Indian pass campground boat ramp

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hardhead

Post by hardhead »

So I'm thinking about exploring around Indian pass this weekend. Looking at the campground boat ramp on google earth. Is there no where to dock the boat to pickup my passengers after they park the car. The ramp looks like it's just got sand on both sides. I see a dock to the north kinda around the corner. Is that it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wsphatfish

Re: Indian pass campground boat ramp

Post by wsphatfish »

Those are docks on both sides of the ramp. The tides move pretty swiftly in and out of the pass so keep that in mind

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

If the tide is going out or coming in it can be tricky to launch there. The water can move through there pretty good. You can pick up your riders further down by the campground. Be VERY careful in the bay directly to the north and NW of the ramp. It is loaded with oyster bars and balls that are very hard to see in the muddy water. I got in there once and when I got out I swore I wouldn't go back in there without a local showing me around. Further east is safer. You can see most of the oyster bars I'm talking about on google maps.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

All good advice above.

IP is one of the most challenging places to launch, load, and explore along our section of the coast.

It's a cool area.....but you better have damn good navigation and boat handling skills.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Alright. That's a healthy dose of caution. I guess I better put that trip off a while until I can get some local knowledge. That's one of the things I love about this site. Thanks guys.

bbb

Post by bbb »

hardhead wrote:Alright. That's a healthy dose of caution. I guess I better put that trip off a while until I can get some local knowledge. That's one of the things I love about this site. Thanks guys.

What size boat? The bulkheads at the ramp do a good job of breaking up the current. So when your coming in to put the boat in the trailer, you go from fighting all the current, to almost none when you're 10 yards from the trailer. Real tricky for some of the holiday boaters.

Neat area having oyster bars, beaches and grass flats all within a few miles. Some neat looking islands out in front of St Vincent. Looks like your own private island. Bet those pompano pinch in right there.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I went out of there in January and on the way back in watched what I am sure was a guide bang his boat pretty badly against the concrete when he over compensated for the current that was ripping out.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Yeah. Not interested in that kinda stress just yet. Decided to fish st. marks instead. Glad y'all gave me a heads up before I ran headlong into something half cocked!

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

hardhead wrote:Yeah. Not interested in that kinda stress just yet. Decided to fish st. marks instead. Glad y'all gave me a heads up before I ran headlong into something half cocked!

If you are wanting to fish over that way, St. Joe Bay is just down the road and its and easy place to get in and out of. Three ramps. 2 on 98 and one out on the Cape in the State Park.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Don't know what size boat you have, but if you launch from sgi at the bridge, it's just a hop skip and jump to the west pass, st. Vincent island and those islands your looking at. There is a few bars inside the pass so take it easy there.