The bushing can be replaced by a bearing, making it a more durable reel.
NOTE: All Shimano reels with a bearing in the line roller seem to have corrosion issues. They need to be rinsed, dried and oiled after EACH use.

I am seeing good performance and durability from the Battle II reels. I am not a big fan of Penn spinning reels for my personal use, but they are holding up well in spite of being Chinese made.

I have seen some troubling corrosion issues from Okuma. Small and seemingly insignificant parts that should be made of brass, stainless or aluminum, are made of low carbon steel and will rust or disintegrate, causing the reel to malfunction.

I have seen and heard of mixed results with the early Quantum Smoke series. Some folks report that there is a tendency for them to have a sticking issue when using for top water lures(stop and go retrieve).
I don't know of any issues with the current model.

I hope this helps you make a decision...any questions feel free to call or message me. 850-445-4889
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

fishinfool wrote:I am seeing good performance and durability from the Battle II reels. I am not a big fan of Penn spinning reels for my personal use, but they are holding up well in spite of being Chinese made.

I have seen some troubling corrosion issues from Okuma. Small and seemingly insignificant parts that should be made of brass, stainless or aluminum, are made of low carbon steel and will rust or disintegrate, causing the reel to malfunction.
Since I think reels are more vulnerable when fishing saltwater from a kayak I won't spend more than $100 for a reel.

Generally I'll put more $$ into a rod and less $$ into a reel.

I've been inshore saltwater kayak angling with an Okuma Epixor for 3 years - with absolutely no problems. Have done likewise with a Penn Battle. Recently I added a Penn Battle II and an Okuma BTX to the arsenal.

One "$100 or less" reel I fished that turned out to be "junk", despite caring for it the same as my other reels, was a Wright & McGill Sabalos.

In my opinion (regardless of brand or price) the owner's reel care, cleaning and maintenance has everything to do with the reel's performance and longevity. Too often reel failure is unfairly blamed on the manufacturer.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Had fished cabela's salt strikers for years with good durability, but my last two malfunctioned within months of purchase. I bought the Okuma Helios to replace them and have been very pleased so far. Much more drag. Had an old penn that did not tolerate surf fishing well, but I took a long look at the Battle 2 before buying the helios. Bottom line, surf and kayak fishing in saltwater is tough on your gear and warrants a freshwater washdown, drying, and oil/grease job after every trip if you want your tackle to hold up. Eventually, the salt will win.
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

I have two Penn Battles. One sounds like a grain mill and the other is smooth. I also have a Penn Conflict ($129.99 ) that I am really impressed with. I have had it for 3 years now and not a single problem. I must agree with others though. The NASCI looks and feels nice but, its too new to know how they will hold up.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MIAcanes44 wrote:I have two Penn Battles. One sounds like a grain mill and the other is smooth. I also have a Penn Conflict ($129.99 ) that I am really impressed with. I have had it for 3 years now and not a single problem. I must agree with others though. The NASCI looks and feels nice but, its too new to know how they will hold up.
I've heard penn battle are junk. Know 3 people with similar experience
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Bass Pro Shops
Site Sponsor

Post by Bass Pro Shops »

Go with the Shimano Nasci, my partner on my fishing team bought one about six months ago and you will not find a better reel for that price range. we have that reel for $99.99 every day here at Bass Pro Shops.