Kayaks and Gators

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Kayaks and Gators

Post by Redbelly »

Has anyone ever had a Gator get aggressive with you while fishing from a kayak or canoe?
I was told by a fella that he would not fish from his kayak in Carr Lake because of big gators.
I want to fish there out of a kayak. :o
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Kayaks and Gators

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I have never had an issue and I have seen hundreds over the years. Although I try and be mindful when they are on the nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Redbelly wrote:Has anyone ever had a Gator get aggressive with you while fishing from a kayak or canoe?
I was told by a fella that he would not fish from his kayak in Carr Lake because of big gators.
I don't fish from a kayak much but I'm sure it's okay, I just wouldn't crowd one too much. Although I fished micosukee a few years ago last time they drained it and there were 10ft+ gators everywhere. They were swimming up trying to eat my cork, I wouldn't have wanted to be in a yak there.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I accidentally caught one by surprise once, and she gave me a scare.but she was just trying to get back in the water. Just be cautious, you should be fine.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I've been close to big ones at Seminole and the O river in my 11' canoe before. They all submerged, which gave me the creeps a little :o
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

I kayak fish in Lake Lafayette on a regular basis. As mentioned before it is really creepy when they sink down and you glide over their bubbles. I've never had one get aggressive though.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

Had one swim directly towards the front of my yak from about 50 yards away, and bump it hard with it's nose. I wasn't scared a bit.
Oh yea, I forgot to mention it was only about 4' long. I can't picture myself calmly watching a 10 footer doing that.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Search "Alligator" and/or "Guana Lake" on the forum of jaxkayakfishing.com to read some interesting encounters kayak anglers have had with alligators. (Guana Lake on Florida's East Coast near Ponte Vedra Beach is very popular for kayak fishing and has a robust population of alligators.)

Most important is to know for your area when alligators are breeding and nesting. Male alligators can be aggressive and defensive and female alligators have a strong maternal instinct to protect a nest and her young.

Where alligators are present they have been known to go after baits/lures and hooked fish as well as fish in the water on a stringer.

Be cautious and vigilant should you find yourself out of the kayak (voluntarily or otherwise) and in the water.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I was fishing Bivens Arm many many years ago in a tiny 12 foot jon. Had my Lab with me, just me and him. I was sculling along the bank and absolutely tearing up the bass. My lab liked to watch me pull the fish in and would lean over the boat as I did. A 28 foot alligator (okay, he was probably a 10 footer, but he seemed larger in that little boat) was following me. He submerged and then popped up about 10 feet off the back of the boat, keeping pace with me. He was waiting for the dog to fall in, I am convinced. I loaded up and left. I was never scared for me, but I was dang sure scared for my dog.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
bman

Post by bman »

Redbelly wrote:Has anyone ever had a Gator get aggressive with you while fishing from a kayak or canoe?
I have a green sit in Kayak and had a big gator come up to me at Carr. I think he thought I was another gator coming into his or her area.
I hunt gators and this one was an easy 10footer.
Surfaced two feet off the side of my yak and looked at me. I held my paddle up and yelled at it and the big-un submerged.
I got the hell out of there fast. I'm pretty sure there was a rooster tail behind me ;-)
scared me and that was all...

I would go back in a bright color yak.

Did make me rethink my plan to putt jaws on the front of my green yak like a wwII fighter ;-)
curtiss-p-40-warhawk.jpg
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

If they get too close just tap them on the head with your paddle. They normally turn around pretty quickly after that. Oh, also be mindful when you using a top water plug. They will follow the plug up to your boat and into it if you let them. :o
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Don't get caught after sundown paddling the sharp bends in Horns Creek at the St Marks Refuge during mating season. I got souvenir bite marks on a sit on top (just missed my leg) after bumping into a 9 footer.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

onefishtwofish wrote:I was fishing Bivens Arm many many years ago in a tiny 12 foot jon. Had my Lab with me, just me and him. I was sculling along the bank and absolutely tearing up the bass. My lab liked to watch me pull the fish in and would lean over the boat as I did. A 28 foot alligator (okay, he was probably a 10 footer, but he seemed larger in that little boat) was following me. He submerged and then popped up about 10 feet off the back of the boat, keeping pace with me. He was waiting for the dog to fall in, I am convinced. I loaded up and left. I was never scared for me, but I was dang sure scared for my dog.
Boo and I have had this experience multiple times in my aluminum boat. A month or two ago we had three gators in a creek stalking us. Boo likes to growl at them which seems to encourage them. I keep fishing until I'm afraid he is going to try and retrieve on, then I fire up the 90hp blender and find a new hole. I know an old timer that used to carry a broom handle with a nail on it bream fishing. Claimed he could ruin their equilibrium with one poke?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I've had to use my push pole to fend more than one big azz gator off of a hooked fish in the creeks of St. Marks.

The sides on my Gheenoe are not NEARLY high enough when that happens.

I keep my distance and have a healthy respect for the big ones.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

These are some good replies :-D

Barry I have a dark colored 12' yak, I like the teeth idea :lol:
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc