Bonus fish trip saturday

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfalcon

Bonus fish trip saturday

Post by fishfalcon »

Went down to the coast Saturday about lunchtime for a little saltwater therapy. My son slept in so I ended up fishing alone. I launched and ran to my first spot with no luck. Spot number two yielded two shorts and a hardhead. It was windy, but I decided to make another move. I ran a line of crab traps and saw one short tripletail that refused both of my offerings. Water was dirtier than the last time I fished and it was hard to see. I got to about 7 feet of water and decided to start fishing. I threw the twitch bait and on the second twitch - WHAM! Good fish on. It started to take drag and then went on a blistering run. I look up and the fish jumps- big tarpon! I start the boat and the race is on to catch him before I get spooled. I am looking at my last 15 feet of line when I palm the spool and put the boat on plane. I finally get some line back and the fish jumps three more times. I can't believe I am still hooked up on my trout rig. The fish then starts bulldogging and the slugfest is on. He ran under the boat several times and even got hung in the swim ladder once and still did not break me off. One hour and 15 minutes in, he finally rolls on the surface and I am able to grab him. Bass fishermen, trying to lip a 5-6 foot fish is a whole different rodeo. I got a few photos with my phone and some terrible video and then resuscitated the fish. Huge thrill to let him go to catch him again. Took a break and idled back in- I probably chased him a mile and caught a limit of trout before I ran in. Crazy day, but awesome

Fshchsr17

Re: Bonus fish trip saturday

Post by Fshchsr17 »

Great post. Awesome fish. High on my bucket list.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Great job. Amazing. What general area were you fishing? Had Heard there were some here already.
Yellowduckdog

Post by Yellowduckdog »

That's awesome, catching unexpected fish is great anyway but a tarpon unreal, congrats
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Awesome. Gotta ask what kind of line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nicely done! With the water temps pushing the upper 70s and warmer days expected this week there should be a big push early this season.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Very nice! Were the trout out in 7 ft. also?
Yours in the South
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

:thumbup: Very nice! I bet your son wishes he hadn't overslept!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

20 lb power pro on a 30 series reel with 18" of 30 lb fluorocarbon leader. Trout were caught in 3-6 feet of water.
bman

Post by bman »

That is awesome!!

I fixed the photos for you :thumbup: :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That's great. I love when something epic happens when someone slept in. Congratulations
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow that's awesome congrats

wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Very nice! I doubt I would have had the composure to do all that alone. Impressed

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Very cool.

I went with my BIL last year to fish down south with him. He has been fishing there for over a year and had never hooked a tarpon. We had 5 crabs to pitch at them and I hooked one on my third cast. I hollered "Fish on" and he was mucking around in the back of the boat. I finally said to my SIL, tell him to fire up that motor or I am gonna be spooled! He had heard me, but thought I was joking. An hour later, we pulled him along side.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Awesome! :beer: :beer:
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....