Trashcan Tripletail

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Trashcan Tripletail

Post by reelhandy »

Saw something floating SW of the Shell Point Light. Got closer to check it out and saw it was a grey Brute plastic trashcan with Tripletail under it. Two smaller fish and a good sized one. Backed off and threw a firetiger paddle grub and got the tail bit off. I had another rig, white body with an orange paddle, and the bigger one took it. After a strong but short run it shot clear of the water and came undone. After that they left the area of the trashcan. From what I've heard there's a good chance they would return, but I couldn't wait them out. So if you're out there and see a 30 gallon grey trashcan floating around, ease in on it and give it a shot. If you hook up be prepared for it to really jump. I wasn't.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Trashcan Tripletail

Post by DixieReb »

That's cool. I used to hear stories about how cobia like to lay under structure just like that. One of the guys used to kid around about bringing an old door with him fishing so he could set it out and draw in some cobes.
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report, RH. Yep, tripletail can jump. And pull. And find the closest bit of structure to break you off in a Mashes Sands minute. Great fish!

I've got a feature coming out in the September issue of Salt Water Sportsman on the big ones over in Mississippi Sound. There's a cult following for "black fish" there. :thumbup:

An old Panhandle trick was to lay out several pages of newspapers off the beach troughs and then come back later to see who was home. FWC would probably frown on deliberately putting trash in the water nowadays and rightly so.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

I've run across crab corks attached to squares of plywood and anchored around st vincent. Figured they were tt attractors.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

There's quite a few FAD's around St. Vincent. Some that are fairly harmless, others like the type you mention, woopty.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I used to go out with a guy who kept 1/4" plywood in the boat. Had a small rod with a flag on it. We'd toss them out with a 10# weight on a rope. We would check it a few times a day. Caught Dorado and cobes

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk