Here we go again...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Here we go again...

Post by Steve Stinson »

Craig's List Tally ad -

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/6148605320.html

Hello, I'm taking out charter trips out of Steinhatchee and Horseshoe Beach, if anyone would like to go fishing along the Gulf Coast. We catch mostly trout but other species as well, including mackerel, bluefish and ladyfish. Lots of fun using artificials, but we also use bait. My new aluminum skiff is 16 feet long, so I can only take two guests. I can go on fairly short notice and charge $250 total for the day, and stay out later than most boats. I'm not watching the clock. We see sharks, cobia and even tarpon out there, and can set out a heavier rod for them. We can also go ashore to eat lunch or take a break. We go after scallops too, starting in mid-June. Email with any questions.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Here we go again...

Post by Juan »

$250 and a 16' aluminum skiff? :smt005 I wonder who has to paddle.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Is this one for real? :-?
Yours in the South
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

You know, if they advertise on Craig's list I assume they are expecting a reply. Both this ad and the last one were there.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Might not be bad if it's $250 for the 2 of you. But that is a small rig to be taking clients out in.
Yours in the South
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

Makes me wonder if he's a licensed captain.Would be in a bunch of legal hurt if he gets caught.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

wacissaguy wrote:Makes me wonder if he's a licensed captain.Would be in a bunch of legal hurt if he gets caught.
That's my point exactly. This is a disaster waiting to happen - No training, no safety equipment, and a sixteen foot boat. Hopefully, FWC will pay him a visit and explain the laws to him.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

It would make more sense just to advertise to take people out fishing and have them pay for the gas, ramp fees, and other expenses like a meal. Not advertise that he is guiding for hire. He would still be responsible for making sure whoever he takes out has their fishing license. He could go fishing and spend next to nothing and still have a good time. :smt004
Yours in the South
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Actually, I think the way the law reads is that if your guests pay for any portion of your trip, you are considered "for hire" and are supposed to have a Captains Lic. Now, I know that is not the way the law is enforced, but I believe that is the way that it reads.
This ad, however seems to be a blatant violation.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Steve is correct. If you accept compensation then you must be licensed and have all the other requirements (insurance, fishing license, drug screening, medical clearance, etc.).

Same situation as contractors, roofers, electricians or any other service providers. For guides it's a matter of competency, knowledge of navigation rules and safety as well as consumer protection.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Interesting, didn't know it was illegal to chip in for gas. We all know it's considered bad etiquette not to help clean the boat and not to offer to chip in for gas. I don't ask my guests for gas money even for offshore days, but I have had them buy breakfast or lunch if they insisted. But I've definitely chipped in for gas on another's boat. I wonder if anyone has been busted for accepting half the gas bill from a buddy.
So to get this straight, no chipping in on gas, ice, or bait? What about drinks and cold fried chicken?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

So, I better work on getting a captain's license since I take guys out and they help with the gas. I could have done that years ago and made some serious money! :lol:
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sharing expenses between friends is not illegal. Taking someone out to fish and getting paid without the proper documentation is.

This ad has been removed from CL.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

Salty Gator wrote:Interesting, didn't know it was illegal to chip in for gas. We all know it's considered bad etiquette not to help clean the boat and not to offer to chip in for gas. I don't ask my guests for gas money even for offshore days, but I have had them buy breakfast or lunch if they insisted. But I've definitely chipped in for gas on another's boat. I wonder if anyone has been busted for accepting half the gas bill from a buddy.
So to get this straight, no chipping in on gas, ice, or bait? What about drinks and cold fried chicken?
Don't charge your buddies for gas to run offshore?? Man give me a call lets fish :D
Liam
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

CastTheFlats wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Interesting, didn't know it was illegal to chip in for gas. We all know it's considered bad etiquette not to help clean the boat and not to offer to chip in for gas. I don't ask my guests for gas money even for offshore days, but I have had them buy breakfast or lunch if they insisted. But I've definitely chipped in for gas on another's boat. I wonder if anyone has been busted for accepting half the gas bill from a buddy.
Don't charge your buddies for gas to run offshore?? Man give me a call lets fish :D
Liam
Come on man, got room for a Callahan ,, full disclosure we are fishing out of a 22' pathfinder. Last sat we probably burned 5-7 gallons to run out get 5 keeper gags and the 5 endangered ars. Released one of each. Then ran to dog for some socializing. I'm not running a big azz offshore sled. But when the days are right we've been known to run to 70" break out the chum churn and catch all the mangroves you want ( may burn 15-20 gallons then) Just have to pick your days
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven