Yamaha Trim Issues

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bpac
Site Sponsor

Yamaha Trim Issues

Post by bpac »

I went to get the boat going last night in anticipation for this weekend. The motor will not trim up or down. It makes an audible clicking sound.

I was hoping it was just drained batteries, but charged them overnight and the issue has not resolved.

My next thought is that it is the relay switch???

Any suggestions?
kom06

Re: Yamaha Trim Issues

Post by kom06 »

Sympathetic because this happened to me last week as I was prepping the boat to fish. I have a 2 Stroke 70 Yamaha. Try these two things before you start replacing parts because this fixed the problem for me (it hasn't reoccurred yet, albeit it probably is just a short term fix for a larger problem). First. Sometimes on older systems air gets in them causing this problem. Use the manual release screw. Should be on the left or right side depending on motor (see picture link below). It should only take a slight turn with a heavy duty screw driver and you will see your motor fall if it is trimmed up (be careful not to release too fast). If it is trimmed down already you will be able to pick it up (depending on motor size). Manually lift the motor up and down one or two times then retighten the screw. If the screw is to tight to turn using an impact with the proper size head should work (Be Careful not to strip the screw head). The second thing and easiest thing I did after step 1 is checking the connection between the motor trim switch and the wiring under the cowl. Make sure this is clean and plugged in tight (Checking this first may work). Then try using your electric trim again. Repeat this a couple times.
There are quite a few write up on this. Here's one I read. http://forums.floridasportsman.com/show ... icks/page2

https://goo.gl/images/SmK3j3
kom06

Post by kom06 »

Any luck?
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I have a 75 Yamaha four stroke and have gone full circle. This is in order over a three or four year period. One trip after it sat for several months it just clicked both ways.1. For a while I could tap on the motor like a starter (electric motor) and it would work and do fine after corrosion was broken loose. 2. After I priced the motor , a little less than $600, I ordered brushes for around 30 and they solved the problem for quite a while. Then started again but would go one direction. Switched wires and it would go the other direction. Half the relay went out. Got a relay switch, around $225, put in on. Problem solved. Worked great for a while, then nothing. Took motor off and full of corrosion. Went to boats.com out of Albany, had a motor in one day, Installed it and good to go. It would be odd for both sides of the relay to quit at once. I'm no mechanic but poor enough to have to do this stuff myself. Good luck!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!