St. Marks 12/17

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

xXLoneBowmanXx

St. Marks 12/17

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Got out on the water at low tide on Saturday afternoon. Ran out to the mouth of the river looking for some inshore dinner. Winds were kicking pretty good and we couldn't get the junk anchor to grab onto anything. So, we went to Shields and picked up a better anchor and ran back out. Finally got it to hold between the channel and some oyster bars in about 10 feet of water. Trout bite was absolutely on fire. We caught close to a hundred trout between the 3 of us, but only one of them was big enough to keep. There were other boats in the same area and it looked like they were catching tons of shorts as well. After weeding through the trout frenzy we were finally able to lock onto a decent sheepshead. As far as quantities go it was a good day. And my 5 year old had a blast catching the small trout.

NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 12/17

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Fun outing! When they're biting like that, size doesn't always matter. That sheepshead really is dark. Nice one, though. How was the water clarity with the recent rains? Also, did you get a water temp reading?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Water seemed a little murky, but it was overcast most of the time we were out there, so it was hard to tell. Temp seemed to average around 64 degrees (assuming my bottom finder was giving accurate measures. It seems to be on its last leg).
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Good job, Dad! That is one nice sheepie. His trout might have been too small, but it looks big next to him! I bet that little man is hooked now.
Yours in the South
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Good report. Sounds like y'all had a blast.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

That's a good report-and you got a "first mate" that will be outfishing you before long! That had to be the 1 keeper!
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

FTReelty wrote:That's a good report-and you got a "first mate" that will be outfishing you before long! That had to be the 1 keeper!

He's a good fishing partner, but he hogs all the snacks. We are going to have to work on that part of our partnership.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

DixieReb wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: Good job, Dad! That is one nice sheepie. His trout might have been too small, but it looks big next to him! I bet that little man is hooked now.
Thanks, DixieReb! That trout was aboout 12 inches, but standing next to the little man it looks like a keeper, lol...
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:
FTReelty wrote:That's a good report-and you got a "first mate" that will be outfishing you before long! That had to be the 1 keeper!

He's a good fishing partner, but he hogs all the snacks. We are going to have to work on that part of our partnership.
Based on my experience taking youngin's, I suggest you buy a larger supply of snacks! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Love the report, certainly love the kid and sheepshead; must be the reason for the season.
Merry Christmas to us all.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Way to go, I know he was excited, glad y'all caught a lot, I know it helps when ya take the kiddos, they get boring real easy, I know mine do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

kenfly wrote:Way to go, I know he was excited, glad y'all caught a lot, I know it helps when ya take the kiddos, they get boring real easy, I know mine do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, he gets bored out there, but for the most part he's pretty good. Usually he will fish for a while and then play around on the boat, then go back to fishing. In the summer time he does a heck of a job catching live pinfish for the offshore runs.