How I fillet trout.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

How I fillet trout.

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Not that I know what I'm doing but I have cleaned more fish than I care to count. Trout,flounder,sheepshead,bass,Seabass,bream and reds. This is the way I do trout to yield a boneless filet that you can feed your kids without worry. (Note before cooking run a finger all over the fillet to check for bones you may have missed and pull them out). I start by cutting right behind the head half way through then straight back down the side and angle down to just behind the anus. Image. Then I spin the fish around and follow the backbone of the fish down past the anus. A good flexible sharp blade is essential. I use an Opinial made in France. It's not expensive. Image. Then I push the knife all the way through and fillet the rest of the way to the tail. Image. Then repeat on the other side. Image. Image. Then starting at the tail of the fillets work the skin off the fillets with the blade basically parallel to the board. (This part takes practice. Sometimes years.) Image
I then take the knife and cut closely behind the rib bones on the fillet and remove them. This eliminates all of the bones. (Don't forget to check with your fingers as you don't want a child choking on a bone.) Image. Further I like to cut the fillets into fingers and fry. Kids love fish sticks. You don't lose much removing the belly meat. I hope this helps ones that struggle cleaning fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: How I fillet trout.

Post by silverking »

My method is similar, except instead of removing the filet from the carcass I simply slice almost to the tail but leave the side on butterflied. That makes it easier to skin since you can hold on to the fish and really flex the knife against the tabletop to cleanly remove the meat. I use a Victorinox 7-inch filet knife and it does a great job.

HnM, did you ever try that bacon-wrapped finger recipe brushed with olive oil and grilled? Plan to do another batch of those after my next trip. Dust with Italian seasoning and serve with a rice pilaf. Very tasty.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

silverking wrote:My method is similar, except instead of removing the filet from the carcass I simply slice almost to the tail but leave the side on butterflied. That makes it easier to skin since you can hold on to the fish and really flex the knife against the tabletop to cleanly remove the meat. I use a Victorinox 7-inch filet knife and it does a great job.

HnM, did you ever try that bacon-wrapped finger recipe brushed with olive oil and grilled? Plan to do another batch of those after my next trip. Dust with Italian seasoning and serve with a rice pilaf. Very tasty.
. Not yet but sounds delicious.

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Please give the recipe!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Here's the best endorsement I can give for Dave's (Silverking's) bacon-wrapped trout recipe...

I do occasional fish cookouts for my high school track/cross-country teams. There are always kids who turn their nose up at fish. When I brought a plate full of bacon-wrapped trout for the holdouts, they started with a timid take of a single offering.

Within twenty minutes, the plate went empty, and the kids were begging me to go fishing again. Thanks, Dave!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That sounds awesome!

Team Jolly Mon
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Nice! Cleaned 5 yesterday for dinner in my old fashioned way. This way looks easier, will try next opportunity. Thanks.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sounds great. Do you par cook the bacon first? A lot of folks cook duck and dove similarly, but if you don't par cook the bacon, the over cooked duck/dove will taste like liver.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Salty Gator wrote:
Sounds great. Do you par cook the bacon first? A lot of folks cook duck and dove similarly, but if you don't par cook the bacon, the over cooked duck/dove will taste like liver.

I don't, but I use turkey bacon instead of pork. The bacon wrap holds in the moisture of the fish on the grill.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

I don't, but I use turkey bacon instead of pork. The bacon wrap holds in the moisture of the fish on the grill.
Gotcha, do you try to completely wrap the fish in bacon? Kind of overlapping as you wrap( like your wrap an ace bandage)?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I slice the filets into narrow fingers and roll them both together. If they're still too thick I use a couple toothpicks to hold it together.

Will post some pix the next time I fix them.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

silverking wrote:I slice the filets into narrow fingers and roll them both together. If they're still too thick I use a couple toothpicks to hold it together.

Will post some pix the next time I fix them.
. Image. Don't think I did it right.

DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

silverking wrote:My method is similar, except instead of removing the filet from the carcass I simply slice almost to the tail but leave the side on butterflied. That makes it easier to skin since you can hold on to the fish and really flex the knife against the tabletop to cleanly remove the meat. I use a Victorinox 7-inch filet knife and it does a great job.

I do the same. It makes it easier to slide the fillet off the skin with your knife.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Looks pretty dang-gum good! How you do on Friday?